Fenix 18650 light coming soon

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens (owner fenix-store.com) dropped a clue in the TK10/T11 thread, post 92.

Luke, the Tk10 will not take 18650's. There will be another model soon that will take that cell. :)

Let's hope its small like the P3D and NOT Tacticool.

:thumbsup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah - hope it is small like the P3D and NOT another tacktical light. I think there are soo many tacktical lights now and it would be smart to come out with something a bit different. Make it small without Klingon strike bezels or huge chunks of aluminum sticking all over the place.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be a big fan of rechargeables, but found that CR123's last me so long and are so inexpensive that, for me they are the way to go. I can buy a bunch of primaries for the cost of a couple of 18650's and charger, so thats the route I take.

This is especially true with regulated lights like the T1 and TK10, where there is no lumen penalty for using a primary that is halfway used up.

For heavy users, or those who just always like to have a topped off battery, rechargeables are still king.

Ultimately, a light that can eat either flavor is nice.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle,
I totally understand, and I don't even own any 18650's. It took me a long time to invest in rcr123s and 17670s for that reason.
I doubt I'll ever break even with my LiIon and charger purchase. But now I can use a light anytime I want even if I don't really need to because of the guilt free lumens.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle:

I see where you're coming from- for 2 18650's from AW and a cheap charger you're looking at at least 30 decent CR123A's- It'd take me a very long time to work through those. However, with 18650's I'll always have fresh batteries when I leave the house and I'll never feel guilty lobbing CR123A's in the trash- that's why I prefer 18650's, especially since I'll have a hard time justifying using a primary only light with all the ones that use the rechargeable AA's instead.
It'd be nice if lights were made where if you put in 2 CR123's it'd feed off them in parallel, or you could put in 1 18650 and it'd feed off that. This would avoid having to make drivers to cope with 6V+ as well.

ginaz

Enlightened
in about 2 years i've gone through maybe 18 123 primaries. i did get some rcr123's and thats all i use for my HDS, Dmini and Q3.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I am anxious to see what the new light will be. At present, I don't even own any 18650s. I only have 1 light that can use them. That being said, they have the most power for the size until you go to a much larger light.

I think the best part of rechargeables is not for EDC, but for using lights at other times, or working w/ them. It lets you use a light that would normally suck down batteries much more often than you normally would. Yes, you could buy 30 123s, but those 30 go fast if you are burning 3 at a time in 20 or 30 mins.

I use primaries in my EDC, rechargeables in my work light. The rechargeables are also around if I want to play w/ lights that don't neccesarily have a purpose. The range of voltage LEDs can use also help cut down the types of batteries you have to have.

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to read about these batteries, but can't find a brief summary of their benefits. Could someone enlighten me?

It looks to me like these *might* be the exact same size as an AA battery? I've put a LOT of effort into making sure that all of my outdoor/field gear uses AA batteries if at all possible to sensure that I switch batteries between all my devices in a pinch.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting point about the rechargeables. For someone where this is their only light, buying 18650s and chargers really doesn't make sense, it will probably amount to a push after many years of use, and often using primaries is more convenient than remembering to recharge, although always starting with a charge topped off is nice.

For incandescent applications however, which in my case can draw between 3x and 20x as much power as any Fenix light, rechargeable is the only way to go. For example, my second most used light is a 1x18650 incan. A comparable 6p would drain 2CR123s an hour. My 2 AW C's used in my ROP-Hi (my third most used light), have MORE than paid for themselves compared to, say, a 3s2p CR123 configuration, like the Surefire M6, where you can blow over $30 an hour in CR123s.

The reason that I personally only go for LED lights now that accept 18650s (excluding keychain lights) has to do with the fact I already have a lot of 18650s, and want to standardize everything. A few times I've gone camping etc. and brought several lights that ALL use 18650s. Then, I bring a whole bunch of 18650s as spares as a way of standardizing.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've been trying to read about these batteries, but can't find a brief summary of their benefits. Could someone enlighten me?

It looks to me like these *might* be the exact same size as an AA battery? I've put a LOT of effort into making sure that all of my outdoor/field gear uses AA batteries if at all possible to sensure that I switch batteries between all my devices in a pinch.

A 18650 is a little wider than two CR123's stacked up. It's 18mm wide x 65mm long, where AA is 14mm wide x 50mm long. Click the picture.

It's basically a fairly compact package with tons of stored energy.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, having only a single cell eleminates a lot of potential problems.
But if they make the light fatter, i wouldnt want a direct P3D clone.. a reflector a little bigger would be ncie.

mighty82

Enlightened
Well, having only a single cell eleminates a lot of potential problems.
But if they make the light fatter, i wouldnt want a direct P3D clone.. a reflector a little bigger would be ncie.
A bigger reflector/head is exactly what i DON'T want. 99% of the 18650 lights have a big head. A edc should slide easily down into your pocket.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Oh, great god of LED torches, please let this be more than just idle rumor.
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: