It's a new year almost, anyone got news on SF L5? I'm dying here...

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure Surefire opted not to make an L5 replacement this year, they went with the LED drop-in for C-cell lights instead. You'll have to wait a month or two more for the next Shot Show to see what they might offer for 2008. Would love a 200+ lumen thrower.

Spence

Enlightened
My contact at SF said the L5 may hit the market in March, but don't hold your breath until you see one on the shelf. I really want the new L5 too.
:shrug::mecry::sick2:

DaveYoungman

Newly Enlightened
STREAMLITE / SUREFIRE

I ain't dissin them. They make a bunch of fine products but they are huge, have a ton of models and when you're ordering for that number of products it has to be waaay in advance of production. That means your inventory is enormous. Unfortunately for them and due solely to the everyday advances in LED technologies it also means by the time you go to market with a "top of the line" flashlight it is OBSOLETE 5 weeks ago. Then they have to sell all their inventory because they've got all this $$ tied up in production and they have to get a certain amount for them even when a much smaller company has blown them out of the water in models and lumens etc.

Kinda sad that the guys running it can't see that. Being too big based on your rep is a good thing. When all it does it make you a dinosaur eventually you're toast. Everybody wants to get huge but when technology is changing SO fast it doesn't make sense and ultimately sinks you when the production order/inventory and turn around times to get stuff out to the consumer guarantees by the time it's in OUR hands we're going "WTF? My model (fill in the blank) that I JUST got at HALF the price blows this outta the water.

Last week I hooked up with an old Sgt I used to work with. He'd just been issued the latest Surefire (I'm pretty sure it was the U2) . I think the Dept paid in the $180 range. Streamlite has it listed at 105 lumens and $279. My Fenix T1 made it look like a BIC lighter flickering in the night. $$279 /105L. Then I pulled out my $66 P3D-Q5 (I now carry that ALL the time in my back pocket beside my wallet - it's THAT versatile) and there wasn't much difference. Surefire was a pale yellow glow beside the glaring, white P3 beam. $66 vs $279. More than TWICE the lumens for less than ONE QUARTER the price. OK, Lemmie think about this for awhile ....

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24187/sesent/00

VS

http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-t1.html

Buy FOUR T1's for the same $$.

You don't need a terribly high IQ to figure there's something seriously amiss over in the Surefire garage !!! In the meantime or until SureFire gets with the program grab a T1. It'll blow you away. At night, in the woods it's like having a Qbeam.

Last edited:

quokked

Enlightened
I think he means the P60L which is the new drop in for the C Series lights, not to mention the G2L and 6PL which has LED's in it instead...
(Opps Al beat me to it)
Please guys no more SF VS Fenix Threads!

SF -> Premium Price, Service, Reliabilty, Reputation, Simple UI

Fenix -> Latest LED Tech, Good Prices, Flexible UI

Happy are people who can appreciate the benefits of both! :party:

I still love my little SF L5, having a look at it compared to my Cree Light (Jetbeam MkII-x) it still holds it own. :D

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a huge T1 fan. That being said, the U2 is still one of the neatest lights ever made. You can't just compare them on brightness. I have tried to buy one twice, but both times, my local Sportsman's Warehouse was out of them. (I wanted to see tint and donut hole before buying)

I hope SF gets into high output leds soon. Because now, as cool as I think the U2 is (and I really do) I just can't justify spending the money for it. A $189 L5 with a very hot- white tinted led driven at 1A....very tempting. A 6pl for $89 that puts out 85 lumens and (at least in the photos I have seen) has very off white (purple etc) tints.... I do not think so.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is wrong with the OLD L5?
I love my LUX V based L5 It rocks.
Yaesumofo

There is nothing wrong with the old L5. It is still a great light. I was very impressed with the one I was able to play with. That being said, it still eats 123a's and is not as bright as the Q5 lights. (at least to my eyes as I shined them side by side)

The current L5 is great.... but it deserves a upgrade in output and effeciency.

