Micro/keychain AAA recommendations?

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks

I see some older threads comparing the ArcAAA products and alternatives like the L0P, but how about the latest stuff - anyone with an L0D CE or RB80 that can give me some info? Specs sure look impressive. Arc still holding its own? Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA and LOD are completely different lights for completely different purposes. The Arc is all about simplicity and reliability, where the LOD is about multiple levels and brightness. The Arc is dimmer, but is smaller and is generally considered bomb proof. In CPF spirit, buy both!! You'll find a use for them. If not, you have taken care of one Christmas present for someone close to you.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For most normal uses, go for the L0D-CE, but if you need a very tough light, go for the Arc AAA DS.

Arc beats the Fenix or overall toughness but the Fenix beats Arc for brightness.

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
I bought a few of these AAA's from kaidomain and have been really happy with them. The are really bright.

KD 1AAA SCC U-bin SX0H Buckle Flashlight

They have a beamshot there comparing it to a Fenix LOD CE

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of people here with L0D-CE and probably quite a few with L0D-RB80. I think the specs pretty much tell the story on the lumens. The latest Arc AAA is like the L0D-CE on low, it's meant as a task light where you are often using it in very close proximity to your eyes. The Arc also has the simpler interface. The L0D-CE is MUCH brighter on high and as other have pointed out has lots of modes. ARC is considered the toughest, but few (if any) have beat up their L0D enough to kill it.

I love my L0D-CE, but I've recently been really impressed with the interface on the Photon Freedom micro-light. It's better than 90% of the flashlights out there; maybe even 95%. I could not retire the L0D, so I added a red-light PF to the key chain.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks - my use for this light will probably involve more than just up close stuff, so perhaps I'm better off with an L0D for now. I don't tend to beat up these things too much. Give me time I guess :whistle:

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip - from the small beamshot pic there it seems to have more output than the L0D. While they are sold out of 'em I'll do some more checking around. Man these things have come a long way since the AAA MicroMags and such !

Anyone with the L0D and KD 1AAA SX0H that can compare size, lumens, etc ?

paulr

Flashaholic
The Fenix gets a noticably warm on high but not alarmingly. The Arc gets just perceptibly warm.

Ned, if you think either of these lights will satisfy you, then they probably will. My main gripe about the Fenix is the computerized UI, where you have to turn the light on and off repeatedly to change levels. But it gets surprisingly bright for a light that size. Make sure to get some rechargeable AAA cells for it. They will perform much better than alkalines. The Arc runs great on alkalines but it's much less powerful, more of a connoisseur's light.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
My main gripe about the Fenix is the computerized UI, where you have to turn the light on and off repeatedly to change levels.

I've seen the video on the web for the Olight T15 - the business of turning the bezel with your 2nd hand 1/8th of a turn and back again just to change brightness levels. Seems kinda cumbersome esp if you're carrying something in your other hand. So the Fenix's (sp?) have the same setup, even for the microlights?

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
Turned the KD 1AAA and set it down while having breakfast. 30 min. later I picked it up, and the head was just a little little warm. A minute in my hand and the heat was barely detectable.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I've seen the video on the web for the Olight T15 - the business of turning the bezel with your 2nd hand 1/8th of a turn and back again just to change brightness levels. Seems kinda cumbersome esp if you're carrying something in your other hand. So the Fenix's (sp?) have the same setup, even for the microlights?
You can do it one-handed with a bit of dexterity. Anyway, some CPF'ers like this type of thing, others don't, I'm one of the ones who doesn't, but you shouldn't interpret my tastes as representative of everyone else's.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the lead on the LF2, Stereodude - another good looking option. I like the memory/setup option - wish Fenix would add that.

There are enough high quality AAA's out there now for a nice review of them all if someone has the dough and the time <hint>

I might start with the Kai, just wish runtimes were higher (compromise for lumens I suppose)

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak is considering putting a cree in a matterhorn for me and will let me know if it works out in a few weeks. Just another option to consider

krushed

Newly Enlightened
For a budget, you might consider checking out the sale that Fenix-Store is having. 25% off clearance items. I picked up 3 L0P-SE lights there. They're an older generation LED (Luxeon I) but plenty bright and a good deal.

The best part is that prominently displayed on the shipping label pasted on the envelope it said "loP-Sex3 Deoxr" on mine. Thanks Fenix-Store. Now my mailwoman is going to think I'm super kinky and just bought some crazy sex toys. :twothumbs