Dorcy 45 Lumen Focusing 1xAA, 1xAAA

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw a couple of interesting looking lights at Orchard Supply. They are machined aluminum tube type lights with a high power LED emitter and a lens. Apparently no reflector or optic, other than the focussing lens. Both the 1xAA and 1xAAA were rated 1 watt 45 lumen, and apparently have the ability to focus. Under $20.

Somehow I managed not to buy one (bought too many lights just recently..), was hoping to read about them a bit. Did some searches, didn't come across any info on CPF, aside from one mention in August. (more found later, link below)

Dorcy list: http://www.dorcy.com/new_products.aspx, individual pages: 41-4252, 41-4253

older thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169808

-- Alan

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they are tail-clicky switched.

They mention an optic, it looks more like a thick lens. You can clearly see the circuit board around the emitter, so I suspect it is just a lens and the emitter is moved around the focal length to change the beam pattern. Since the Cree (assuming it is a Cree) puts out most of its light forward, the lens will get most of it. Looking into an optic (such as the Malkoff SF drop-in) I would not expect to see much besides the LED, so this is different.

Since it is focusable, perhaps it is also easy to mod - not glued...

These lights are designed to work on Alkaline cells, so they pobably have very long running times on Lithium. Wonder how well they will work on NiMH.

-- Alan

mhubble

Enlightened
I hadd these lights a few months back. Did a small review. Just look under my postings and you should find it. Good lights but I ended up getting the STREAMLIGHT STYLUS PRO. Brighter and better run times. The focusing part of the DORCY really had no appeal for me.

CrazyCarl

Newly Enlightened
Walmart has a 1-watt Dorcy with a large lens, running off of their standard 3-AAA caddy. The inside is easily visible, even in the package. It's just a standard 1-watt mounted on a PC board.

Most of the light just hits the black inside of the body. The fancy focusing lens is only working with the light that naturally goes forward out of the 180° unfocused LED. It says 45 lumens, but I can't imagine even half of that makes it out the front.

I am going to pass on the little 1-cell Dorcy. Streamlight has a 1-aaa model too, and it looks like it has a reflector.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output flux of some high output LEDs is primarily forward, so the loss without reflector may be less than expected. Still, it is loss.

-- Alan

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led is a Nichia Jupiter and I believe I've read that they have an even more narrow beam emission than a Cree, thus making them pretty useless with reflectors, but perfect for optics.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Dang it, Just when I thought I was done getting more lights.
Floyd. The headers on the individual product pages show them as being Luxeon LEDs.
These look like iteresting little lights. Imagine how cool variable power and variable focus would be if they could do it. LOL

SDouglas

Newly Enlightened
I have the Single AAA. I got it from Brightguy and I am very pleased with it. In fact we are giving 3 of them as Christmas Gifts.

It has a click switch in the tailcap the head twists for focussing. When it is focussed to a spot I can easily see my dogs in the backyard at up to 80 feet away.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the 1AAA, 2AAA, or 1AA Dorcy Focusing lights have a lanyard hole in the tailcap?

Is the 2AAA the only one of the three with a forward clicky? Does the tailcap switch have a momentary feature, too (i.e., depress part way to activate the light temporarily)?

With the limited time 20% discount and free shipping, I am considering a purchase.

Thanks.

juplin

Enlightened
Do the 1AAA, 2AAA, or 1AA Dorcy Focusing lights have a lanyard hole in the tailcap?

Is the 2AAA the only one of the three with a forward clicky? Does the tailcap switch have a momentary feature, too (i.e., depress part way to activate the light temporarily)?

With the limited time 20% discount and free shipping, I am considering a purchase.

Thanks.
I have 1AAA and 2AAA version, both of which have lanyard hole in the tailcap, and both of which are provided with forward clicky (i.e. depress part way to activate the light temporarily).