Fenix L2D - sudden death (problem solved - loose part)

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Got an L2D CE last March. Been using it every day as a lamp. Easily 4-8 hours/day, over 200 days use.. between 900-1800 hours of use. At least 1000 hours. Worked flawlessly the entire time, using NiMH rechargeable batts. I went to replace the batteries today after lamp had grown dim (yes I put them in correctly!). Lamp was suddenly dead, would not respond to clicky switch. Tried several different sets of batteries, no luck. Again been using this light indoors, never dropped.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix L2D - sudden death

Try cleaning all contacts with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, try bypassing the switch.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

If that doesn't work, try tightening the retaining ring in the tailcap.

If still not working and you are in the US, try contacting Fenix Store.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have an Ohm meter check the tail cap. I'm betting that's what it is. If you don't have one maybe a friend can check it for you. Go from the metal ring inside the tail cap to the spring. It should read open and closed respectively as you turn the switch from off to on.

Let us know. If it is a dead LED I would find that very very interesting.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened

hm. never noticed both ends of this light can be unscrewed. with the back bit removed i was able to engage turbo mode by shorting battery to case using multimeter probe. LED is fine. so it appears to be a problem with the back clicky bit suddenly not working. sigh. have to monkey with that now..

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hm. never noticed both ends of this light can be unscrewed. with the back bit removed i was able to engage turbo mode by shorting battery to case using multimeter probe. LED is fine. so it appears to be a problem with the back clicky bit suddenly not working. sigh. have to monkey with that now..

Tell us how it goes. And if it's the clickie that failed you, dont forget to put your stats in the fenix-clickie failure-thread!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179206

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened

problem solved. when i went to clean endcap with q-tip i noticed silver ring (around base of battery spring) was loose. It has two notches located 180 degrees apart - i poked the multimeter probe in one and screwed this slightly loose bit back down. After the switch worked when tested using multimeter.. attached back to light and flashlight now works again. Happy to have lamp back.

Apparently over the months this part had grown loose. I probably replace the batteries once every day or two.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

.... I probably replace the batteries once every day or two.

Wow. For a light that is so good about using the batteries' energy efficiently, you must get a lot of use out of this light. I'm glad to hear that everything is OK now. If you use yours that much and it still works that is a great testimonial to the build quality.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened

Wow. For a light that is so good about using the batteries' energy efficiently, you must get a lot of use out of this light. I'm glad to hear that everything is OK now. If you use yours that much and it still works that is a great testimonial to the build quality.

I use it on medium to high, so 4-8 hours of light per charge. I tailstand the light (ceiling bounce) about a meter from the ceiling. Provides a cool subdued light... it makes a decent little lamp.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
whenever i change batteries i usually take off the head ..the tail is always screwed on tight

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed, with cheaper AA torches (ie DX) especially, that the tail clicky retaining ring becomes loose with changing batteries, as you have to tighten up the tail end, so it binds with the body.

I use a needlepoint tweezer for tightening, works a treat.

So, changing batteries daily will be the culprit I suspect.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had L2D suddenly and totally die - and it wasn't the tail cap issue. Replaced now, but Not sure what it was.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

problem solved. when i went to clean endcap with q-tip i noticed silver ring (around base of battery spring) was loose. It has two notches located 180 degrees apart - i poked the multimeter probe in one and screwed this slightly loose bit back down. After the switch worked when tested using multimeter.. attached back to light and flashlight now works again. Happy to have lamp back.

Apparently over the months this part had grown loose. I probably replace the batteries once every day or two.

I have removed similar switches from a tailcap. For the life of me, I can not figure out why the switch does not work unless it is screwed in tight. Switch completes internal contacts so that the spring can pass current to the body but it only works when the entire switch assembly is compressed via the two hole ring.

Anybody know the answer?

- Vikas

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
The switch and the spring sit on a little round PCB, which has a contact area formed like a ring on the outside.
This ring contact area needs to have contact to the silver ring.
So, the current can flow through the spring, the switch, the contact area, the silver ring, into the battery tube.
When the silver ring is not screwed in tight, the spring pushes the switch and the PCB away from the ring, thus opening the circuit.