lightest 1x CR123A/3.6V flashlight <50USD

jufam44

Enlightened
:welcome:,

If you ask question as to what the "best is", you'll get too many responses to count. Can you tell us what this light will be used for? Do you need a thrower, or is a floodlight better for your work (I.E. Do you light things up a long distance away, or do you need it for short distance work, or maybe both?).

Ultrafire lights are OK, and I've owned one for a bit now, but I keep coming back to SF for quality. Did you consider the G2LED or the 6pLED (I know MSRP isn't below 50, but if you hunt around you'll be able to find it on fleabay.)

If you like the ultrafire, go ahead and get it, and I'm sure you'll be amazed by its brightness for the size. But If you can give us more information, we might be able to help you more.

Sincerely,
Max

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Try the Fenix P1d ce from the Fenix store. I use mine with a rechargeable 3.7 volt 123 and it's brighter than my other 100 lumen lights. You also get an 8% discount with free shipping (see dealers corner). You get a quality light with holster and clip for much less than fifty bucks and don't have to wait a long time for the light to get to you.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3786 The FMR1. There were some initial problems with the EMR1 that I don't know if the manufacturer have licked yet.

I'm fond of this one. Unfortunately, it's backordered for about a month. For the price, a good, small light. Everyone I've shown them to locally do the "Wow, that's bright" thing. Build is pretty good. Have to keep the battery tube contact clean, though.

Granted, I have a Fenix P1 CE on my keychain, but it's a one level light I picked up on clearance for about 26 bucks.

The Olight T10 Q5 is also very small and bright. It's pushing the limits of your budget.

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3786 The FMR1. There were some initial problems with the EMR1 that I don't know if the manufacturer have licked yet.

I'm fond of this one. Unfortunately, it's backordered for about a month. For the price, a good, small light. Everyone I've shown them to locally do the "Wow, that's bright" thing. Build is pretty good. Have to keep the battery tube contact clean, though.

Granted, I have a Fenix P1 CE on my keychain, but it's a one level light I picked up on clearance for about 26 bucks.

The Olight T10 Q5 is also very small and bright. It's pushing the limits of your budget.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Do you think this light is brighter than the Ultrafire R1, which I posted above?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 3 of those Ultrafire's - both EMR1 and FMR1 - one has the side switch and one the tailswitch. They are all crazy bright and very small. There were a couple initially that seemed dimmer per some reports but these were made to run on 3.6 volt if you want brightness - mine worked fine on both 3.0 and 3.6 but 3.6 volt is noticeably brighter and makes it a real screamer and you won't find many CR123 based lights that are shorter than these. The tailswitch version is a bit slippery for turning on. You might also look at the Olight T10 Q5 version which is also very bright with very good throw. Similar features and a great UI. It does somewhat lose lower settings though on 3.6 volt batteries.

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
I was already looking for the EMR1, but unfortunately it says that using 3.6V rechargeable CR123A might damage it.
is that true? otherwise i would go for this flashlight. It is proably brighter than the R1 with the Cree P4, isn't it?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I gave my Ultrafire EMR1 away to my sister. I didn't hate the light, I just had no use for it. It's bright and it's actually not horribly put together, but it's nothing special. The finish is grainy on it, and the beam has a lot of artifacts from the smooth reflector. One thing I did notice is that when I ran with it, it would automatically change modes just from the movement...this is something to consider if you have any real important need for the light..you don't want it going to strobe at an in-opportune moment. My Fenix L0D became my running light for this very reason, because it held its mode even when I shook the hell out of it. I'de look into the Fenix P1D-CE..you can't really go wrong with those. Check out the BST and you might find it for a decent price too.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the perfect light for you :). The Olight T10 Q5 (2008 edition! previous was beat by the P2D Q5), IMO the best of the best in 1xCR123s right now, is being sold at batteryjunction for $50.

This thing is amazing! Spill is twice as bright as the P2D, spot is 30% brighter, perfectly regulated, and it works great on RCRs :twothumbs, and the low modes have much better runtimes than the P2D Q5. Drawbacks: only .5hr runtime on max, and you may not like the tight hotspot. 1mm shorter than the DX lights you're looking at, so you probably wouldn't mind the length, but it is 9mm longer than the P2D Q5. I don't have one, but I think this may actually be a pro, making it easier to hold / click.

meuge

Enlightened
I'm looking for the brightest flashlight which runs on one CR123A rechargeable battery with 3,6V.
my budget is 50USD.
size: the smaller the batter.

i found this one at www.dealextreme.com
does anybody know this flashlight? i used the search-option, but i didn't find anything.
could anybody tell me something about it?

Ultrafire R1 5-Mode Cree Flashlight (1xCR123A/3.6V) - $23.81

Are modes important to you? If not, the Romisen RC-N3 from DX might fit the bill... and it comes with a 2-AA body as well!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion: Hyperion

VERY bright, all levels works with rechargeable (unlike Fenix P1D), very light (35 grams excluding the battery), anodization is far better than Fenix (near surefire quality), twisty reliability, cheap. Also really small ...

It has been discontinued but post in the WTB section and I'm pretty sure you will find one.

Last edited:

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
The Hyperion really looks great!!

Is there any dealer who sells and ships it to germany right now?

jim331656

Newly Enlightened
what kind of rcr's are you using?
I was hearing that you lose the low settings on this light when you use rcr's

I know the perfect light for you :). The Olight T10 Q5 (2008 edition! previous was beat by the P2D Q5), IMO the best of the best in 1xCR123s right now, is being sold at batteryjunction for $50.

This thing is amazing! Spill is twice as bright as the P2D, spot is 30% brighter, perfectly regulated, and it works great on RCRs :twothumbs, and the low modes have much better runtimes than the P2D Q5. Drawbacks: only .5hr runtime on max, and you may not like the tight hotspot. 1mm shorter than the DX lights you're looking at, so you probably wouldn't mind the length, but it is 9mm longer than the P2D Q5. I don't have one, but I think this may actually be a pro, making it easier to hold / click.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Are you looking for "lightest" i.e. weighs lowest? If so, under $15 single RCR123A lights such as few reviewed by BB would serve you the best.

★★★★ Pocket 142lm CREE P4 Flashlight (CR123A) KD / DX
Throw: 1100 lux (It heats up very quickly and output drops to around 900 within 2 minutes)
Lightbox: 95 lux (Initial peak is 120 lux)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I believe that single RCR123A drivers are generally not able to drive the LED at 1A or more. But if you direct drive an emitter with low Vf with the same single fully charged RCR123A, it can pull in excess of 1A giving you the so called "crazy bright" hand-warmer light, at least until the voltage starts sagging. Some of the el-cheapo (lightest) lights thus ends up being the brightest :) I have $12 pocket light which is insanely bright and kills 2007 Invova T3 in brightness.

- Vikas

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
what kind of rcr's are you using?
I was hearing that you lose the low settings on this light when you use rcr's

the low modes were lost in the regular Olight T10 Q5. But the new Special Edition T10 Q5 has redesigned circuitry that has no problems with RCRs.