• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Low cost, High current 6AA>2D, 9AA>3D, 12AA>4D 15AA>5D, 18AA>6D adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdocod

Flashaholic
6AA>2D, 9AA>3D, 12AA>4D 15AA>5D, 18AA>6D adapters.

CLOSED

Starting a new fresh sales thread, this one has become long enough, need a fresh slate.

Please follow this link to the fresh new sales thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2450182#post2450182

100_2697.jpg

Welcome to the Odd Mods sales thread.

These will be "garage crafted" carriers. All the cutting, drilling, tapping, and screwing done by myself with common tools. Production isn't "laser guided" or "CNC machined" or anything fancy, in all honesty they are semi-crude looking. These are definitely function over form, but they do the job very well and are pretty durable. And since they are assembled with common tools from commonly available fasteners and plastic stocks, they can be considered user serviceable. These adapters use no custom fabricated fasteners so they are relatively cheap to produce. Which means they will be relatively cheap to buy as well :) I'm trying to keep my eyes out for cheaper mag-mod solutions to go along with these adapters to reduce the minimum price requirement that "shocks" so many new-comers. Even relatively simple mag mods like the ROP can go way over $100. And the "budget" battery adapter options out there can't handle the current and result in poor performing hotwires. I'm hoping these adapters are a step in the right direction.

If you want to build your own:
Here's a link to instructions. I give this information free for those who want to try to build their own.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2383339#post2383339

I can't foresee any amount of current in a mag mod that these could not handle perfectly well. The electrical path is via copper sheet and #6-32 steel screws. The heads of the flat top screws serve as large contact points for the cells. 10 amps should be a breeze, I've personally charged and discharged at 6.5A rates on these packs.

These packs can sustain repeated disassembly without malfunction. If you wish to remove cells after each use for independent cell charging this pack is up to the challenge. Weakest link is the #10-32 threaded nylon rod thought the center that holds it together, I have not been able to break one in my personal experimenting (it will crush cells before breaking in my experience, so be careful tightening that down!).... But if it were to wear out there, 4 feet of replacement rod can be bought online for ~$5. (or just contact me, I stand behind these adapters, If you have problems or something breaks, I'll do whatever is within reason to make it right)

-------------------------------------------------------
Availability and Pricing

100_2764.jpg

Serial Adapters:
PLEASE USE NEW SALES THREAD FROM LINK ABOVE

Parallel Adapters:
Sorry, no stock (low demand), by special order only. PM if you need one :)

-

Domestic orders of 3 or more adapters, ship free. For international, add $2 for each adapter, If you are ordering 5 or more adapters, please contact me by PM to verify availability and to receive a reduced pricing for the large order.

-

Shipping/packaging/handling for 6AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $2.00 for first adapter, $1.00 for second adapter.
International: $5.00 for first adapter, $2.50 for second adapter.

-

Shipping/packaging/handling for 9AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $3.00 for first adapter, $1.50 for second adapter.
International: $6.00 for first adapter, $3.00 for second adapter.

-

Shipping/packaging/handling for 12AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $3.00 for first adapter, $1.50 for second adapter.
International: $6.00 for first adapter, $3.00 for second adapter.

-

Shipping/packaging/handling for 15AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $4.00 for first adapter, $2.00 for second adapter.
International: $7.00 for first adapter, $3.50 for second adapter.

-

Shipping/packaging/handling for 18AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $4.00 for first adapter, $2.00 for second adapter.
International: $8.00 for first adapter, $4.00 for second adapter.

-

If you are ordering 2 different sizes, pay the "for first adapter" price on the largest size adapter you are ordering, and add the "for second adapter" price for the other adapter being ordered.

Send Paypal to [email protected]
Please only send payment for adapters listed as being available above. (with enough quantity remaining)

Please make note that you have sent payment and what for in this thread, I'll follow up here and make note of whose items have been shipped as frequently as possible.

Please include CPF username and order details in paypal notes.

Colorado sales tax applies for Colorado residents, Please include 2.9% if you are living in Colorado, I'll cover the occasional in-county/RTA sales tax out of pocket if you live in my county (to keep things simple.) Thank You!

Adapters come with charging leads (red/black) (~1 foot length) with alligator jacks to clamp over the nuts on both ends for easy pack charging. I am including the charging leads at no additional cost for now, subject to change...

IMPORTANT: The 6AA>2D adapter is slightly longer than 2D cells, it's closer to ~126-128mm from the tip of the acorn nut to the face of the washer on the tail end. It fits fine in maglights and results in higher spring tension, which should = lower resistance. If you intend to use this adapter in some other flashlight this might be important to know as I'm not sure if it will fit all 2D size applications. Other adapter sizes may also vary +/- a few mm from the standard cell length, it's simply a matter of tolerances, which aren't very tight when dealing with typical garage tools. The functionality should not be effected. I pre-build and test all adapters before shipping. Then dissemble for shipping (to reduce shipping/packing costs)

"Fine Print:"
*Adapters are NOT stackable, they will not make electrical contact when stacked, sets of 2D size adapters will not fit in 4 and 6D mags, they are too long. Pricing subject to minor changes, batteries not included. Please do not try to hold me responsible if you blow yourself up with one of these packs. Please follow instructions below carefully to keep things safe. Not responsible for damaged cells or burnt out bulbs :)

----------------------------------------------------------
100_2753.jpg

Assembly and loading instructions:

If you have ANY questions, and the instructions don't cover it, PLEASE contact me, I want your use of these adapters to be rewarding and safe. PM or email me, I'll try to answer any questions I can.

