One last question: SF L1 (cree) vs. LumaPower D-Mini Digital

Fooboy

Enlightened
Does anyone have these 2 lights and have any information on which one has the best throw?

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: One last question: Throw - SF L1 (cree) vs. LumaPower D-Mini Digital

I do have an L1 CREE and an original D-Mini: the beam of the Lumapower goes surely much farther. Besides the D-Mini is credited with a higher lumen output and has a smooth reflector versus the SF TIR optics and frosted lens.
Of course the L1 is much more useable thanks to its wider and cleaner beam.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Thanks! A couple more questions!

How do they compare with lumen output over time? Which one has the better regulation?

Also - I thought surefire measured actual lumens some distance from the emitter and other companies (like lumapower) measure lumens at the emitter?

Any chance anyone has a couple beam shots of the two?

Given that the Surefire is nearly double the price of the D-mini Digital ... any advice on which way I should go? (don't say both! :))

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am answering your questions starting from the bottom: IMO the D-Mini is a nice gadget worth having while SF L1 CREE is a Flashlight (please note the capital F). :cool:

Usually Surefire measures the real output of the flashlight while most if not all the Asian manufacturers supply the figure given by the LED maker as nominal lumens at the source. The difference can be up to 30%.

Beamshots and runtime graphs can be found here.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2076061&postcount=1

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2076061&postcount=1

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179065

And finally because you asked specifically not to tell you "buy both" I can quote the EDC Forum crowd motto: "Two is one and one is none" :grin2:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a L1 (actually two, both the Luxeon and Cree) and a D-Mini. I like both a lot but can't help thinking the L1 is fairly priced and the D-Mini is overpriced.

I know that LumaPower produces great lights, but the D-Mini is almost the same price as the L1 (that is if you know where to buy it). The L1 has Surefire's awesome warrantry, top-notch build quality and is American made.

Not that there is anything wrong with lights made in China, but frankly given labor costs and the lesser-known nature of LumaPower, the light should be cheaper.

Just my $0.02

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D-Mini can be cheaper but you loose warranty, try Dealextreme's D-Mini.

If you are just looking at price and most throw, the D-mini is your best choice. If you need bomb proof quality and a good backing without being too worried about the price, the Surefire L1 would be the choice(or you could ask for a Milky Mod that might suit you even better if you don't mind the higher cost).