Novatac 85P vs. 120P Runtimes

TJx

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting one of these and had a question of runtimes.
I've searched and can find little info.
The main question is the runtime on the 85P. The runtime on the 120P is around 30 minutes on max, is the runtime on the 85P also around 30 minutes on it's max (85 lumens) ??? Or is quite a bit longer since it's the same emitter and putting out only 85 vs. 120 lumens ?
Overall is the 120P worth $50 plus over the 85P ???
After buying and using SureFire's I'm on that side of the fence so I appreciate UI's, quality construction, reliability, etc over just having a blinding light in my pocket.
Thanks in advance!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive tried many lights,I just bought the 85P ,$99 is a real bargain.Ive never used such a flexible light,4 programmed(user defined modes) can act as momentary switch, (forward ON) really low, low and 85 or 120 lumens.You need to try one and live with it, its UI is intuitive, last used memory remembered, with momentary burst. very flexible to your needs.

Last edited:

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
I think there are rumors that the 85P is the same exact light as the 120P, except with the last level of brightness disabled so you can only go to 85P. In that cause, the 85P running at max should have the same runtime as the 120P run at 85 lumens.

That would make the 85P a real bargin at $99 over the $180 120P, considering the perceived brightness from 85 to 120 lumens isn't that much. I bought the 120P back when it was $120, so the extra 20 bucks I paid was well worth it for the extra lumens even though I've customized the max setting at 85 lumens for longer run time.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Here's what NovaTac says about the difference between the 2:

"The difference is the maximum output of the LED. The LEDs in the 85 lumen and 120 lumen versions are virtually identical but due to manufacturing variations, one has a higher maximum output."

That is why I was thinking maybe the 85P on max would have a longer runtime ???

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I just received my 120P, so others here are more expert in the technical differences. My SWAG is that the 120P uses a more efficient emitter than the 85P, hence the greater light output with same runtime.

is the 120P worth $50 plus over the 85P ?

It is to me, as you have higher max output + a below-flush tailcap, which allows the 120P to easily tailstand. If you really don't like the light, there's always a ready market on CPF or eBay (where mine was purchased).

You'll have a winner either way:D

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive not had a chance to do runtime yet,I can try tonight and get some results posted.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the Novatacs first came out last summer I remember reading that the runtime on the 85P on max was about the same as the 120P on 85 lumens. Don't know if that still applies today but as someone said the difference in price is now much greater.

DM51

Flashaholic
It is an interesting question which has come up before, but unless I have missed it, I do not think it has been properly tested.
If slvoid is right about what he says in post #3, then the 85P is indeed a bargain.

tony22r

Newly Enlightened
...It is to me, as you have higher max output + a below-flush tailcap, which allows the 120P to easily tailstand...
Are 120P's available with a choice of switches? (flush & non-flush?)
I think I would prefer the non-flush switch that sticks out.

Anybody seen 120P's for less than $170 ?
:: kicking myself for not getting one when they were <= $140 ::

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Technically it's the same ssc P4 led. So you have 2 scenarios.

More efficient led on the 120p. So 85P & 120P running at max will have same battery life. 120P running at 85 lms will have longer run time than 85P running at max.

More current to the led on the 120p, same led. Thereby longer battery life on the 85p @ 85lms vs 120p @ 120lms. Same battery life with both at 85 lms.

I have both the tailstand cap and the tactical cap and find the tactical cap is a lot easier to use with gloves on and outdoors. When I had the tactical tail cap, I put a small piece of thick adhesive 200 grit right in the middle of the button. It could still kind of tail stand but the rough protrusion made it very handy to find and click the button.

I then switched over to using a 3M adhesive asphalt (like the antislip stuff they use at the end of the staircase steps). A small 1/4" dot worked great as a semi-tactical cap while still allowing it to tail stand a bit. It was only about 1mm thick but rubbery, stiff, and rough. Finally I got a tactical tail cap though in restrospec, the flat switch with the adhesive asphalt worked 99% as well and was the best of both worlds.

digitaleos

Enlightened
I have both the 85P and the 120P, and to me the 85P is the way to go. There is very little perceptible difference between the two on max brightness, and since the 85P can be had for $100 I would not hesitate to buy the 85P over the 120P. Maybe this is the reason Novatac decided to eliminate the 85 models from its lineup.:shrug:

Chris

precisionworks

Flashaholic
120P's for less than $170 ?

According to seery, Last I checked, Evan at TAD gear had them for 150.00 with free shipping.

Mine was an eBay purchase, $159 free shipping. If you are patient, the BST section sometimes has one for $120 or so.

Are 120P's available with a choice of switches?
The switch is flush, but the switch housing is indented ... 120P on the right in the photo:

images

TJx

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a 85P from the Hound a few days ago.
Did a runtime test last night using a new SF battery.
1:35 on max (85 lumens) before it dropped out of regulation. The drop wasn't as abrupt (it seemed) as the other runtime tests I've done on a L2D and a Kroma. It put out light for about 8 hours total.
Just guessing the 120P would have about the same runtime at 85 lumens???

Other observations:
Love the flush tailcap switch, very smooth to operate for a lack of a better way to describe it. It feels like it will last a very long time.

A little flickering at the lowest levels (less than 1 lumen) sometimes, not terribly worried about it.

This light grows on me a little more each day, it already has surpassed the L1 Cree I just sold off.

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
There is very little perceptible difference between the two on max brightness, and since the 85P can be had for $100 I would not hesitate to buy the 85P over the 120P. Maybe this is the reason Novatac decided to eliminate the 85 models from its lineup.:shrug:

Oh that is so very cool, since I already have #99 (ie. 11199) 85P. Rare collectibles! There are so few 85P's in comparison. You can always get a 120P later. I noticed yesterday at the Novatac site they no longer showed the 85's! I even googled the "site" for 85P (85 site:http://www.novatac.com) and found nothing but the pdf manual. I wondered what happened.

I thought the 85 was the way to go.
21 compared to 22 steps.
Very little difference between steps.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
it already has surpassed the L1 Cree I just sold off.
That's interesting ... I also sold an L1 Cree & replaced it with the NovaTac. Liked the first one so well that I bought another. They are not the tiniest light to EDC, but it is the light that's always in my pocket.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Funny. I also sold off an L1 Cree to get a second Novatac. I liked my original SN so much that I wanted to keep it as a fanny pack unit rather than as my EDC.

I still carry a TW4 with it (well, a VG 1x123 body and a OpticsHQ E series head right now for testing purposes), but the Novatac is a permanent EDC.

-Steve

That's interesting ... I also sold an L1 Cree & replaced it with the NovaTac. Liked the first one so well that I bought another. They are not the tiniest light to EDC, but it is the light that's always in my pocket.