Fenix LOD-CE Q4 or Q5?

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
First off, thanks to all that provided me with some very helpful advice on a keychain carry light. After much research I opted for the P1D Premium Q5. Received it yesterday from Fenix-Store...it is unbelievably powerful! Seems almost unreal. Although incredibly small, I found it to be still just a bit too bulky for carry with dress pants once coupled with some keys. So the P1D goes in my backpack for hikes and I'm now considering the LOD-CE Q4 or Q5 for my keys...what is the difference between the two?
  • Is there a brightness or runtime advantage? Do both use lithium AAA or some other safe-to-use battery?
  • Anyone know where I can purchase one from a reputable dealer for an excellent price or coupon?
Much thanks once again.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
-www.fenix-store.com (discount coupon: CPF8)
- LOD doesnt have a widely available Q5 version
- the difference in Q4- Q5 will be un-noticable...

:thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
I think the L0D-CE only comes in Q4 since the Q5 bin CREEs require significantly higher input voltage and will not function well with a single AAA

I don't own a P1D so I can't tell you the difference, but this thread may be of some use : Fenix L0D CE or P1D CE
runtime chart here:

IMAGE SOURCE: CHEVROFREAK

the L0D-CE: can use L92 [lithium AAA], alkaline, and even 10440
best place to buy one would be from fenix-store, or post a "WTB" in the marketplace under lights and hope someone has a new one they're willing to sale.

best of luck on that, cheers :whistle:

Last edited:

russwm

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully you will get a better answer from the more knowledgeable posters, but I do not believe there is an L0D with the Q5. I think they are all Q4. It was also my understanding that in the L0D, for technical reasons beyond my understanding, the difference between a Q4 and Q5 would be so negligible that it would not be worth it.

I say go for it. I have one on my keychain and love it. Fantastic little light.

evanlocc

Enlightened
- the difference in Q4- Q5 will be un-noticable...

:thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Absolutely ! I once really thought it was Q5 on the L0D-CE when i light it indoor with no other light source.

Just point to ceiling. It wasnt just light but actually bright enough to luminate the whole room, and it was just an AAA light.

...and a few light mode to play with
buttrock.gif

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. What is the best battery to run in this flashlight? I want to gain the optimal brightness and/or runtimes so battery choice will be helpful. Since it won't be used a lot hanging on my keys, I want a reliable and handy "pal" that I can call upon in an emergency.

clg0159

Enlightened
For reliability and runtime without the worry of self discharge go with an energizer lithium AAA:thumbsup:

jbviau

Enlightened
Seanflash, lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables are the way to go with this light. If you're concerned about reliability but still prefer rechargeables you should pick an NiMH like the Rayovac hybrid or the Sanyo Eneloop. These hold their charge for much longer than standard NiMH rechargeables. On regular old alkalines you don't get great results with the L0D Q4. Have fun!

Brock

Flashaholic
I have the LOD CE (spring 07 version) and regularly run a Li-ion 10440 in it. It basically moves all the levels up a notch and darn near matches the P1D for output. Of course the runtime on high is like 15 minutes although most of the time I use it in low mode which is comparable to "normal" running regular batteries. If I know I am going to run the light for a while I run an Enloop AAA in it and it works great.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also run a 10440 cell in mine, and have been for almost a year now with no problems. It's amazing how bright it is on high with the li-ion cell, at least 150 lumens out the front! It's a real attention getter thats for sure :naughty: I mostly use low(which is 35 lumens on the li-ion) anytime that the light will see constant on for awhile. Medium with the 10440 is a hair bit brighter than high is on an Nimh cell!

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who provided some very helpful input. Ordered the LOD-CE Q4 from Fenix-Store with the coupon. I hope I'm not spoiled with the insane brightness of my current P1D Q5!
I do have another question about my current 2AA and 6D maglites.
  • Can they be upgraded to using a strong LED bulb that provides brighter light with increased runtimes? I believe that my P1D is brighter and stronger than my 6D! Any advice would be appreciated. This is a great forum!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks to all who provided some very helpful input. Ordered the LOD-CE Q4 from Fenix-Store with the coupon. I hope I'm not spoiled with the insane brightness of my current P1D Q5!
I do have another question about my current 2AA and 6D maglites.
  • Can they be upgraded to using a strong LED bulb that provides brighter light with increased runtimes? I believe that my P1D is brighter and stronger than my 6D! Any advice would be appreciated. This is a great forum!

Try this
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2560

and this
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2559