Fenix P3D Q5 arrived yesterday

Optik49

Enlightened
My Fenix Q5 arrived yesterday, just in time for Halloween. :devil: WOW great light it's my favorite Fenix so far :thumbsup:. Also I dropped in two AW RCR123s and it works great with all three modes. Awesome beam, nice hot spot with great spill. I will try and get some beam shots when time allows.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Optik49, I am considering getting one too, but in doing a lot of reading on the rechargeable 123's, I get a little nervous. Are the protected ones considered pretty safe? How safe compared to normal NiMh AA's for example.

Last edited:

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix Q5 arrived yesterday, just in time for Halloween. :devil: WOW great light it's my favorite Fenix so far :thumbsup:. Also I dropped in two AW RCR123s and it works great with all three modes. Awesome beam, nice hot spot with great spill. I will try and get some beam shots when time allows.

I got my too..:D, Where do you get your AW RCR123s? are you recommended over primer CR123 with running time?

wishywashy7

Enlightened
congratulations! It really is a nice light. I got one in olive drab together with a L2D Q5 just for the option of being able to use a torch that uses AA.

I tried asking my wife to figure out which beam comes form the supposedly 200 lumen P3D Q5 and 175 lumen L2D. She couldn't tell which one is brighter. Her non-flasholic eyes could not detect the 25 lumen difference.

Enjoy!:wave:

mchlwise

Enlightened
I tried asking my wife to figure out which beam comes form the supposedly 200 lumen P3D Q5 and 175 lumen L2D. She couldn't tell which one is brighter. Her non-flasholic eyes could not detect the 25 lumen difference.

This actually isn't surprising, considering the amount of light we're talking about.

It IS a 25 lumen difference, but remember that 25 lumens is only 12.5% of what the P3D puts out, and 12.5% isn't much. Compared to each other, 200 lumens and 175 lumens don't look very different.

Optik49

Enlightened
Optik49, I am considering getting one too, but in doing a lot of reading on the rechargeable 123's, I get a little nervous. Are the protected ones considered pretty safe? How safe compared to normal NiMh AA's for example.

I got them from AW.
Look here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166496
I have 4 protected RCR123s and the smart charger. I have always used regular CR123s and I just started using these but from everything I have read and after talking to AW it think everything is fine.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I've read here on the battery forums, I believe the newer chemistry of lithium rechargeables, LiPO4, will not release oxygen if damaged or abused. This prevents the batteries from venting flammable gas, which does not happen very often with regular lithium batteries, but can. The downside is less overall capacity, but unless you are using the light in a situation where you are needing every last mAh and/or can't carry spares, you just charge them up again. There is no memory effect when charging lithium batteries, so you don't have to wait till they're run down - just charge them anytime. note: don't mix chargers with diffferent types of cells, use the charger that is made for a specific cell.

BatteryJunction sells both chemistries of lithium rechargable batteries, and I believe AW does also. BOth businesses are well respected here.

As far a NiMH rechargables goes, I believe these would be considered very safe, possibly the safest rechargables, although the LiPO4 may approach or equal their safety. The lithiums do deliver more than twice the voltage per cell though, so many lights using them will be brighter.

UWAK

Enlightened
Is this new P3D still plagued by a sudden brightness light before a low level light?

Frids

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Yes, I think they call it "turbo-flash" syndrome, when changing modes. Doesn't really bother me. The L2D Q5 i got with my P3D Q5 doesn't have it as much though.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses Optik49 and LED_Thrift! I realize this has turned into more questions about batteries, but my confidence in the RCR123 batteries will drive my decision to get a P3D Q5.

Now to possibly 'shake up' this discussion, I intend to use the P3D Q5 sometimes while running at night. I'm wondering if this added shaking could make matters worse? Any thoughts?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm...

I just received 3 P3Ds (R100&Q5) and 4 L2Ds (R100s&Q5s). None of the P3Ds have the preflash. All of the L2Ds have the preflash.

Also, the Q5 version of the P3D is advertised as 215 lumens, not 200.

Many were gifts, but you can bet (selfish me) I hunted through the batch and snagged myself one of each. I chose a R100 L2D for its beautiful slightly rose-tinted color, and a Q5 P3D, for its brilliant white with a little blue tint.

Having been able to compare 9 Fenix'es at once (also got 2 P1Ds), I can tell you the LED lottery is alive and well. One of the Q5 P1Ds is just a nasty green.

Last edited:

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
congratulations! It really is a nice light. I got one in olive drab together with a L2D Q5 just for the option of being able to use a torch that uses AA.

Enjoy!:wave:

Non-Flashoholic eyes ! :crackup::laughing: I love it !!

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Hm...

I just received 3 P3Ds (R100&Q5) and 4 L2Ds (R100s&Q5s). None of the P3Ds have the preflash. All of the L2Ds have the preflash.

Also, the Q5 version of the P3D is advertised as 215 lumens, not 200.

Many were gifts, but you can bet (selfish me) I hunted through the batch and snagged myself one of each. I chose a R100 L2D for its beautiful slightly rose-tinted color, and a Q5 P3D, for its brilliant white with a little blue tint.

Having been able to compare 9 Fenix'es at once (also got 2 P1Ds), I can tell you the LED lottery is alive and well. One of the Q5 P1Ds is just a nasty green.

quite the opposite of mine:shrug: i guess there is a turbo-flash lottery as well.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
quite the opposite of mine:shrug: i guess there is a turbo-flash lottery as well.
Does any one have a P3D with the preflash?

I think that is only a P2D issue, but if not I'll had mine (P3D-Q5) to the list with absolutely NO preflash. :grin2:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any one have a P3D with the preflash?

I think that is only a P2D issue, but if not I'll had mine (P3D-Q5) to the list with absolutely NO preflash. :grin2:

My new P2D Q5 has the turbo flash. Does'nt bother me but I would think it would be easy enough to fix?

berto

Newly Enlightened
Both of my pd3 rebels dont preflash. I never hear of a pd3 with preflash it has a different circuit than the other pd flaslights.