AA headlamp for work???

Ace12

Enlightened
I need a new headlamp. I currently have a Streamlight Argo HP, but batteries are expensive and hard to find when I really need them. I need a good AA headlamp with plenty of output and flood, and it needs good battery life too. It will mainly be used for crawling around in attics and under houses. Mostly up close work, but I would like to be able to see fairly good 10-15 feet in front of me too. From what I can tell the Zebralight H50 seems to meet most of my needs. I dont have as much time to research this site like I use too, so I am relying on you guys to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.....

cy

Flashaholic
argo HP is very easily modded with brighter LED. 17670 li-ion fits right in argp HP for extended free runtimes.

Zebralight Q5 is the first new design in headlamps in quite awhile. cree emitter has no reflector and radiates in a very defused manner. this makes for an excellent close up use, but not too good when you need to see out further.

Zebralight makes the best reading lamp I've ever used. drawback is short runtime on high. 1.5 hours vs 12+ hrs argo, both light on high beam. on low beam, both light run next to forever.

Argo HP's battery cap is fragile vs zebralight has much better construction.

Ace12

Enlightened
argo HP is very easily modded with brighter LED. 17670 li-ion fits right in argp HP for extended free runtimes.

Zebralight Q5 is the first new design in headlamps in quite awhile. cree emitter has no reflector and radiates in a very defused manner. this makes for an excellent close up use, but not too good when you need to see out further.

Zebralight makes the best reading lamp I've ever used. drawback is short runtime on high. 1.5 hours vs 12+ hrs argo, both light on high beam. on low beam, both light run next to forever.

Argo HP's battery cap is fragile vs zebralight has much better construction.

you can get 12+ hours from the Argo HP on High? What led are you using?

cy

Flashaholic
I use zebra light on high. it's suppose to be a Q5, but not according to output.

zebra light is one excellent light! most using on high for wrenching duties. last used on power steering pump duties for my cummins diesel truck. runtime on high quite frankly stinks with NMH.

changed out zebra light NMH batteries several times vs argo hp with 17670 would run on high for 12+ hours.

can't get solder to stick to zebra light board without taking apart. so 14500 will not make contact until I put a blob of solder on board. sure hope runtime on high improves...

Hi Cy
When you're using your Zebra Light for reading, do you need to have it on high or is low good enough?

Regards,
Pat

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like both Zebralight H50 models are now out of stock.

If you need a quick alternative, there's the $20 Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme headlamp sold at Walmart. It's 1xAA form factor, and has an older Luxeon emitter with a slide-on diffuser that turns it into a floody light for close range work. Not as bright as a Zebra on high, but it isn't too bad. Runtime isn't that long though. Have plenty of AA spares.

I think there's a thread or two about it in this headlamp forum.

emitter

Newly Enlightened
The princeton tech apex is a bit dated but takes 4 AA's so runs forever and you can recharge the set of 4 easily in common chargers. it is built very tough but heavy. otherwise i second the ray-o-vac sportsman, simple, cheap, good enough output and pretty well built.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I like the Ray-O-Vac, too. But, beware that the main beam will shut down suddenly when the voltage drops below some point. You won't get a long tail of runtime. At least at that point you can use the red or blue LEDs to go find another battery.

Geoff

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Ace12
for crawlspace use I use the 1AA Rayovac headlamp -Sportsman Extreme.
Its small but very bright. A NimH AA will run for 3hrs. If you drag tools
in with you you can always take a few more Nimh AA batts tucked away and a backup keychain led light - but you probably already do that.
It sure has saved alot of $

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using it for work you probably need it today, and runtime of over 10 hours for reliablity. I think the 6 led energizer with magnifier lens, 3 AAA, nichia based, and 2008 bin, is a must have, at $14 at Walmart or lowes. Respectable throw & flood, over 20 hour run time, probably using a Nichia at 60 to 70 lumens per watt, plus better optics than the zebra which should have a 100 lumen per watt led. It is so light, it can be combined with a little hotglue, velcro, elastic, imagination, with any other light--especially the zebra. I combine it with the big heavy throwers with 3 AA format--making the 1 watts have bigger hotspot.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I got my Princeton Tec Apex today. It was modded by Brlux with a SCC P4. This is the brightest headlamp I own. It is pretty floody and got good throw. Run on 4AA. You can set it for close up work or throw for long distance. It is very versatile.