Malkoff drop-ins for Mag: are they worth it?

BMF

Enlightened
There are 2 versions: regular at $75 and quad at $250. What's the best value? And their performances?

IcantC

Enlightened
What is worth it to one, is not worth it to another. What is your defination of "worth"?

What do you plan to use this for?

What host do you have(read the requirements on his site).

I have the regular in my 3D Mag and love it.

BMF

Enlightened
What is worth it to one, is not worth it to another. What is your defination of "worth"?

What do you plan to use this for?

What host do you have(read the requirements on his site).

I have the regular in my 3D Mag and love it.

I meant about value. I've read for about $50 we can have an ROP at 1000 lumens. And for $250 we can build a 1500 lumens Mag. I have 2D, 3D and 4D still in unopened packages. I also want to know these Mag drop ins will have the same "Wow" as the MN60?

jake25

Enlightened
a ROP that can put out more than 1000bulb lumens costs a bit more than 50

for 250 you can build something with 4000-4500 bulb lumens

and as others mentioned, it depends on what you want, a wall of light or something that throws

IcantC

Enlightened
If you want something for the wow factor, go with ROP. IMO ROP is more for ooohs and ahhs... Also for short term use, unless using the ROP low bulb.

The Malkoff I have runs for a few hours with about 200ish lumens out the front for real work. I do not worry about the batteries dieing in 20-30 mins as with a ROP. Not to mention ROP is too bright for most work, unless you use it for spotting outdoors.

I have both, and they have thier own places.

Edit: Saw your question about the MN60. MN60 is in the league of ROP and not the Malkofff. I find the MN60 better than ROP high outdoors.

Also in all my posts I refer to the single Malkoff dropin, I do not have the Quad.

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
a ROP that can put out more than 1000bulb lumens costs a bit more than 50

for 250 you can build something with 4000-4500 bulb lumens

and as others mentioned, it depends on what you want, a wall of light or something that throws

Well, kind of both.

IcantC

Enlightened
If you will intend to use for short periods of times, build a ROP. You can swap between the high and low bulb for when you need longer runtimes.

If you want something that is reliable, long runtimes and no worries of blowing/replacing bulbs/constant recharges, get the Malkoff. I have both SMO and OP. SMO will make it throw, the OP gives a floody beam. I keep the SMO on.