Best cheap LED keychain light?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I can't seem to find a thread using the search function.

Anyhow I plan on giving away several of these to co-workers at Christmas, I'd say between 30-50 pieces. Which of the cheapies are the best? Seeing as what I see, I think certainly they should be less then a dollar a piece. Also I would prefer some sort of semblance to a white beam. I've seen a cheapie that was really blue, definitely more blue then white. For starters, how are these from Kaidomaain, $4.68 for ten?

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1303

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought 10 pcs from Battery Junction for $1.00 each. They come in a clear body only. They are better than the Micro Freedom's I paid over $10.00 for. You won't be disapointed for a buck. They do have a slight blue tint to them but a very good round spot.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
50 of these or these for $0.438 each. They are bright, and surprisingly white. I have bought 30 of them and have given out many as gifts. All of been well received. They are an excellent copy of the $12 Photon II

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
Yes, these are certainly great deals. I prefer the clear version over the black ones, because they seem brighter due to the translucent body.

Haz

Enlightened
I also find the clear ones brighter, as there is side spill coming from the side of the light, that is normally lost in the black case. The only thing i don't like about the clear is the glare that is coming through the clear casing.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a ten-pack of 22000mcd clear ones from DX. After receiving them and using one for a while I really can't understand how people shell out $15+ for a photon when you can have one of these for a thirtieth of the money.
I don't think anything comes remotely close to the cheapies in terms of bang-per-buck.

Windscale

Enlightened
Cheapies are never best. Here in Hong Kong we have all sorts of cheapies. But they do work well. Three times I accidentally put my Proton clone (which was clipped to the zipper of my waistcoat) in the washing machine and it came out still working. The thing only cost me the equivalent of less than US$1. and it is still there.

josiah

Newly Enlightened
I also got a ten pack of the black DX 5mm lights a month or two ago. I'm quite impressed with how bright they are. From what it sounds like, you might get a dud or two out of a bunch, but all ten of mine came bright and the switches working well.

Yeah, they have a blue tint, but it's not terrible. Average people tend to be pretty impressed by them. Good gift idea! I'm going to be giving most of mine away, as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
In my first batch, I had two with flaky switches, and one that was turned on in shipping and the batteries ran down. After a little disassembly and bending of the LED leads, the two flakey ones work fine now.

Bearcat

Enlightened
50 of these or these for $0.438 each. They are bright, and surprisingly white. I have bought 30 of them and have given out many as gifts. All of been well received. They are an excellent copy of the $12 Photon II

You're right about these particular lights, they are biggest bang for the buck going. I have made a lot of people very happy handing these lights out to almost everyone I meet.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've had a lot of the various fauxtons and there's slight variations but not much real difference between them, so just go for the cheapest. I suggest getting them with black cases to avoid annoying backscatter through the other colored cases which are somewhat translucent. I've also given some out with RGB leds (about a buck apiece from qualitychinagoods.com) and they are always highly appreciated because of their novelty even though they're not so useful as flashlights.