E2L - one month later...

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
As new owner of a Surefire E2L for nearly a month now, I've had time to give it a "test drive" under real life conditions. When I first received my E2L, I was somewhat disappointed by what I viewed as a greenish/yellowish tint. After giving up on "white wall hunting", I decided to put my E2L to work.
I've been camping, night fishing and doing general illumination the around the homestead and I can honestly say, I'm one happy camper. The softer tint has proven to be an asset in general use. The battery life has been remarkable and the regulation first rate. It isn't much of a thrower, but at 45 lumens, it usually fits the bill for general indoor and outdoor use within 100 feet.

How many of you like me have put their E2L's to the "real world" test and come out surprised?

planex

Newly Enlightened
I love my two E2L's as well as my E1L. They don't seem to get talked about too much probably because they don't put out 200+ lumens. But that is precisely why they are such great lights. Useful light levels combined with very long runtimes. At first, I wasn't a big fan of the optic. But I have come to respect the fact that the optic is giving these lights amazing throw for their size and output as well as providing useful spill in dark situations. If I had to, I would sell all my other lights and keep the E2L. :twothumbs

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same surprise, but it was with my Surefire L1 Cree.
I became disappointed with it´s "greenish" tint too, at first, but when I used it in real world, I got surprised by the color rendition and the throw of the little L1. It´s a superb little light!

It was my first Surefire.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same about my E2L. I bought it for the runtime and not the output, but frequent indoor and outdoor use has proved the output to be enough for most tasks.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another E2L fan here. Bright enough to punch out a ways, but still very useable close in without blinding yourself. I like the warmer tint for outdoor color rendition. The body, HA, knurling, and esp. the long and strong clip, are top-notch. The redesigned Z57 switch is a vast improvement over the problematic original one. The regulation is flat and the runtime is amazing. As a bonus, mine accepts a (blue, old style) AW 17670 and runs great on it.

A simple, strong, dependable, and useable torch, with a great look and feel. When SF fans brag on SF quality, the E2L Cree is a good example of what they're talking about. :thumbsup:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my E2L I wasn't looking for a BRIGHT light and I was impressed... I was more impressed when I saw how I covered 2 camping trips with a lot of use and also a lot playing I did for fun with the first set of batteries! I think it has just the perfect brightness for general use in complete darkness. My L1 and A2 (red LEDs) never went to a camping trip yet! I was finding my L1 greenish but after using incandescent lights a little, the L1 is no longer greenish. ;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
How many of you like me have put their E2L's to the "real world" test ...

Eight hours every day, five days a week, high up on scaffolding, down underneath machinery, in dark warehouses, etc. An impressive light for not too many dollars.

After reading about all the tint issues, it's hard for me to believe that I'm the only lottery winner ... no tint that I can see, same color temperature as the L4 and the U2 (on high setting).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp. On ... off ... 9 hours ... and a fantastic beam distribution. One of the best lights of 2007.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading about all the tint issues, it's hard for me to believe that I'm the only lottery winner ... no tint that I can see, same color temperature as the L4 and the U2 (on high setting).

Mine has a very nice tint as well. I've been very lucky with the lottery, however. My L4 is pure white.

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Like myself, it seems like run-time is what attracted many on you fellow E2L owners. What didn't impress me at first was it only put out just 45 lumens, especially after looking at the specs of other offerings from various manufacturers in 2 cell 123 lights. But in really dark situations (little or no ambient light sources), 45 lumens seem to light up the world without blinding.

John

todo

Newly Enlightened
One E2L costing more than 2 Fenix P3d Q5's and far less performance than the fenix. I don't get the fascination with these lights named surefire.

My son recently broke his e2l with a waist high drop to concrete. I'm not bashing, any light could break like that, but why their so highly regarded and highly paid for , I don't see it.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
One E2L costing more than 2 Fenix P3d Q5's and far less performance than the fenix. I don't get the fascination with these lights named surefire.

My son recently broke his e2l with a waist high drop to concrete. I'm not bashing, any light could break like that, but why their so highly regarded and highly paid for , I don't see it.

Tell him to call SF, they will probably send him a brand new E2L for free (free measn he will have to send it back the broken one but isn't it the same with any manufacturer?). Bad thing happen with any product, even if you pay the high price for it!

I like much more my SF lights than my Fenix lights and it's not because I paid more for them!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My son recently broke his e2l

Surefire is the easiest company in the world regarding warranty issues ... phone in & they often send the replacement part on nothing other than the owner's word. Your son's E2L will either be good as new, or they'll send a new light.

One E2L costing more than 2 Fenix P3d
I'm as impressed as you are that SF can offer a Made-In-USA light with lifetime warranty for as little as they do. I'm also surprised that the Made-In-China Fenix is so expensive.

Fenix makes a nice light, the L1D CE was my first 'real' light. But as you say, they just cost too much for what you get:oops:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The term performance is too subjective. Fenix does not make a light that can do what my E2L can do, just as SureFire does not make a light that can do what an L2D can do. Why? Becauase they are two different companies with two different target markets and two different design philosophies.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
had my e2l for a month so far.

i found my perfect lil flashlight.

i have mostly used it for all sorts of indoor lil jobbies i need it for from wiring stuff, building furniture on my new move-in, etc. momentary on is huge.

the amount of light is perfect, not too blinding for close quarters use, but with some power for the outdoors. used it outdoor so far mostly just walkin the dog.

when i went campin last year the streamlight 4aa propolymer luxeon was all i needed. considering this guy puts out just a tad more light with nicer spill and a bigger hotspot, the e2l will be perfect for that as well.

i havent used my Q5 aa fenix since i got this e2l for xmas.

todo

Newly Enlightened
The term performance is too subjective. Fenix does not make a light that can do what my E2L can do, just as SureFire does not make a light that can do what an L2D can do. Why? Becauase they are two different companies with two different target markets and two different design philosophies.

I can't think of one thing the E2L does better than a P3D.