Mag tricks for Malkoff Dropin?

txmatt

Enlightened
I recently got a Malkoff dropin for my existing 3D Mag. It's great so far and I have a UCL lens on the way and may get a stippled reflector at some point to complement the stock reflector I cut down. I had thought about getting a 4D host but don't need another Mag, especially one bigger than the 3D monster.

But that got me wondering... are there any tricks from the hot wire or HID mods that we could apply to the Malkoffs? I've read about the C batteries in place of D's, but what about AA's in the place of C's or D's? Are there any C or D dummy cells that hold 2 AA's connected in series such that 2 of these dummies in a 2C or 2D Mag would give a small light with 4 cells in series? This would obviously be at the expense of runtime, but it would be cool to get 3D or 4D brightness from a 2D Mag. I'd prefer dummy cells that wouldn't require boring out the Mag body if possible.

Matt

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get some AA to D convertors and rewire to increase voltage but be careful not to exceed Malkoff max. But I am currently useing 3Cs in my 2D mag and loving it

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't go over 6 volts.

You might try the 4C trick, esp with NiMH C cells.

txmatt

Enlightened
The trick setup would be a 2D with dummy cells holding a total of 4 (or maybe 5) AA NiMH's in series. Five 1.2 volt cells would put you right at 6 volts like four 1.5 volts cells do. And if four alkalines which come at 1.6+ volts don't hurt, I'm guessing NiMH's which come off the charger at 1.3 or so would be okay.

All that said, I'll probably just stick with my 3D and maybe try out the 4xC cell trick.

Gene43

Enlightened
5 Rechargeables will sometimes make the driver do funny things (cycling and flashing) as the rechargeables are built for high current draw and won't pull the voltage down into spec. like it will with alkalines.

Gene

TexLite

Enlightened
Can malkoff even run off 1 cell?

Depending on the adapter,the Mags PurpleDrazi linked to can be run with Four AA cells in series,for a total of 4.8V.A small but potent solution to the size of a 3D or 4D mag,though at the expense of runtime.

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the adapter,the Mags PurpleDrazi linked to can be run with Four AA cells in series,for a total of 4.8V.A small but potent solution to the size of a 3D or 4D mag,though at the expense of runtime.

Yeah . . . I forgot to mention that. :(

btw . . . does anyone know where I can get a good 4AA to 1D adaptor?

I've seen the one here:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_56_73

any other recommendations?

Francis