New Dual-Output Surefire KX2 and rechargeables

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Am new here, and just got my first LED conversion head for my surefire. It's a KX2 with dual output, which I think they revamped in March this year.

I've read that the old KX2 heads on seemed to tolerate 2 RCR123As, and was wondering if anyone knew if this newer model could do the same? Thanks!

David

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KX2-BK (dual-output) works with 2 RCR123 rechargeables in my black E2e body...making an E2L-BK. :)

Last edited:

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Eggsellent! Off to the store I got for some rechargeables!

I'm assuming you use 3V and not 3.7V RCR123s?

Cool collection btw! I'm running an E2D with the LED head. What mod is that on your E2D to make the head so big?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eggsellent! Off to the store I got for some rechargeables!

I'm assuming you use 3V and not 3.7V RCR123s?

Cool collection btw! I'm running an E2D with the LED head. What mod is that on your E2D to make the head so big?

I use AW RCR123 3.7 volt rechargeables. They're probably overdriving the LED a bit...but as long as it works, I'm happy. :)

That's an E2C adapter and a 6P defender strike bezel. That enables me to have unlimited potential for upgrade with P60 LED drop-ins. E2C Sale Thread

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Was reading about the whole battery-diameter vs SF light diameter, and was actually about to ask you regarding your battery diameter! :)

I've heard that the older AW R123 LifePO4 3V(still available at lighthoud I think) might be too big for the SF E series (16.8mm diameter vs 16.6 for the new R123s). Do you have any experience with this? Was looking at the older 3V version due to voltage, etc. Speaking of which, any idea what 2x3.7v will do to the life of the LED head? I know the heads are voltage-regulating to an extent, but don't know enough about 'em to know how well they handle things. Thanks again!

David

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was reading about the whole battery-diameter vs SF light diameter, and was actually about to ask you regarding your battery diameter! :)

I've heard that the older AW R123 LifePO4 3V(still available at lighthoud I think) might be too big for the SF E series (16.8mm diameter vs 16.6 for the new R123s). Do you have any experience with this? Was looking at the older 3V version due to voltage, etc. Speaking of which, any idea what 2x3.7v will do to the life of the LED head? I know the heads are voltage-regulating to an extent, but don't know enough about 'em to know how well they handle things. Thanks again!

David

Oh...actually, i forgot that my E2e body was bored out to fit a 17670 (even thicker than RCR123)...so I don't know if you'll have trouble. Maybe someone else can help.