Tiablo A9 or Fenix T1 ?

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
I'd like to get one of these...

it looks like the A9 is more expensive by about 40 bucks

I'm looking for a good mix of flood and throw, maybe a little more flood...

what do you guys think ?

thanks for the help ! :twothumbs

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on what you intend to use it for. Some will tell you that throw lights are useless for closer work etc. I disagree. The Tiablo is good for a variety of tasks. If you truly need more spill light and a smaller light go with the Fenix. Another good allround light is the Dereelight CL1H, it's a slim 18650 light.
If you look for a thrower with lots of spill the original LumaPower MRV design is unbeatable. (It can be had for as little as $68 from DX (sku.5424). Note that the other offer on DX with a holster is not the real thing, other driver in it).
Stefan

1 what

Enlightened
I've got a T1 and an A9.
Both great lights IMO.
My impression is that the T1 is more "solid" and easier to cary due to its smaller sized head but if you want extra throw at any cost then the A9 with smooth reflector will out-perform the T1.
If I could only have one I think I'd select the T1 - I just like the build of it and the way it feels.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Aren't you getting the DBS?

The A9 would be similar(with less throw). Too bright of a hotspot for close range use.

Usually larger hotspot means a smaller reflector so the T1 would have a wide beam then the DBS/A9(are you looking for a wider hotspot or a brighter spill?). Maybe even something like the P3D-CE Q5 would work as a floodier light.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
I dont have an A9 but i do have a T1 and i like it alot. it feels solid and you know its tough after what the T1 went through after CPF members tested the T1's durability. As far as throw, T1 is not bad at all. Can you really see what the tiablo can reach without any binoculars?? I cant.

pezdragon

Newly Enlightened
Absolutly the T1. I had both and ,yes the A9 throws farther, but when side by side the T1 is far more useful. It has good throw,good spill and is really well made. The A9 I sent back for poor construction and iffy engineering.It just felt fragile in the hand. If you can ,get a clipless T1. The clip will drive you crazy....Pez

jenskh

Enlightened
If you want to use rechargeable batteries, then I think the ability to use 18650 batteries is a great advantage. As far as I know, T1 can not do that.

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
Aren't you getting the DBS?

The A9 would be similar(with less throw). Too bright of a hotspot for close range use.

Usually larger hotspot means a smaller reflector so the T1 would have a wide beam then the DBS/A9(are you looking for a wider hotspot or a brighter spill?). Maybe even something like the P3D-CE Q5 would work as a floodier light.

yea...I'm getting that one too..

Since the DBS is an excellent thrower, I want something else that has good flood ability as well. I'm looking for a brighter spill I suppose, thought something with lots of lumens would work well.

Thanks for all the input guys ! :wave:

JasonH

Enlightened
If your looking for spill and not as much throw as the DBS I would go for either the p3d q5 from fenix, which cant use 18650's :(
Or the CL1H from dereelight which can use 18650's and also be upgraded with new emitters easily.
Also It seems to be brighter overall then a T1 or even p3d q5.

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
Absolutly the T1. I had both and ,yes the A9 throws farther, but when side by side the T1 is far more useful. It has good throw,good spill and is really well made. The A9 I sent back for poor construction and iffy engineering.It just felt fragile in the hand. If you can ,get a clipless T1. The clip will drive you crazy....Pez

my tiablo has suffered multiple drops with no damage to the anodizing or body of the light. it has withstood many uses out in the hills and the river bottom here in riverside without any problems. the light has never failed me and has been wonderful on batteries with perfect regulation. with the orange peel reflector it is a much more usable light up close and i can carry it in my pocket without noticing to much. i am only 5 8 and 140 pounds so my pockets are normal sized or even a bit smaller than normal. it isnt a surefire but even the fenix doesn't have that "surefire" feel.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you want the T1. I just got a A9 for myself in hongkong, and was very impressed by its ability to throw. The hotspot is actually painful to look at on a white wall. However, the T1 does have a more useful beam over all. Only get the A9 if youre looking for throw. Incidently, i had to choose between a Jet-pro 1 and A9, A9 being quite a bit more expensive. It was a hard descision.

Crenshaw

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to get one of these...

it looks like the A9 is more expensive by about 40 bucks

I'm looking for a good mix of flood and throw, maybe a little more flood...

what do you guys think ?

thanks for the help ! :twothumbs

Also look for a light module that is specifically designed for the cells that you intend to use. for example, a light designed for 2 x 123 cells will Not allways work perfectly in regulation with 18650.

More Flood generally equates to MOP or LOP reflector.
More Throw = Smooth.

There are some Hybrid reflectors that try to balance both.