N30 vs. Boxer 24W

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
Hi peeps,

Got my new N30 today from Battery Junction. I thought I'd compare it to my Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W 168R from Pacific Tactical Solutions. As this was the first run from the N30, I wasn't expecting too much, but as I type right now, the N30 has given up the ghost at 57 minutes runtime from its first run.

Here are some beamshots :) I don't have a very good camera, but I tried my best!

EXIF Details:
Code:
Make    FUJIFILM
Model    FinePix F31fd  
Orientation    top, left side
X Resolution    1/72 inches
Y Resolution    1/72 inches
Resolution Unit    Inches
Software    Digital Camera FinePix F31fd   Ver1.00
Date/Time    2008:03:19 19:49:41
YCbCr Positioning    Datum point
Copyright        
Exposure Time    5 sec
F-Number    F2.8
Exposure Program    Landscape mode
ISO Speed Ratings    200
Exif Version    2.20
Date/Time Original    2008:03:19 19:49:41
Date/Time Digitized    2008:03:19 19:49:41
Components Configuration    YCbCr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel    4 bits/pixel
Shutter Speed Value    1/0 sec
Aperture Value    F2.8
Brightness Value    -515/100
Exposure Bias Value    0
Max Aperture Value    F2.8
Metering Mode    Multi-segment
Light Source    Unknown
Flash    Unknown (16)
Focal Length    8.0 mm
FlashPix Version    1.00
Color Space    sRGB
Exif Image Width    2848 pixels
Exif Image Height    2136 pixels
Focal Plane X Resolution    1/3703 cm
Focal Plane Y Resolution    1/3703 cm
Focal Plane Resolution Unit    cm
Sensing Method    One-chip color area sensor
File Source    Digital Still Camera (DSC)
Scene Type    Directly photographed image
Compression    JPEG compression
Thumbnail Offset    1398 bytes
Thumbnail Length    8672 bytes
Thumbnail Data    [8672 bytes of thumbnail data]
- FujiFilm Makernote
Makernote Version    0130
Quality    
Sharpness    Normal
White Balance    Auto
Flash Mode    Off
Flash Strength    262151/33619968 eV (Apex)
Macro    Off
Focus Mode    Auto focus
Slow Synchro    Off
Picture Mode    Night scene
Continuous Taking Or Auto Bracketting    Off
Blur Warning    Blur warning
Focus Warning    Auto focus good
AE Warning    AE good
- Interoperability
Interoperability Index    Recommended Exif Interoperability Rules (ExifR98)
Interoperability Version    1.00
The Boathouse at 50 yards:

N30:
n30_boathouse.jpg

Boxer 24W:
boxer_boathouse.jpg

The end of our lake at 190 yards:

N30:
n30_lakeend.jpg

Boxer:
boxer_lakeend.jpg

Hope that helps somebody! Hope you enjoyed the mini shootout :) ATB,

Rich.

Edit: Oops, I almost forgot the size comparison!

n30-boxer.jpg

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
The size comparisons seem to be fairly well lined up with the output difference. And the price seems to be inversely prortioned to the size! :green: but then again, that's expected!

But having both, what's your conclusion? Do they both have a place for you or do you regret buying one of them?

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
The size comparisons seem to be fairly well lined up with the output difference. And the price seems to be inversely prortioned to the size! :green: but then again, that's expected!

But having both, what's your conclusion? Do they both have a place for you or do you regret buying one of them?

My conclusion is inconclusive :) I love both lights, but the N30 would now be my weapon of choice for searching for Poachers on our lake from 300 yards, where the ranch is located :) If I had to confront Poachers, the Boxer would be my weapon of choice for a close encounter :) HTH,

Rich.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The N30 is such a nice light for the money isn't it!? While the boxer is so small and pocketable.

