Brightest LED for a G2?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a LED drop-in for my G2 to run off primaries or rechargeable, what is the brightest option out there right now?
I need to go to an LED for durability, quality (reliability) is also very important for this particular light.

Thanks!
David

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have to be careful running high output LED's in the G2 because it is plastic so it won't heat sync well. I have a Gene Malkoff M60 (P60 style drop-in) in my G2, but he recommends only running it for 15 minutes at a time in the G2. Wolf Eyes also makes some drop-ins that should be good, but I haven't tried them yet. You could probably also use a Dereelight Q4 3-Stage module.

bouncer

Enlightened
I'm looking at same setup for my 6p. I'll either go with Gene's or Bugout gear when I do. Yeah i'd consider calling surefire and ordering a matching G2z bezel assembly with the pyrex lense (unless your G2 is yellow) as well ,putting that much heat for more than a couple minutes WILL warp your lense and thats not good for a quality beam I bought a used old 6p that had the lexan lense melted.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies and suggestions..

Heat shouldn't be an issue, this is going to be installed to my coyote deterring shotgun, if heat is an issue than I can use my 9P but I was hoping to get away with a smaller body.

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
I put Deal Extreme's sku1447 in my G2 with a flashlightlens.com window in it and ran the old batteries for an hour. It was hot, but I think it wasn't *too* hot. I removed the head to feel the reflector and it was almost uncomfortably warm. I would say you could do 30 minutes with fresh batteries at 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Less if it's hotter, more if it's colder or the batteries are older.
A 6P would be better, no doubt.
The current draw of mine is 900mAH, so those ultrahigh-output LEDs give you a bit more light with a lot more heat.

For periodic on/off useage you can use the G2 with no problem. Caving or search party useage would be a problem (especially with a cheapo drop-in).

Brozneo

Enlightened
You may have to be careful running high output LED's in the G2 because it is plastic so it won't heat sync well. I have a Gene Malkoff M60 (P60 style drop-in) in my G2, but he recommends only running it for 15 minutes at a time in the G2. Wolf Eyes also makes some drop-ins that should be good, but I haven't tried them yet. You could probably also use a Dereelight Q4 3-Stage module.

+1 - go the malkoff!

USM0083

Enlightened
The Malkoff is sold out.. Looks like what I was after.

Anyone have any experience with the one from Lighthound?

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2605

I have one in an old 6P and it works very well. Nice concentrated beam with good throw for the size. The fact that it can handle up to 9V is nice. I have an older Cree drop in from PTS that is limited to 3.7-6V. In a side by side comparison they are both equally bright but the Lighthound one output is a bit whiter. I'm running it with a 17670 battery which gives about 2 hours of useful light. A 18650 would give you better runtime.

heckboy

Enlightened
I was just thinking about doing the same thing. I've got 3 G2s as emergency lights in cars and would like to swap them to LEDs to make sure run time is never an issue.

I emailed Surefire and here was their response:
Dear Sir,

The LED assembly used in the 6PL and G2L is the P60L. We are not yet selling the P60L separately. Please check back with us in 2-3 months. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world class customer service.
SureFire Technical Support1(800)828-8809 Toll Free(714)545-9444(714)545-9537 Fax
So to me this means Q108 for a drop-in replacement by Surefire. That's cool.

Later,
HB

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Q5 module from BOGUSA looks very tempting. 230-ish lumens from a C2/6P, etc. would be very interesting. It states that it has an "improved" beam pattern". I wonder what that means. Hopefully it has more of the light in the spot like a SSC. I'm trying to sell my new 6PL w DX drop in setup over at the marketplace. I'm trying to find the perfect high output module to compliment my G2L....

Last edited:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
i was able to buy a cree X-re drop in from someone in singapore. costs around 30 US dollars. runs perfectly on RCR123's as well. e-mail this guy he might be able to ship it to you. able to run it extended periods (>15minutes) without problems.

<[email protected]>:)

lightinsky

Enlightened
How many lumens is the one at dealextreme for 10 bucks? What is the runtime as far as regulation then diminishing? Thanks.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, read through the reviews just like I would have to. I've been tempted by the SF G2 lights for $30-40 lately, but I haven't researched that far into LED upgrades.