Help Me Find A Multimode Light

Akita

Newly Enlightened
:D I need some input from the veterans here.

Here's the situation:

I work in plant maintenance and carry two lights with me at all times...a SF G2 and a Streamlight Twin Task 2L.
The G2 is great for inspecting cooling towers,transformers,and rooftop HVAC units at night up to 100 ft away on a nightly basis...the G2 is very good for this type of illumination...no complaints :>)
The Streamlight TT 2L is absolutely useless for this type of task because the throw is a joke at any distance over 30 ft.

But...quite often I need a fairly bright work light for electrical or plumbing repair that might require up to 8 hours of usable LED light in complete darkness...this is where the Streamlight 2L really gets the job done thanks to it's dual mode xenon/led versatility and long run times in LED mode.

Quite frankly it's a drag carrying two lights everywhere I go.
I'm looking to replace both lights with one if that's possible.
I prefer the CR123s,but I'm open to whatever gets the job done as long as the size is similar to the Streamlight 2L.

My question:

Does such a multi mode light exist ?

Any advice and input would be appreciated.

ugrey

Enlightened
Gee, this is easy. Two battery Incands. can no longer match the two battery Cree LEDs. Get a Fenix P3D. It has 5 modes. Turbo is about 100 lumens and lasts for 1.8 hours. High is about 64 lumens and lasts for 3 hours. Medium is about 32 lumens and lasts for 7.5 hours. Low is 23 lumens and lasts for 31 hours. The other 2 modes are SOS and strobe. I doubt you will use those, although strobe is great for signaling. All the P3D modes are regulated which means that they stay exactly at that level until the battery can no longer support it and then it drops to the next level. The G2, on fresh batteries, is 80 lumens and drops to about 40 after one hour, then drops quickly to zero. Turbo lasts 1.8 hours at 100 lumens for the whole time, and throws just as far as your G2. Cost is $50 to $60.

The P3D is brighter, smaller and more efficient than either of your two lights. What's not to like? You are going to be one happy camper.

Akita

Newly Enlightened
:eek: Dang...that was easy.

Thanks ugrey...sounds like the perfect multimode light for my situation.

I'll give the G2 to a coworker and stash the 2L in the glove box of my truck for emergencies.

I'll be ordering one tomorrow :>)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the Olight T-20(or the brighter Q5 version). More throw(and a slightly larger size), better grip, and a thicker body then the P3D.

Both lights would suit you fine for your task. Keep the G2(and add a LED drop-in) as a back up.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D I need some input from the veterans here.

Here's the situation:

I work in plant maintenance and carry two lights with me at all times...a SF G2 and a Streamlight Twin Task 2L.
The G2 is great for inspecting cooling towers,transformers,and rooftop HVAC units at night up to 100 ft away on a nightly basis...the G2 is very good for this type of illumination...no complaints :>)
The Streamlight TT 2L is absolutely useless for this type of task because the throw is a joke at any distance over 30 ft.

But...quite often I need a fairly bright work light for electrical or plumbing repair that might require up to 8 hours of usable LED light in complete darkness...this is where the Streamlight 2L really gets the job done thanks to it's dual mode xenon/led versatility and long run times in LED mode.

My question:

Does such a multi mode light exist ?

Any advice and input would be appreciated.

Either the Fenix P3D Q5 or the Olight T20 Q5 would fit your needs perfectly. I own the P3D Q5 and did a review of it in the review section if you want to check that out.
The P3D Q5 puts out nearly 200 lumens on Turbo for 100 minutes of perfect flat regulation. I don't think any light on the market can touch that in its size range. Here is a runtime/output graph by our very respected Chevrofreak:

http://www.chevrofreak.com/Fenix P3D - various LED's.png

It also puts out 10 lumens for over 65 hours on low which would be perfect for your low light need.

The Olight T20 Q5 would work great for you too I'm sure, but I haven't used it first hand so I can't recommend it as highly.