Thanks for the beamshots. :)

husky20

Banned
Thank you for the beam shots they were great!:twothumbsI love that little n30 i am waiting to check out the L35 same as the n30 but lithium ion and i think more weather resistant and different color i will choose one of them though they are very great deals for the money!I already have the Sam's power on board hid. Its nice but kinda heavy.will be nice to have a three something pound light with that kind of output.:grin2:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the beam shots they were great!:twothumbsI love that little n30 i am waiting to check out the L35 same as the n30 but lithium ion and i think more weather resistant and different color i will choose one of them though they are very great deals for the money!I already have the Sam's power on board hid. Its nice but kinda heavy.will be nice to have a three something pound light with that kind of output.:grin2:

With tape over the back port, the N30's are actually quite weather proof.
The Manufacturer subjected one to a JIS water jet spray apparatus and it continued to work even with the back port not covered.
They themselves recommend covering the back port because water can get to the circuitry in the pack. I use gorilla tape.
The other parts of the light internals are quite weather proof.
The bulb utilizes waterproof auto connectors.
The ballast is encased in heat transfer gel/epoxy.
Even with some water in the case the light will still function.
All of these tests were done after the release of the N30's.
For me personally, I have used my N30's in rain for 30+ minutes with no problems. When the rain is very heavy I slip it into a 1 gallon food storage bag and duct tape the opening of the bag around the lens retaining ring.

Regarding the L35, they will be worth the wait for anybody remembering the L35 will be significantly more expensive then the N30. They are not just getting a Li-Ion battery. There will be numerous other improvements that will make them worth every penny extra :D . The original target price listed in the Announcement thread, when Wayne owned the company, was $245-$325. That was over a year ago now and the US dollar has not faired well in the international markets. Add to this the fact that the manufacturers costs for components, materials, power supplies, etc. have gone up. Now remember that increased fuel prices have cause shipping prices to increase over the last year too.
I do not know the price point that Matt will bring these in at but, as I have said before, he will have to pull the proverbial rabbit out of a hat to be anywhere near the low end of the original range. Even the middle of that range will likely be rather difficult.
Once again I am only writing reminding everybody of the original price target range that was based on the products being produced and shipped last year before Wayne ran into troubles and had to sell his company.
This is because even with that OUTDATED price guess the L35 was going to be significantly more expensive.

I must say I am looking forward to seeing the L35's on the market too :D .
They will be nice lights.
The runtime will be quite respectable :D :D :D .
Don't bother asking how I know this. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Last edited:

husky20

Banned
I cant wait they sound like there going to be great.I think of them as bargain polarions.Would be cool if they changed up the design a little.I think they will weigh substantially less to.Which is awesome.you get what you pay for they sound like they will be worth the extra dough:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant wait they sound like there going to be great.I think of them as bargain polarions.Would be cool if they changed up the design a little.I think they will weigh substantially less to.Which is awesome.you get what you pay for they sound like they will be worth the extra dough:thumbsup:

I was talking with Mr. Ted Bear the other day and we were both mentioning how our most used lights are our N30's. We both own Polarion X1's. The thing is that while the X1 puts more light down field, for most tasks the N30 is plenty. Plus a new N30 can be purchased for less then the X1 replacement bulb or battery.

The L35 is going to be nice, I really like the input Matt has had with the design.
I can't say anything else other then it has been fun working with him to help make these lights a reality.
I don't even know the time frame for them but must say I am looking forward the the L35 too :D .

Take Care,

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Regarding the L35, they will be worth the wait for anybody remembering the L35 will be significantly more expensive then the N30. They are not just getting a Li-Ion battery. There will be numerous other improvements that will make them worth every penny extra :D . Take Care,
What improvements over the original spec have been added? Don't be cheap now.

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
A couple more beamshots here, this time the target tree is 300 yards away.

N30:
n30_300.jpg

Boxer:
boxer_300.jpg

The N30 has just completed it's third discharge cycle and the run time was 58 minutes!

Rich :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love that first set of pics; they really show the advantage of the 4200K bulbs.

Especially with regards to the spill on the green grass.

It's funny how the color temperature issue, started by the automotive "fad" lighting spilled over so that even some CPFers say that they like blue light.

Clearly the 4200K range is superior when you have a choice. IMO these two lights fall into different catagories. When you buy something as small as the Boxer you're obviously limited and have to settle with the 6000K thing. That's why I say..."when you have a choice" :)

Thanks for carrying this light Matt. I'm looking forward to the L35.