surefire U2 on RCR124 cells

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
Just received my U2 back from SF repair , they gave me a new head. ( don't send battery tube if you want it back ) I was wondering will this light stand 2 RCR123 cells before the magic smoke comes out?. I am currently using a CGR18650C . while my light was at surefire I purchased a ASP triad LED. this thing blows away my U2 and it will run on 2 RCR123 cells . anybody tried the RCR 123 in there U2 yet?

Illum

Flashaholic

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info, guess I will keep the 18650 cell. I was hoping that the new U2 head would get brighter so it would keep up with the ASP triad . at least the new head is a good color.

Spence

Enlightened
To: Illum,

What are the advantages of the 17670's? Will one 17670 replace 2xCR123's perfectly? What's the best source for them and a recommended charger?
Thanks a bunch

:poke: :candle:

ja10

Enlightened
A 17670 is narrower than an 18650, so it will fit a lot of lights that the 18650 won't. It is very close in size to a stack of RCR123's, but I think it's 1 or 2 mm longer. I get my cells from AW, who you can find easily in the dealer section. He has quite a few cell and charger options, and good prices.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
You can get RCR123's in 3.7V or 3.0V versions. The 3.0's would be fine, but I'd be too chicken to run it on 3.7's. You might get away with the 3.7's if you only use it for a few seconds at a time though. If you did blow the the LED, you could mod it.

Roger

ja10

Enlightened
I think the problem is with blowing the circuitry, not the LED. I put RCRs in my U2 without thinking one time, and it started flickering right away. It was only on for a second or two, and it's fine now, but I would definitely not recommend it.

Also, one 17670 should get you a bit more capacity anyway - or at very least the same. It seems like a needless risk to take, only to save a few bucks on a charger and a couple batteries.

If you really want to try it, go for it, but this seems like one of those situations where the risk versus reward is not in your favor.

Luna

Enlightened
I think the problem is with blowing the circuitry, not the LED. I put RCRs in my U2 without thinking one time, and it started flickering right away. It was only on for a second or two, and it's fine now, but I would definitely not recommend it.

I've run mine hard (even 3 primaries with a19) You gain brightness yes but you lose the levels and could have a pretty little color display if you are unlucky and burn the emitter. Not worth really.