A2 Aviator

Winter1

Newly Enlightened
I got my A2 in a few days ago. With the 3 LEDs, and high output lamp, this flashlight is awesome. At first I was a little disappointed in the light output of the LEDs, but after using outside, and inside, I find that they are adequate. What is so cool is if the 3 LEDs aren't enough, just push the button in a little further, and presto - you have all the light you need. This flashlight costs a little, but if you can have only one - this is the one to have.

Jim

Byron Walter

Enlightened
This is not what I like to hear! I'm trying to 'limit' myself to E2e's and M4's but you are seriously messing with my _weak_ will power.

Oh well....

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had two, sold em both. they're cool and all, just not for me.

didn't care for the tailcap for two reasons. it adds too much length to the light, when you're used to an E2e in your pocket it shows. the switch takes too much twisting to put it through it's paces. i could smoke one waiting on the switch to bottom out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it almost exposes the oring when you lock it out. when you screw it all the way down, then back out it binds about midway, both lights did this.

even after folks here assured me the circuitry is durable, i still do not like the fact there is something else to fail in the light from moisture or shock and adding yet more length. i never really noticed a difference in my E2e yellowing or getting dimmer. i'm sure it does, but i guess i don't notice it. however, i use my lights and don't stare at them on the wall waiting for something to appear......elvis maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ofcourse, the price. for one A2 i could get 2 E2e's or E2e + KL1 for less.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
"ofcourse, the price. for one A2 i could get 2 E2e's or E2e + KL1 for less."

How true. The E2eKL1 combo is still my fav light for EDC due quality/price/size/runtime/brightness and the ability to swap heads.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm concerned that when fully locked out, the tailcap is only one complete revolution away from falling off the light, though one of my PM6's doesn't have this problem

Brightnorm

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved an A2 with blue LEDS from Catdaddy.
Overall very nice light and i will use it as my EDC. It will replace a Kl1 equipped E1e and a Scorpion and is a backup to my Streamlight Polystinger at work.

However, do all the different color leds produce such a ringy light pattern as the blue leds?

They leds have a nice brightness but quite a few holes in the pattern. I guess I expected a smoother light pattern.

Overall I am impressed with the light fit and finish are great and the incan. beam is a real nice color and has good brightness.

I have a white led equipped A2 on order from Surefire but the lady said three months. So it will be awhile until I can compare the other led outputs myself.

Size15's

Flashaholic
wolfen,

Yes the coloured LEDs are like that from the ones I have.
I guess more effort has been taken in white LED technology to get a uniform beam...

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i'm not wrong its the phospher layer on white leds that help smooth out the beam.

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
Al, do you know if it is possible to buy the LED's from Surefire now?
I have a red A2 which is great, but it would be nice to have white leds too.

Another thing on the A2:
Have you noticed that the battery tube is narrower? (I havent measured). I have some 223 batteries that I have splitted and are taped, and they wont go in. They work fine in the E series and my M3 though.

Bjorn

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the white LED's will have a smoother pattern due to the translucent coating. The Inova X5's all have the concentric ring beam pattern with the exception of the white one for the same reason. I have a feeling they could possibly do something with a lens or something like that to smooth it out, but it could affect the output.

The LED arrays are still not available as a replacement. I am waiting for a readily available supply of replacements before purchasing an A2. I would like the option of switching between red and white LED's.

You will find that the I.D. of the L1 and A2 are ever-so-slightly smaller. I can't speculate on why this would be, other than it does keep the batteries from rattling around in the cylinder. I've had to put a post-it in my E2e, E1e, M2, and M6 as well as my Arcs to keep the battery from rattling. I didn't have to do that with the L1.

I still want to check out the A2 for myself though. I have a pretty good inclination that I will like it and want to keep it though.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I figured it was the leds themselves. I have a couple of turquise photons that have the same pattern.

I'll hold onto this light until I get the new one from Surefire then off to B/S/T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif