New SF E2L - runtime lost worth it ???

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
As a happy E2L Cree owner, I was eager to see if Surefire would improve an already great designed light. Much to my surprise, I read the runtime had been reduced to 6 hours vs 14 hours for the previous version. I find that a hefty price to pay for having a two stage output and a incremental increase in overall maximum output (60 lumens vs 45 lumens for the previous version).

I can't help but wonder if folks will find the two stage worth the substantial lost in runtime on high setting (14 vs 6 hours). In addition, it seems like 60 lumens will be a very marginal increase in total output, maybe imperceivable. Did Surefire miss the mark on this one?

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you're talking about the E2L Cree has longer runtime than the previous Luxeon version.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
2006 (?) first gen E2L with Luxeon

2007 second gen E2L with XR-E Cree, 45 lumens + 14 hours

2008 third gen E2L with two-level output (60 or 3) and runtimes of 6 or 100 hours.

Did Surefire miss the mark on this one?
The newest model has no appeal for me. The decent light level combined with the 14 hour runtime were primary factors in selecting the 'old' E2L.

da.gee

Enlightened
I bought the 2007 E2L exactly for its incredible runtime. Something comforting about having that much light for so long on tap.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regulated runtime of the 2007 Cree E2L has been measured at 9 hours, meaning that the advertised 14 hours was an exaggeration.

Of course, we don't know if the new advertised runtime of 6 hours for the 60-lm version is also an exaggeration. Given the percentage increase in output, going from a real 9 hours to 6 hours seems reasonable.

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Of course, we don't know if the new advertised runtime of 6 hours for the 60-lm version is also an exaggeration. Given the percentage increase in output, going from a real 9 hours to 6 hours seems reasonable.

Well the L1 gets about 1.5 hours of runtime (1 cell) at an advertised 60lm. The new E2L advertised runtime of 6 hours @ 60lm is prob a bit of a stretch. I guess we won't know until testing. Though, I'd say the actual regulated output of the new version will prob be around 4 hours - which would be half of the previous single-mode E2L.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I've also seen the 9 hour figure in other reports. Whatever the number is, mine has a tiny appetite for batteries, compared to the L4. Less than half the lumens, but it puts a lot of useful light on most any target.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Surefire's run times are actually a wholistic number. The runtime is broken down like this, 9 hours on full output, 5 on decreasing/diminishing, and than maybe another 10 or 20 on dimming out/tail. The number most likely is NOT an exaggeration, it is just the "over all" useable runtime

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's worth it for me because
1. I can use two levels in an EDC light
2. I already have a KX2.0

I can deal with the lower runtime on high because I'm mostly going to be using the light on low. Either way, it's still going to be cheaper to operate than my L4, so it all works out.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO no. The KX2 should be about "burning the midnight oil."

Whats the point?

For $6 more you can get a L1. And the the L1 has a great switch. How will the the new E2L change levels? I'm not a big fan of toggling.

kelmo

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Haven't made up my mind yet. I need feedback from the field and a few runtime graphs before my money gets shipped out to SF.
Just too early to tell now.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
For $6 more you can get a L1. And the the L1 has a great switch.
It's interesting that lots of people like the L1 for the same reasons I disliked & sold mine. To me, a long, single cell light made little sense, when there are so many shorter. And the twist-switch on the L1 is nowhere nearly as convenient for me as the click-switch on the E2L (2007 model). IMO, the E2L is more useful than the L1, in a package that's not much bigger feeling in my pocket.

it's still going to be cheaper to operate than my L4
Rumor has it that Surefire started selling the batteries in 72-pack at the same time the L4/L5 was introduced:D

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Like precisionworks and others have stated, runtime and simplicity were the main features which attracted me to the E2L. The size works well for me also, not too big to carry in a side pouch and not to small to get lost in my hands. I guess time will tell if the market is as ready for the new two-stage E2L.

John

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Any one speculate that surefire has taken the step into dual output for the E1L/E2L in order to provide more convenience?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the E1L and E2L specifically for the convenience of a small size, good low power mode for reading maps, very dim room light, etc. and the extra long runtimes they offer.... in addition to having a moderately powerful full mode available in the same unit. I don't care that they aren't necessarily great long range throwers.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an E2L earlier this week. It seems like a good balance of brightness vs. runtime to me, but I don't have an older version to compare it to. The runtime on low was the deal maker for me. I think I will get plenty of use out of it. I think I will use it to back up my E2DL. The only thing I don't like about it is the really long clip. I wish it had the shorter clip like the E2DL and the L4. It looks like it might get bent to easily, and I don't see any benefit to it being that long.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
i just picked up the e2l dual stage light from b&h.

i had the single stage e2l. i was very hesitant on getting a two output light that needed two presses to get to high - rather preferring twisting the head to select low and high.

just from seeing what the low setting si though has made me start thinking that i really appreciate it being there. i mean it is enough light to do things around teh tent and walk through a campground.

while i sacrificed some run-time on high, i now have the reassurance of a 100 hour runtime on low.

something pretty reassuring about that too.

what i really want though is a light just like this but with a third high setting. like the 120 of the e2d.

now that would be an ideal light. single press for low, then press again for the 60 lumen medium. twist bezel for high.

oh man. im drooling thinking about it.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
idio.. the E2L is a great light. I just got one myself.

As an adjunct, you should consider adding the Jet III-Military as a complimentary light to your E2L. Blistering 225 lumens on high, about 2 lumens and 200 hour!!! run time on low... programmable alternative stage if you want the light to start on something other than full, otherwise, you can count on full at first press... awesome simple, programmable user-interface and while you can find some similar models with a slightly higher full output, the features this light offers give it the nod. Burns on 2 primaries, two rechargeables, or an 18650! It will tailstand for candle mode with that 200 hour run time if desired... and the clip is bi-directional. Choice of cool or warm LED, choice of SM, OP, or Hybrid reflector. Feel in the hand is pure quality. About 80 bucks! I have both the E2L and the Jet III -M and I'm keeping the Jet III-M for sure.

Last edited:

Nathan

Enlightened
IMO, the single mode Cree E2L (with what some call the "KX2a" head) is a great general purpose single mode light. The balance between runtime and brightness is just right. It's my designated "emergency light" that I can hand to the wife or kids and not have to explain how it works.