Got my Fenix L1D!

Tabro

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all! I ordered a Fenix L1D CE Premium Q5 from fenix-store.com awhile back and am just now getting around to posting about it. I actually received it just a day after I ordered it! It helps that I was in Atlanta though. ; )

This little light is impressive! I can't believe how much light it throws out for an AA battery! I have a Streamlight Scorpion and I'm pretty sure my L1D is brighter! I love it!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
did yours come with the "premium Q5 L1d" on the bezel ...just wondering cuz i like it all black no labeling

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy all! I ordered a Fenix L1D CE Premium Q5 from fenix-store.com awhile back and am just now getting around to posting about it. I actually received it just a day after I ordered it! It helps that I was in Atlanta though. ; )

This little light is impressive! I can't believe how much light it throws out for an AA battery! I have a Streamlight Scorpion and I'm pretty sure my L1D is brighter! I love it!

You should see it on a 14500 3.6V battery.:naughty:
The head on the L1D can be used on the L2D and P2D bodies as well.:cool:

Tabro

Newly Enlightened
Can I use a 14500 in it? It won't burn it up or anything?

And yep, it has the white lettering on the head. I kinda like the lettering. :D

TwoWheelNomad

Newly Enlightened

Yeah from what I understand we can use a 14500 in it but we lose our modes until the battery level drops down and it goes back into regulation. With the 14500 its running direct drive. Check out Selfbuilt's review here to get the full scoop on this light. :grin2: Im looking for an L2D body to go with mine and one of those cool little fenix body caps that let me use the extra body as a battery storage tube to give me more flexibility.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have read about a lot of people running 14500 in their L1D's and have done it myself and have not read about any failures.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Tabro!

I got this light some month ago. It's really impressive. I purchased this model because I was looking for a portable and bright flashlight which can be used with the AA, a battery model which is available in almost every little store in the world.

However; I discovered that using Alkaline you will gain the Turbomode only a short time (not many minutes) until the brightness will decrease to be the same or lower then the highest general mode. I therefore tried with rechargeable NiMh instead. These will provide a longer runtime than the Alkaline and a longer use of the brighter modes. It's obvious that the stated runtime of 1,5 hours with the Turbomode isn't measured with Alkalines... But it's good they are available everywhere.

The L1D will make everyone impressed when they see what just a single "freestyle-battery" flashlight can do! I bring it with me everywhere I go.

Regards, Patric

cal..45

Enlightened
@ tabro,

congrats from me too. great little flashlight you got there, I think you will enjoy it pretty much for a long time to come ( at least until the next generation of even better/brighter led's is coming out)....:twothumbs

Congrats Tabro!

I got this light some month ago. It's really impressive. I purchased this model because I was looking for a portable and bright flashlight which can be used with the AA, a battery model which is available in almost every little store in the world.

a wise choice indeed. under the same aspect I bought mine L1D ( I have the R100 version)

However; I discovered that using Alkaline you will gain the Turbomode only a short time (not many minutes) until the brightness will decrease to be the same or lower then the highest general mode. I therefore tried with rechargeable NiMh instead. These will provide a longer runtime than the Alkaline and a longer use of the brighter modes. It's obvious that the stated runtime of 1,5 hours with the Turbomode isn't measured with Alkalines... But it's good they are available everywhere.
right, but you know what: i actually prefer primaries (alkalines) over rechargeables (nimh) for exactly that reason. when the L1D is not in my hand, its mounted to my bike as my primary light. a primary cell won't hold the high current not as long as a rechargebale, absolutely right, but at least it will only slowly fade to a point where it is hardly noticeable anymore and finally die. with a rechargeable you will have longer acces to "turbo" but if voltage drops under a certain level all of a sudden the light will shut off.

both ways can be considered as a advantage or disadvantage depending on the point of view, but on my bike I clearly consider the rechargeable way the disadvatage. btw: a primary alkaline runtime is good for about 90 minutes when set to turbo from start, and much longer when used with one of the first two low modes (high is about the same as turbo) - fair enough for me.

The L1D will make everyone impressed when they see what just a single "freestyle-battery" flashlight can do! I bring it with me everywhere I go.

Regards, Patric
same here, but then you should see drop jars when I put out my P2D Q5 (always set to turbo)...:grin2::grin2::grin2:

regards, holger

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the light.

The 2AA version has almost double the output on turbo(won't seem like that much to out eyes though).

ykb

Newly Enlightened
To folks who have a L1D Q5 - what tint does your beam have, and does it change when in different modes?
Thanks
:)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my L1D a year ago, so the Q5 version is tempting. I really like the Q5 in my P2D. Will I see a noticable difference with the Q5 L1D and my L1D?
What about the Q5L1D on 14500s???

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my L1D a year ago, so the Q5 version is tempting. I really like the Q5 in my P2D. Will I see a noticable difference with the Q5 L1D and my L1D?
What about the Q5L1D on 14500s???

you can swap heads to see yourself :sssh::thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
right, but you know what: i actually prefer primaries (alkalines) over rechargeables (nimh) for exactly that reason. when the L1D is not in my hand, its mounted to my bike as my primary light. a primary cell won't hold the high current not as long as a rechargebale, absolutely right, but at least it will only slowly fade to a point where it is hardly noticeable anymore and finally die. with a rechargeable you will have longer acces to "turbo" but if voltage drops under a certain level all of a sudden the light will shut off.

Holger,

You have a point here!
I have earlier been bored of (krypton) flashlights who from the start with fresh batteries are impressing but already after an hour have a boring yellow beam. This has resulted that I have thrown away the batteries several hours before their total runtime has been used.

Therefore I really like batteries who can provide a very flat output and then a sudden shut off.
If I am walking around and use the flashlight "just for fun" I can bring with me an extra battery or two in my pocket if I want maximum performance all the time.

But if we are talking about practical use as a bicycle light i don't care so much if the brightness decreases a bit. The most important in the most cases is to have a decent light which makes one visible in the traffic. When I notice a worsening of the brightness it's not very hurry to change the batteries. Using recheargables the brightness can change from maybe visibly top to shut off during the time I cycle to the job. This will normally not happen with alkalines. Especially not with LED-lights.

Regards, Patric

Last edited: