Why does surefire market whole Light assembly and not just Bulbs ?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of the early 9P a while back and was wondering why not sell the spare bulbs like streamlight does, that would keep the cost down and maybe keep some inside the light just in case.

I think the light is great but for those of us who´s lives aren´t at risk like law enforcement could benefit from this or have both options

I heard because the bulb might come loose at some critical moment but haven´t experienced that in my scorpion or Maglite and boy does the maglight has taken severe abuse, like hammering nails and sort, and the bulb sure has not had a problem.

What gives ? is it just $$$$ or is there other reasons not considered ?

Thnxs
AlexGT

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I also wondered the EXACT same thing - why throw away a perfectly good reflector when only the bulb is bad.

Turns out - I called carley lamps on this to get the straight scoop - that the bulb and reflector are epoxied together with a VERY special 3M epoxy that is thermally conductive - the bulb gets EXTREMELY hot - and this epoxy allows the heat to travel into the reflector (which, you'll note is made of aluminum not plastic so it can take the heat) - and eventually into the body of the flashlight, and into your hand, where it feels warm.

Well - to change a bulb - you'd first have to drill out the old one and the epoxy (which isn't a big deal, I've done it with a hand drill because I was too lazy to walk to the shop) - but then you must have the extra special 3M epoxy that is the white stuff that surrounds the bulb to glue the new one in. Oh yes - and you need to center it to within .005" or the beam will look awful.

So that's the short of it. Best done at the factory, where they have fixtures to hold everything in tolerance while the epoxy sets, etc.

It's really that - or else settle for an inferiour looking beam from a cheap plastic flashlight.