Hmm, I have the "itch" for a new light....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I really shouldn't be looking at new lights, after all Christmas is coming, I just got back into car payments (stupid rusted-out subframe in my '02 Neon, grrrr....), and I really don't have the disposable income for a new light.....

but Og-dammit, I have the *need*, bad....

Hmm.... Novatac EDC-85P or SureFire L1 Cree.....

No, "Buy Both" is *not* an option here.....

L1 Cree I could get from Batteryjunction pretty quickly, they're in Conneticut, I'm in NH, even with UPS ground, it should be here in a couple days max

Novatac may take longer to get (Lighthound is in Texas), but is more versatile can go from ultra-low (dimmer than the LuxIII TIR L1) to superbright, but is a bit more complicated than the simple, perfect L1/L2/A2 style interface

I prefer flood over throw, the L1 is throwy
I like battery-sipping low levels, the Novatac can go dimmer than the L1
I like simple 2 or 3 level lights, the L1 interface is simplicity itself...

Hmm, decisions, decisions

1; get the L1
2; get the Novatac
3; get neither, as it would be unwise with all my expenses

right now I'm leaning towards 3

somebody, talk me down here....

(yeah, right, ask a forum of enablers to help me *not* buy a light, suuure.... ;) )

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
Get neither, I would say. I think it's silly buying stuff without actually having the money. Wait for the reviews of the new HDS Twisty to se what that might be like. Might be a reasonable compromise between the two!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bah what you really want is a milky modded 4 x rebel100 U2.

The L1 is nice but doesn't get low or high enough. The Novatac has too many fancy thingies and the 85 still doesn't get bright enough; plus the extra $$$ for the 120 isn't worth it.

Save your money up and buy something even better.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I'd hold off, too many new lights coming out plus , if your luck is anything like mine there always seem to be unforeseen holiday expenses this time of the year.:whistle:

Saiga

Enlightened
i'm agreeing with the "hold off and wait" opinion. sounds like you really don't need to be wasting the bucks right now on what is in reality just another toy ( blaspemy?)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smartest thing to do is not to buy either. If you can't do that, get the Novatac.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
This time of year is always hard on the wallet I find. The lights you are looking at aren't going anywhere and technology is changing all the time. If you have a light or two that serves your purposes right now I say wait and see what's available in the new year either new or on the buy and sell. Good luck and don't scratch that itch unless you have the means to do so.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
wait and buy neither, and the reason is that you will be able to buy something much superior in 6 months time, and something even more mindbogglingly superior 12 months from now, and then something...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd still recommend the Novatac, but if you decide to get an L1, let me know. I have one that I'm thinking about selling.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
If money's tight, hold off for now. When I need (want) something that I can do without but don't have the extra cash, I just try to put $2 away each night, and don't spend coins. Instead save the coins, and you'll be surprised how quickly they can add up. In a couple month's time, you'll have some cash ready to be spent on the light(s) you want.