Need some help with a SF tailcap

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the correct subforum for this post--couldn't think of where else to post it. I could use some help:

I recently purchased a SF Z59 tailcap, and received it today. Something doesn't seem right though. First of all, the package was labelled "Z59," but the writing under the name says: "Fits C2, C3, D2, D3, G2, M2, M3, M3T & M4 Flashlights." That description, if I'm not mistaken, is of the Z58 tailcap, not the Z59 (which is supposed to be for the 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, and Z2). The tailcap does look like the Z59, and it does work on my 9P--it's just the description on the package that seems wrong. Somehow, I can't picture SF making a mistake like that.

Second, the packaging seems very un-SF-like. The printing and phraseology is odd. Third, the tailcap feels incredibly light--maybe that's the way its supposed to be, but I'm not sure. Fourth, the clickie mechanism feels a bit cheap. Fifth, it doesn't seem to seat right (it just keeps getting tighter until the spring can't compress against the batteries anymore, whereas my other SF tailcaps--which are twisty--have a definite stop point). Sixth, there is no notch for lining up the lock-out feature. Lastly, when the clickie is activated there is a clear (and annoying) plastic rattle if I move the light.

So, because of all of that, I'm wondering if this is possibly a SF rip-off, and not the real thing. Can anyone help? If you can post a picture of two of your SF Z59 (or it's packaging) that would probably be helpful? If you need more info, just post the quesiton, I'll answer. Thanks a million in advance!

-Mike

tomcat017

Enlightened
Right, but it's the error in the packaging that is one of the things that concern me. The Z59 is black, so the packaging should list the tailcap as being compatible with the lights that are black, not the olive-drab ones. Thanks for the help though--appreciate it!! Anyone else have any ideas?

tomcat017

Enlightened
no one? :candle: I don't know what to do with this thing...

edit: just to let you know, the rattling is pretty bad when the switch is in the "on" position. Anyone have this with their SFs?

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
I can't answer your questions, but I'm willing to bet that if you post some pics it will help. Also you might want to send a pm to Size15s (something like that), aka Al. He seems to be the resident Surefire expert. Good luck.

tomcat017

Enlightened
jbviau: thanks for the help! I've posted a few pictures below:

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

Thanks again everyone,

-Mike

flash_bang

Enlightened
the rattling is normal, but shouldn't be too horrible unless you shake a lot. I have a Z59 and it appears to be the same as yours. Also, for my G2 I tighten it down all the way, but if I back it out a little it'll lock out. Just make sure it actually does lock out at some point.
HAGO,
Flash

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would call Surefire and request another, I dont have any clickies that rattle even my cheap lights. The spring doesn't look right to me either.