You will recieve 2 end caps, 3 solid plastic rods, and 1 threaded rod with nuts on both ends.
what-you-will-recieve-1.jpg

1. Install the 3 solid rods into 1 of the end caps.
insert-rods-1.jpg

2. Carefully line up the other end cap and slide it onto the rods. Observe proper orientation of the nuts on the inside of the caps, for series adapters, they MUST NOT line up. For parallel adapters the position does not matter.
*Notice the nuts are in different channels, this is very important:
alignment.jpg

3. Remove the hex nut from the end of the threaded rod, slide the threaded rod into the top of the carrier. The top can be identified as having the flat top screw "sticking up" out of the washer. The bottom of the carrier has this screw countersunk.
insert-threaded-rod.jpg

4. Finish inserting the rod, and thread the hex nut you previously removed back onto the end of the rod (I put it there so it doesn't get lost easily). Be careful not to cross-thread as it will be very difficult to thread if you mangle the plastic threads. Once it is together this far, the nut should never need to be removed again.
install-nut.jpg

5. You are now ready to install the cells.
Series adapters:
Pull the end caps away from each-other until they are flush with the nuts on both ends of the threaded rods, this should leave plenty of room to slip the cells in place. Start by loading the 2 slots with nuts on the ends. Point all cells positive towards the top of the carrier in these 2 slots. now thread the nut down by hand slightly, just enough to "touch" the end caps onto the cells to help hold them in place while you install the final row of cells. Now turn the carrier over in your hand while cradling the cells to keep them in place, install the final row of cells in the opposite direction in the carrier.
*I have found that it can sometimes be easier to start by installing cells in the channel with the screw heads on both ends (cells point "down" in this channel). Installing the cells for the first time does require a bit of patience, but once you have done it a few times you'll quickly develop the technique, it's just a matter of having the right amount of tension on the adapter as you "slip" cells into position. If you are having trouble installing the cells, just slap some rubber bands around the adapter while you install the cells, this will be like giving you some "helping hands" to hold cells in place while loading other cells, by using the "rubber band" method, you don't need to "snug up" the end cap until after all the cells are installed, after tightening it up, and making sure all the cells are seated inward as far as possible, remove the rubber bands and you are ready to rock.
Parallel adapters:
Same as above but all cells in the adapter should face the same direction instead. Positive towards the acorn nut on the top of the adapter.
insert-cell-1.jpg

cell-loading-2.jpg

cradling.jpg

cradle-carrier-1.jpg

6. To complete the installation of the cells. Use a pair of pliers, or socket, or wrench, to tighten the hex nut on the bottom of the carrier a turn or 3. (Until the cells are snug and held firm, but not smashed)

Over-tightening the adapter will crush cells! just snug it up a bit, test for tightness by trying to "shift" a cells around a little in the adapter. Tighten in small increments, I find that once the cells are "in place" and the end caps are touching the cells, it only take about 1 turn of the nut to apply sufficient pressure. Once you have done it a couple times you will get the feel for it.

tighten-nut-1.jpg

completed.jpg

***All adapters are now shipping with an appropiot number of thin plastic wafers, install them on the rods as pictured below.
wafers.jpg

After snugging down the cells with the nut on the end-cap, inspect the adapter and insure that all of the cells are flush against the wafers, if they aren't lined up quite right, just try shimmying the cells into position, it should "pop" into place.

These wafers help hold the cells in place. The positive button on the cell goes through the holes on the wafer, the result is everything holding together nice and snug without trying to "pop" out. 6AA adapters do not *need* these wafers.

I Am going to start shipping 6AA adapters with the wafer shown above, if you have received a 6AA adapter without a wafer, and would like to be "upgraded" to a "wafered" adapter just send me an email or PM and I'll send one at no charge, it's not necessary but does make loading cells easier and prevents them form "popping out" when the adapter is jostled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for looking,
Eric @ Odd Mods

Last edited:

bxstylez

Enlightened
Re: Coming Soon, low cost, high current 6AA>2D and 9AA>3D adapters.

i'll take one! :naughty:

kevinm

Enlightened

Let me know when these are available; there are caving cannons to be built! Good to see another CO person on here. I thought I was alone.:candle:

Kevin

ambientmind

Enlightened

perfect! i was just about to post a question asking for one of these! i'm in for a 9aa in parallel configuration! yesss! thanks! i'll send paypal now if you want! :thumbsup:

bimemrboy318

Enlightened

I'll take a 2D version!

Shreknow91

Enlightened

i'd be interested in a 3D model

Thanks

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

will consider 3D and 2D adapter if the price is good...cant wait...:crackup:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great products, fab price.
Do you plan to ship/post in the US only or worldwide??
Many thanks

mdocod

Flashaholic

I haven't looked into the cost of shipping world wide... I'll try to remember to check into it when I go and check final shipping prices... any suggestions on the best carrier to use for worldwide shipments? I've never done it before... well, that's an understatement, the entire process of starting up a garage based business is new to me, so this is all new to me, lol....

LiteFan

Enlightened

I'm in for a 2D for sure and possibly a 3D if availability holds up

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested in 2D version.

Is it straightforward for a user to convert from serial to parallel? That is, 6 in series or three in parallel in series with another three in parallel for 2.4V?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Schweet dude! Put me down for around 5 of them in various configurations. :twothumbs

katsyonak

Enlightened

I'd be interested in a 2D and maybe also a 3D.

Sw3d3

Newly Enlightened

I'd be interested in a 6AA:2D serial, i could also do with the 6d size when that finally rolls out :D, definately look into the worldwide shipping, i live in the UK.

slagell

Newly Enlightened

I would like a 2D serial.

fixzit

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for 2 2D's and a 3D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.