anyone tried out elektroluments 3 seoul mag drop in?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
looks like an awesome upgrade.
i've often looked for a 3 led maglite only to find it's big bucks for the build.
this would make for one simple, awesome upgrade.
and i LOVE the beam of the seoul's over the cree anyday.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
brightness is one thing.
how is build quality.
this is a new thing for wayne, and i know one-offs/prototypes can be plagued with quality issues.
has anyone actually owned one and like it?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning to get one but don't have one yet. Several people who got it already said they were mightily pleased.

I've seen pictures also of how the thing is constructed and it looks like it should work well.

As to Wayne's past work, I believe that it is highly regarded here and has certainly included many different models with multi-LED setups.

One final note--Ersanada's measurements of the 3xSSC MT-III had some kind of problem (inconsistency with Wayne's own measurements), and Wayne supposedly was sending a replacement unit to make sure everything was OK.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
hmmm...
now terralux has one that runs off 4-6d cells

what do you guys think is better.
both are $99, have 3 high efficency leds and are drop ins for mags!

advantage elektro-throw
better led efficency-seoul p4 therefore brighter or longer runtime
made by wayne, better quality?
shipping is $7 cheaper, making it 103 out the door vs 110

advantage terralux
runs off variety of cells, most importantly more cells making for better
runtime and puts the batteries out of the high drain/inefficent draw mode, perhaps even helping combat the extra efficency of the seoul vs new k2

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, myself I'm a C Cell fan. The Terralux is for D's only. :thumbsdow So it is not for me.

Wayne's Elektrolumens MT3 has only one disadvantage, the fact that it has to run off of 3 (alkiline :sick2:, or NiMh :kiss:) cells... or a single cut down mag w/ LiIon :cool:. This isn't a pro or con, as the terralux could run off of 2 LiIons just fine.

I would like to compare the beamshots. I like optics, but I definitely have a soft spot for SSCs in reflectors. Hopefully we'll see what the spill and throw are like on the Terralux in the next week.

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, I am so new to this flashlight scene that the T1 I'm waiting for will be the only "real" light I have experienced. Perhaps with time I will be able to experience the variety.

Zenster

Enlightened
hmmm...
now terralux has one that runs off 4-6d cells

what do you guys think is better.
both are $99, have 3 high efficency leds and are drop ins for mags!

advantage elektro-throw
better led efficency-seoul p4 therefore brighter or longer runtime
made by wayne, better quality?
shipping is $7 cheaper, making it 103 out the door vs 110

advantage terralux
runs off variety of cells, most importantly more cells making for better
runtime and puts the batteries out of the high drain/inefficent draw mode, perhaps even helping combat the extra efficency of the seoul vs new k2

My comments about the MT-III can be found in the linked thread above so all I'll add here is that even though the Seoul P4's that Wayne uses run cool, I like the huge chunk of aluminum he uses as the housing for it.
I figure that a flashlight with a 5 hour runtime should have every opportunity you can give it to run cool.
I'm sure that Terralux uses some kind of heat sink material somewhere because the PCB used as the main mount for the unit can't dissipate any heat at all.
Or, maybe Terralux doesn't believe that heat dissipation isn't needed at all, even using three LED's?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Support your local starving machinist, buy Elektrolumens!

I go with the Flashaholic' s creed of: "Buy them both!"

Or if there's more than two, buy them all. Sure you'll be feeling the effects of it on your wallet for years to come, but I personally think you can't put a price tag on something you truely enjoy. :thumbsup:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i almost am going to buy them both.
i'd love to slip on in my 6d and replace the rop for a bright, high efficency light.
can't wait to see a comparision of lumens and runtime for both of these lights against each other.
anyone committing to do that?

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
With a bit of work, you could probably rig a 6d M@G so you have 2 parallel sets of 3 batteries for increased runtime with the MT-III.

I ordered a MT-III and I have both a 3d and 6d, HUM..............