What happened to the E1 (Fenix)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am preparing my next Fenix order and noticed the E1 is no longer showing on their site. I really was looking for something in between the 5mm and luxeons and the E1 fit in nicely to my needs. Does anyone know if it has been discontinued? I did not see it in their discontinued section or clearance area.

I sent an e-mail to them asking however it may be a few days before they respond. I know they are swamped with orders recently as they have some good deals going right now. I also tried to order from LightHound but it did not show as in stock there either. If not available from fenix anymore any ideas as to a good dealer who may have a few in stock?

The weird thing is that a few days past they were in stock at Fenix while I was preparing my order. I had a few saved in my cart and now they are suddenly gone....Not even a picture of the model showing where it once was.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I would hate to see it replaced and for the cost of the E1 the LOD is a huge jump up. I just finished reading several reviews and most everyone liked the light. It seemed perfect for something between the dimmer 5mm lights and the brighter luxeons.

22hornet

Enlightened
http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashlights/fenix-e1.html

The E1 has a very bright but very small hotspot. It also has a very ringy beam.
I find the wide hotspot and bright spill of the L0D CE more useful.
Ended up giving my E1s away.

Hello,
Right, but try to see it from the viewpoint of a non-flashaholic: the E1 had good regulation, even with alkalines, where the L0D is pretty useless with alkalines, making it a poor choice for a present for a non-enthusiast.
The E1 may not have a beautiful beam, but it has enough lumens for most tasks.

Kind regards,
Joris

Billman730

Newly Enlightened
You Gave your E-1's away? I have 3 and never step on a job without them. Clip 2 on my hat and I am the King of Light...

Robocop Ed has some in stock. 508-867-6388 East Brookfield Mass. A large stocking dealer of Surefire..

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened
I love them for the above stated reaasons. Good runtime and regulation on alkalines ans relatively cheap. I think I bought a couple dozen to give as gifts fri my consulting business. David also did a great job with engraving, but now I see they are indeed gone. EliteLED still shoes them in stock if I am not mistaken, as does Lighthound. Sounds like time to get 'em while they last.

Can anyone confirm the fate of this great little light?

Billman730

Newly Enlightened
Flic Hello. I just bought a few E-1's a week ago. At the Springfield Gun Show EJ was sporting a Titan and I bought one but there were E-1's in stock under the glass.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they continue with the E1. Like others have said - very good regulation. The E1 is a very efficient light using constant current regulation. It just works well at what it does and does so efficiently.

I think they should release an updtated E1 with either Rebel/Cree/Seoul. I modded mine with a SSC and the tint/output/runtime is very nice.

Another thing nice about the Fenix AAA lights is that they are easy to operate with one hand. I have had trouble with other small lights.

Flic

Enlightened
I hope they continue with the E1. Like others have said - very good regulation. The E1 is a very efficient light using constant current regulation. It just works well at what it does and does so efficiently.

I think they should release an updtated E1 with either Rebel/Cree/Seoul. I modded mine with a SSC and the tint/output/runtime is very nice.

Another thing nice about the Fenix AAA lights is that they are easy to operate with one hand. I have had trouble with other small lights.

I agree an update would be in order, if they can keep the cost dowm. I have an E1 modded by 47 with a Luxeon. Same flat regulation and much better performance. There's got to be something that can be done.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Maybe they plan to merge the E1 and E0 under a DS or GS LED. That would give the same output as the E1 with a much longer runtime.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1 has a very bright but very small hotspot. It also has a very ringy beam.
I find the wide hotspot and bright spill of the L0D CE more useful.
Ended up giving my E1s away.
Hello,
Right, but try to see it from the viewpoint of a non-flashaholic: the E1 had good regulation, even with alkalines, where the L0D is pretty useless with alkalines, making it a poor choice for a present for a non-enthusiast.
The E1 may not have a beautiful beam, but it has enough lumens for most tasks.

Kind regards,
Joris
That is why I gave them away.
Very bright hotspot. Impressed a lot of people who are used to dim 5mm LEDs.***
Simple interface. No need to teach people about all the modes of the fancier lights, how to activate them, how NOT to activate them.
I do not think the regulation matters much to a non flashaholic. I doubt many would run their light more than in 1/2 hour stretches, especially AAA torches. They buy 2D torches/6V lanterns with BIG batteries for long runtime.

***Pilot lights for industrial controls. Customers specify them because they do not have to change bulbs. Then the project managers/process engineers whine they can not see if they are on or not.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My E1 may see more use than any of my other lights. It's been my "prowl about the house light" for a long time. I just feed it a new NiMH every other day.

Geoff

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an E1 modded w Seoul by EngrPaul, great little light!

Hi Mark,

I kept one of my Fenix E1-P4-U-V0 mods, and it continues to be one of my favorite lights for nighttime around the house.

These typically came out very smooth and floody because the stock reflector was made for a surface mount LED. I could never get a nice flood from the LOD's, etc because they were focused too tightly for luxeon emitters. Going for flood would result in a dim hole in the middle.

Runtime and output is great, I can count on it lighting up the room at full dark without making me squint from instant brightness.

If anybody has an E1 laying around that they don't like, try upgrading the emitter to a Seoul. It gives it a new life.

I don't think I could possibly find an equivalent AAA light on the market, with the perfect combination of runtime, flood, and simplicity.

OceanView

Enlightened
I kept one of my Fenix E1-P4-U-V0 mods, and it continues to be one of my favorite lights for nighttime around the house.
Sorry for being off-topic, but hey! It's EngrPaul! Nice to see you posting again. I'm still loving a couple of your meticulously modded lights. :twothumbs

Back on topic...