What lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptirmal

Enlightened
I just use dielectric grease since I have it around the house and it's what I use on the contacts to keep them safe from water/moisture... a popular lubricant is Nyogel and I believe Lighthound.com sells it

Patriot

Flashaholic
There are lots of fancy tread and o-ring lubes out there, but I've found a substitute that seems to work just as well as the expensive stuff.

Picture35.jpg

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another product to search for on the forum is Nanolube. I've also seen a hypodermic needle-filled all purpose lube at Radioshack.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
K-Y Warming Liquid :thumbsup: . Else, my preference is the more viscous NyoGel 779ZC.

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
NO.
like dissolves like .
The hydrocarbon valine will cause damage to o ring .
should be uing silicon oil or grease .

littlejohnle

Newly Enlightened
Never mind. I used the search function. Now im not sure if i should because there seems to be 2 schools of though here. Some say its bad others have used it without problems.

What known product is best to use then?

cal..45

Enlightened
I also use silicone grease (mostly to lube the gaskets of my watches), but I wonder if that is the right choice? since current is running through the tube on any flashlight with a tailbutton, wouldn't it be logical to grease the threads with something that electrographics (like copper grease for instance) rather than to use dielectric stuff (like silicone grease for instance) which therefore actually degrade the conductivity..:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I might have an error in reasoning here, so I wonder what you guys (especially electricians) think about it...

regards, holger

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Good point, hadn't thought of that...... Now I have to look into it!
And ummmm: Astroglide - somebody had to mention it!

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use silicone grease (mostly to lube the gaskets of my watches), but I wonder if that is the right choice? since current is running through the tube on any flashlight with a tailbutton, wouldn't it be logical to grease the threads with something that electrographics (like copper grease for instance) rather than to use dielectric stuff (like silicone grease for instance) which therefore actually degrade the conductivity..:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I might have an error in reasoning here, so I wonder what you guys (especially electricians) think about it...

regards, holger

I would think no. Dielectrical grease keep things from getting oxidized/corroded, and where the contact are suppose to be made the pressure will squeeze out whatever dielectrical grease inbetween. And for lights with lock out tail cap the tail threads are anodized to prevent contact already.

But my limited experience are with vehicle electrical system and efficienty aren't that big of a concern there.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a useful thread. My Nitecore DI's tailcap squeaks on its threads when I undo it; hopefully some silicone grease will make it silent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.