Warm LEDs: anybody use 'em?

AaronM

Enlightened
I don't know much about bins, but I get the impression that there are in fact warm, white and cool bins when it comes to "white" LEDs.
I also noticed the warmer LEDs have a little less output than cooler varieties...I guess this could scare away those who really must have the brightest light.
I want good color rendition like my SF A2 but without the horrible runtime & bulb replacement issues.

Anyway I just wanna know if there is a nice peach flavored emitter out there somewhere.:candle:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The range of "warm" LEDs is really very narrow but the ones that stand out as consistently being the warmest are the Rebel emitters. They still won't be as warmly colored as your A2 but it will be closer than other LEDs. The Fenix Store still sells two models with Rebel emitters and there are other lights that use them too.

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_76

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
AaronM, do you own any LED lights? Maybe someone here can do a comparison shot for you with Rebel LED lights. I have a Fenix L1T with Rebel 80 emitter and it's definitely my warmest LED light. Huge gap between it's tint and my previous warmest light, my Seoul MTE.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you're not planning to eat the emitters.

LEDs come in Cool and warm white bins. The warm whites are in the range of 60-80lm at 350mA and the cool whites are >100lms at 350mA.

So you really gotta pick between having the brightest or the best possible color rendition.

cal..45

Enlightened
@ aaron,

I have two fenix P2D's (both with OP reflectors), one with a rebel100 and one with a Q5. while the Q5 is 5 lumens brighter on the paper, it isn't noticable in the field. what is VERY noticeable however, is the rebel's much warmer tint. on a white wall the rebel appears indeed duller because of its yellowish tint compared to the ultra-white of the Q5, but like I said this won't make any difference in the field. actually I prefer the rebel for its much better colour rendition and its much smoother spill which shows almost no sign of artifact, something that I unfortunately can't say about the Q5.

I just hope they continue to make rebel emitters, would love to see a 250+ lumens one in my P2D one day...

regards, holger

SemiMan

Banned
You can get cool white (around 6000K), neutral white (around 4500K) and warm white (around 3000K) emitters. However, the warm whites do not necessarily have any better color rendering than the cool white ones. With LEDS, color temperature has no relationship to color rendering. What you will get is different color rendering. Some colors may appear better, some may appear worse. There are some very high color rendering warm products (the Luxeon 1 watt warm whites), but most warm white LEDs are really no better than the cool whites.

Personally for outdoors I like the neutral whites as it makes natural colors pop a bit more while still giving good efficiency and being relatively cool for good visual acuity.

Semiman

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
sorry for being a little off topic ...

anyone knows what cree tint is comparable to seoul USVOH emitters?
maybe WH ?

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
Actually, the Nichia Warm white will get you CRI of 78-82, Cree from 82-86 and SSC about 80 whereas cool whites are typically 67-75 CRI.

Warm whites do provide a significant improvement in color balance, albeit that it may not be necessary in HHL as much as conventional lighting.

You can get cool white (around 6000K), neutral white (around 4500K) and warm white (around 3000K) emitters. However, the warm whites do not necessarily have any better color rendering than the cool white ones. With LEDS, color temperature has no relationship to color rendering. What you will get is different color rendering. Some colors may appear better, some may appear worse. There are some very high color rendering warm products (the Luxeon 1 watt warm whites), but most warm white LEDs are really no better than the cool whites.

Personally for outdoors I like the neutral whites as it makes natural colors pop a bit more while still giving good efficiency and being relatively cool for good visual acuity.

Semiman

LEDite

Enlightened
I've been using a few new Warm White 2800°K XREs from Cree.
The phosphor looks Orange and under UV turns very RED.

warmcree.jpg

I wanted these to balance the 6000° XRE's for some 3-Cree MX lights.

I'm hoping one 2800° and two 6000° will give me better color rendition index in a 3-LED reflector light.

The bin was N3 which is ~60 Lumens @ 350ma, not bad for such a warm color bin.

Larry Cobb

AaronM

Enlightened
2800deg?
Now THAT'S what I'd like to see!
Honestly it sounds too warm to be used alone (what you're doing makes sense), but I'd still love to see a beamshot of a light modded with one of those and compared with something more standard.

Does somebody make a led in the 4000~4500deg range?
I suppose if that were the case, you wouldn't be mixing & matching...