fenix T1 compare to surefire L2

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
First Post.Hey yall i got a L2 and was greatly disapointed. The L2 beam of light is donut shaped and spread to far apart to get any distance. Ive been looking at the T1 and so far I like it except for the 3 prongs at the end cap. Do these prong looking things get in anybodies way (uncomfortable) when pressing in the switch. How would you guys compare the L2 to the T1 and or even Surefire to Fenix. Please give all the advice you can im looking for a led light the around the same size as the l2 or t1. I will be using it around the house, camping, fishing and hiking. I would like the light to shin really far ( if possible) and some nice run times. Even better would be a two stage one like 65 lumens for general use and a really high output to see nice and far on trails. Thanks

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi hubbytuby
in reading here You will immediately notice, that such questions will IMMEDIATELY lead to hefty discussions. :(
Reasons are that the one half users can not accept that there are less expensive lights that also work good (better) and other ones that just deny that there is more in any product than the numbers on paper.

Personally, I own quite some SFs, if I would not use led lights modded by me (tha one most used is a 6P modded to Cree and a better battery), I would get either a P3D or a T1.
You will not be disappointed and it will eat (what You have remembered of) the L2 in output.

imho the package of Fenix is plain perfect.
(if they only would make the sleek, elegant light like the P3D with a lower low and for an 18650 ...) :rolleyes:

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome:

The L2 uses a LuxV emitter, which is known for its floody beam (doesn't illuminate too far). Can't comment about the L2 any more than that since I don't have one.

The T1... I hate the tail things - yes, they do get in my way of operating the switch. The emitter in there is completely different from the L2 and the bigger reflector make it "throw" a whole lot further. The 2 modes on the T1 are not really low/high, but more like "bright" and "stupid bright", so be warned.

Check the reviews section - a bunch of us have been purposefully trying to destroy the T1... with limited success I might say. Other than a less than stellar switch, the T1 is a very rugged light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF :)

The SF L2 is not the right choice for what yoou want. It is a flood light, and it produces flood. No reach. You can sell it on B/S/T here.

The Fenix T1 is more what you are looking for, if you want throw. BUT ... you won't find a 2xCR123 light that has more power AND still offers some runtime than the T1. Your requirements of 65lm general beam and higher output throw beam requires a bigger light ... maybe even a HID.

Before spending more money on lights that will not suit your needs, it might be best to look around on CPF a bit to see what is possible and what isn't.

The first step would be to exactly define your needs ... size, runtime, throw, batteries, brightness, price, build quality, etc.

bernie

meuge

Enlightened
First Post.Hey yall i got a L2 and was greatly disapointed. The L2 beam of light is donut shaped and spread to far apart to get any distance. Ive been looking at the T1 and so far I like it except for the 3 prongs at the end cap. Do these prong looking things get in anybodies way (uncomfortable) when pressing in the switch. How would you guys compare the L2 to the T1 and or even Surefire to Fenix. Please give all the advice you can im looking for a led light the around the same size as the l2 or t1. I will be using it around the house, camping, fishing and hiking. I would like the light to shin really far ( if possible) and some nice run times. Even better would be a two stage one like 65 lumens for general use and a really high output to see nice and far on trails. Thanks
There is a wealth of information about how T1 withstands heavy use on the Review board, where there are maybe 3-4 threads of T1 torture tests. If you permit me to summarize it, I would say that the T1 has proven to be extremely tough and resistant to punishment. Its weak point is its switch (as is the case for EVERY clicky switch). However, weak is a relative term here, since the switch usually failed after literally hundreds of drops onto a hard surface. The Fenix T1 hasn't been thoroughly battle-tested, like Surefire has, but I would say that for 99% of the uses, it should be just as tough. The only real gripe would be that the surface isn't as grippy as I would like... but it has sufficed for my friends' winter hiking trips (I've been busy, so I couldn't go), and they were very impressed.

The 3 prongs don't bother me too much. While they do get in the way a little bit, the switch can still be operated with ease, and the prongs are useful in that they do protect the switch from damage.

The 2 modes are VERY useful (the 12+ hour runtime at 60L is amazing), and on Max, the T1 has an amazing amount of output. The tint on time is a very pure cool white, with no hints of color, and the T1 has the smoothest beam of any Cree-based light I've seen.

The T1 is not a throw king, (an MRV or DBS would serve better for that purpose), but it does well for both close-up and distance illumination, which obviously necessitated some compromise. At night in the woods, with no outside illumination, it'll probably light up everything 200 feet out or so.

dano101

Enlightened
Ive had the opportunity to play with both (actually use both). In my humble opinion, for true light output the t1 will throw vastrly further and brighter than your surefire competitor. I dont find the pronged tailcap on the t1 horribly annoying, simply because i use/used it doing some dog walking. I imagine that in a true tactical situation that it might be an annoyance if you had to take the time to adjust for even a second the positioning of your thumb over the tailcap. if you can spare 1/2 a second to adjust its not bad.