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
Well said woodrow, also the lux V only have 500hr to 50% lifespan (Cree is 20,000hr to 70%) .. that really sucks. I had my L4 for almost 2 years now and its output is starting to fade, the L4's led is also starting to turn really green:green:. I really hate to see my perfect white L5 going bad, so I'm reluctant to use it sometimes.

Also, in the efficency department, lux V really is in the caveman ages compared to Cree. I always have to carry my E2L-cree as backup when the L4 shuts off (I use tenergy 900mA, which gives 25 min of service when fully charged), and most of that energy is wasted in heat. My L4 gets over 130F when I run it for 15min, after 15min I have to set it down somewhere because I can't hold it anymore.

I think I'm gonna give Fenix T1 a try, the "advertised" new L5 is nowhere close to 225 lumens.

AaronM

Enlightened
If you already have a Surefire with a Lux V and it's bad or you just can't stand the lumens/runtime ratio, maybe Milkyspit could help you out.

I THINK he can even do something with the U2....I'll ask him about that soon I think. I'd love to jam the latest version of the K2 in that light.:candle:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well said woodrow, also the lux V only have 500hr to 50% lifespan (Cree is 20,000hr to 70%) .. that really sucks. I had my L4 for almost 2 years now and its output is starting to fade, the L4's led is also starting to turn really green:green:. I really hate to see my perfect white L5 going bad, so I'm reluctant to use it sometimes.
SureFire have said (and done) that they will replace LEDs so I'm not at all reluctant to use 'em.

Rzr800

Enlightened
This is out of the blue and something I heard mentioned somewhere (probably up here)...yet what kind of money was recently infused into SF; where did it come from and was it even significant enough to affect whether updated models like the L5 are built or not?

Again, I don't know where I heard this or even if it was true; yet a change in funding often spurs a change in focus and it's pretty hard to argue that some darn good lights are being produced right now at a relatively much less expensive price point (not to argue the whole price vs quality thing again; yet one wonders how many SF models would fall victim to any kind of market driven shakeup).

As mentioned; it sounds as if this Shot Show will be an interesting one indeed.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire, LLC, the Southern California-based manufacturer of compact, high-end illumination tools and tactical equipment, announced today that it received an investment of equity capital from three institutional investors—Broadsword Partners, Brooklyn NY Holdings, and Goldman, Sachs & Co. SureFire intends to use the capital to accelerate the company's growth.
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/press_center/pdf/Institutional_Investors.pdf

From my perspective this investment has enabled SureFire to increase production capability - this has enabled them expand their Dealership to more mainstream retail chains in which they are offering the G2L and 6PL.
These are being produced and sold in significant quantities beyond the capability SureFire had previously.

Al

Rzr800

Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to link this; as I knew nothing either about the 2 models listed above that were released for the retail market.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact they are actually made and assembled here in the Good Ole USA. It ain't cheap to get and all USA product out the door. You have all types of rules, regs, increased cost for USA salaries, benefits, retirement, I mean the list goes on. If Surefire could sell a U2 for $85.00 and make the necessary profit margin to satisfy the stockholders, and pay all the bills don't you think they would.:shakehead

Years ago (7) I purchased a New Bicycle from a USA manufacture LightSpeed. Now, when I was looking at all my options I could have saved over half of what I spent for the Litespeed, for a Chinese government made equivalent(the Chinese had more modern features). I opted not to and decided I wanted my dollars to stay here in the US. Is that Stupid? No just a decision I made. Kinda like buying a flashlight.:naughty:
Technology for LED, is certainly right there with all electronics changing so fast. For the other manufactures to be able to manufacture and sell a product as fast as they do just means they don't have near the overhead or responsibility as does Surefire. And plus, Surfire's are made in Southern California they are just way too laid back anyway!:kiss:

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
they went with the LED drop-in for C-cell lights instead. /quote]

?????????:confused:

:oops: I must have had C-cell stuck on the brain after searching a bunch of the Mag options earlier that day. I meant the drop-in for the C head/tail compatible bodies from Surefire 6P/9P/C2/C3/M2/G2, etc. The new L5 was initially planned but the drop-in wasn't.

Yes, hopefully this upcoming year they will release an L5.

Last edited: