Fenix L2S modding

krazy89

Enlightened
hey everyone...

just wondering if anyone the specs for the driver unit that's in a L2S??

was thinking of dropping a Q4 or Q5 in there.. but dont' know if the driver in there will be good enough for it???

if anyone has done this mod... please shed some light on this for me...

thanks,

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm...

i can get a L1S pretty cheap.. and thought that i would do the mod... and basically make it a L1D Q5....

maybe it's a lil bit more trouble than it's worth... might as well just buy a L1D Q5??!?!

KraZy

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm...

i can get a L1S pretty cheap.. and thought that i would do the mod... and basically make it a L1D Q5....

maybe it's a lil bit more trouble than it's worth... might as well just buy a L1D Q5??!?!

KraZy

Yes, get the L1D Q5. Besides the obvoius mounting and wiring issues, You would also have to deal with the Luxeon reflector not working well with the CREE.

krazy89

Enlightened
haha... dangit...

was hoping i wouldn't have to pay $50+ for a Q5.... but alas... i guess the trouble of doing the mod isn't really worth it...

Thanks guys.

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
hey tebore..

u saying just swap the emitters on it???

i don't think that will help very much??? probably only a lil bit brighter... or is it quite a bit brighter??

KraZy

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For the L2S, the hardest part would probably be opening up the light. The Cree LED also won't work that well with the reflector, it would leave you with a ring around the hot-spot, the Seoul LED would work better.

The driver should drive all the LEDs mentioned pretty well.

You won't gain the modes of the L2D if you mod the L2S with a Seoul/Cree.

Bigsy

Enlightened
I recently modded a whole bunch of old Fenix's from luxeons to SSC, very easy if you have some thermal adhesive to isolate the slug. Not so easy if the head is glued like the L1T I had, damn that was difficult to get into, I had to freeze and boil the head twice before I could unscrew it.

As for using an SSC I think its the best led for the job (ignoring the cree focus on a luxeon reflector). They will give a nice smooth ringless beam (soon as old fenix wont have op reflector) and a lower vf.

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys...

is taking out the pill of the L2S (or all Fenix's for that matter) hard??? is it glued in?

i am a bit confused about just swapping out the emitter.. and using the original driver unit.... wouldn't it make almost 0 difference if the driver is still supplying the emitter with the same voltage/current even if it's a different emitter???

KraZy

Bigsy

Enlightened
Not all fenix's are glued, least 2 of mine that I modded were not. If it is glued you could try freezing it or boiling it in a plastic bag. I seem to have best luck freezing them then dunking into boiling water.

If you upgrade the led it will be more efficient and turn more of you voltage/current supplied into light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Seoul P4 U bin is a bit more then twice the efficiency of the Luxeon I used in the L1/2S, so for the same power the current gen LEDs will produce twice(or more) the output. The driver probably won't change the power supplied to the LED, so you should get double the output.

Yes, the head is glued.

krazy89

Enlightened
well.. i'm obviously new to modding... otherwise... i wouldn't be asking these questions.... and i'm not an electrical engineer.... just love lights...

hmm... maybe i should just order a ssc and put it in...

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
hmm.... don't know what i was thinking... must've forgot my brain at home today...

newer gen emitters are more efficient... ie same current... more light... duh!!!

gotta find a mirror... maybe my black hair turned to blonde!?!?

KraZy