In terms of fit and finish it is my opinion as well that the surefire is far a nd beyond a more quality item. The anodizing on the T1 is rough and if you do decide to get it, the clip is a horrible addition (order it clipless from fenix-store) and just use the holster provided. Which would i trust to work every time and for many many years?... the Surefire. If you want a comparible light you will really have to upgrade the light output for the surefire. to compare straight across size and performance, try a standard 6P with a BOG G5 drop in. I think then when your comparing apples to apples (size wise and Q5 output wise) the Surefire will come out on top for you.

I know my preference is always surefire for quality (not always for output though) Thats why some people on here prefer the surefire L1 as a perfect everyday light with great output, but also keep a fenix on hand for that barn burning output. You can probably do up a 6P with a Bog Q5 for roughly the same amount as a T1 (give or take $20). My 6P with drop ins is ther best combination ive personally come across. Especially when your thinking upgradeability. In 6 months the T1 will seem quite dim compared to newer Led's. If you own a 6P you can always just throw in another drop-in and sell the old one.

Sorry if that was long winded and non-sensical. I wrote it in 3 minute spurts between anwsering client phone calls.

Dano

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Surefire L2 and Fenix T1 are two different lights(as the others have pointed out).

Different LEDs(Luxeon V Vs. Cree XR-E Q5)
Different beam pattern(Flood Vs. more throwy)
Different ideas

Far reaching LED? The Dereelight DBS seems to be something you might be interested in(a bit bigger then you would want though). It should project 200 meters(or more) on high. It is also easy to upgrade when the newer LEDs come out. Also look at the Dereelight CL1H.

For your use, return the Surefire L2(or send it to milkyspit to be modded) and get the Fenix P3D-CE Q5 or L2D-CE Q5(8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"). The P3D/L2D won't project 200 meters(well, you won't see much if anything) but it is more of a genera use lights with the different modes.

:welcome:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Hello hubbytuby

First off, I just want to make clear that I am by no means an expert on flashlights, being a relatively new member myself, but seeing as I have the Fenix T1 and a couple of Surefires, I feel that I can offer you some ideas...

I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon with a cheap ebay Q5 cree drop in. When I put this drop in in the G2, I couldn't believe how much brighter and whiter it was than the stock G2 bulb. Excellent throw and great spill, I love it. It easily blasts a beam of light 100 feet. I use the G2 with a strike bezel for work (Corrections Officer).

Fenix came out with the T1 and I was on the wait list. I muct say, I am more than glad that I purchased the T1. The throw is phenominal, and easily 200ft +, the spill, phenominal as well. The 2 levels, 65-70 lumens on low and the 215 on high are superb. The low is great for normal tasks and the high, excellent when you want to light up something far away. The T1 is extremelly solid as has been mentioned. The torture tests more that prove that. The tail cap... I have not had issues with mine as of yet, only time will tell. Personally, I love my T1 and my G2. I likethe G2 for work because of the strike bezel. For camping, I will be using the T1.

I also have incoming are 2 Surefire 6PD's (very very solid build). I have a Malkoff bulb which I will be putting in 1 of the 6PD's and then Legoing a SF C2 head and Z48 tailcap onto it... it will be even nicer (way brighter and more spill, smoother pattern) than my G2. Not too sure how it will compare to the T1 yet.

You cannot go wrong with either a Fenix T1 or a Surefire G2/6PD. Any of them will perform wonderfully for you.

Hope this helps

Torbeam

Newly Enlightened
Put this

into a Surefire 9p (just remove the outer spring of the bulb to make it fit)
3 x rechargeables 123 (3.7v)

Brighter and better throw than the T1 and state of the art machinery :thumbsup:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tail fin is annoying or not depends on how you use it. If you use it like a tactical light yes it'll probably get annoying, but as a general use light I find it's okay, even with heavy (ski) glove I can operate it with no problem.

Put this

Honestly, that sounds too good to be true. It use exactly the same emitter as T1, but 270 lumens for only $20? It's probably overdriven to hell and won't last long.

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
Get a Malkoff dropin for a G2 or a 6P and you will like it more than your T1.

cv3po

Banned
Put this

The description lists it as a P4.............not a Q5?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Malkoff dropin for a G2 or a 6P and you will like it more than your T1.

All the Malkoff led drop ins get great reviews, so you might really want to consider one. I still prefer the T1 because I really like having a forward switch and 2 levels of output. The Malkoff will not give you that.

For $68, you really should check out the T1. It really is a great light.