Dereelight R2 WH Drop-Ins: Initial Impressions

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay :twothumbs ! Took shipment of four of these puppies w/ both OP and SMO at 12:30 PM PST. Now I have more P60 style LAs than actual hosts. Three days EMS shipped to Los Angeles :thumbsup: ...

Last edited:

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dereelight R2 Lamp Assemblies Arrrived...

If you also have the Dereelight Q5 modules, please give us your feedback on how these R2's compare.

The day after I ordered my 3SD Q5 modules was when the new R2's came out. It's just my luck :sigh:

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight R2 WH Lamp Assemblies Arrrived...

But what do you think of them?
Cosmetically identical, save for the identification sticker indicating R2 versus Q5.
If you also have the Dereelight Q5 modules, please give us your feedback on how these R2's compare.
I do, both the 1S Q5 and 3SD Q5, and will post feedback upon nightfall.

Last edited:

roymail

Enlightened
Re: Dereelight R2 Lamp Assemblies Arrived...

Adam, eager to hear a "full report." We want to know everything! You know how it is. Seriously, I'm interested in the Dereelight lamps and would appreciate whatever you can tell us. Thanks! :wave:

txgp17

Enlightened

I'd love to see some detailed comparisons. Now that some R2's are sneaking out, I don't want to buy anymore Q5's.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

:popcorn:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight R2 Drop-Ins: Initial Impressions

The best way to describe the R2 WH? It is essentially the Q5 in incandescent clothing. Visual bounce tests appear to favor the 1S R2 SMO and OP over the 1S Q5, although it may be because of greater ocular sensitivity to the R2 WH tint spectrum. SMO brings out a very round, collimated beam and does both bins justice down a distance. The 1S R2 SMO appeared to throw further, if only because it rendered superior definition to a group of trees versus the gray cast of the 1S Q5. 1SM-2 R2 SMO off either 1x17500, or 2x18650 outguns the EO-9 off the same cells (all less than a month old, very little runtime, voltages at rest +/- 0.01V, AW protected) at a distance of 250 feet. I had half expected the EO-9 (MOP) to obliterate the 1SM-2 R2 SMO, and it did in terms of spill. Just not down a distance. The FM34 does an excellent job of taming the forward punch of an SMO and is a recommended accessory. All beamshots taken with the Z44 bezel w/ Pyrex lens installed unless noted otherwise. Offhand, it appears that the R2 offers at least the brightness of the Q5 in addition to more color balanced illumination at a distance. Still playing...

Direct Comparison: 1S Q5 SMO vs. 1S R2 SMO (1x17670)
q5r2.jpg

Tint Comparison @ Distance: 1SM-2 R2 OP (2x18650) vs. E0-9 (2x17500)
1sm2eo9.jpg

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight R2 Drop-Ins: Initial Impressions

From this picture, I would prefer Q5. :sssh:

What about a R2 WC? This is a comparision of not only a Q5 and a R2, but the R2 is a WH bin, which is very warm. If a Q5 WC was compared to a R2 WC they would have virtually the same tint, but the R2 should be slightly brighter.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

From this picture, I would prefer Q5. :sssh:
Me too. To my 40-ish year old eyes, tints that are more neutral to slightly yellow (incandescent) are easier on the eyes and at least in this range, color rendition is not an issue as I use lights. Thanks for the comparison!

Wilkey

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight's digital pills use a boost driver with a max input voltage of 4.2v. Two RCR123's(8.4v fully charged) would fry the driver:poof:.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Offhand, it appears that the R2 offers at least the brightness of the Q5 in addition to more color balanced illumination at a distance. Still playing...

Sounds like a Cree Rebel.