First Fenix Purchase - WOW

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys,

I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me. In comparison to my friends, I am usually the crazy one spluring over $50 for a flashlight, and I usually have more than one flashlight with me at all times (Photon Freedom Microlight on my keys, and MagLite Solitaire with TekTite LT3 Upgrade in my other pocket). After reading about 10 pages from this post, I realize I am nowhere near any of you guys. I thought I own a few very high quality flashlights (i.e., Inova T1, Inova X5, Inova 24/7, Mini MagLite with TerraLux MiniStar 2 Extreme Upgrade, and MagLite Solitaire with TekTite LT3 Upgrade), but my recent acquisition of Fenix L2D Premium Q5 blew my mind away. I cannot believe how bright this 2xAA flashlight runs. :twothumbs What's also surprising is that this flashlight is manufactured in China, which usually have a bad rep for making low quality products. Anyway, I fell in love with this flashlight the moment I got it. I actually just ordered the Fenix L0D Q4 to replace my MagLite Solitaire, which I've been edcing for the past 3 years.

Now, my newbie questions are ...
(1) from the specs of the flashlight, they say you use 2 x 1.5v AA batteries. From what I know about batteries, this would indicate that it uses either Akaline or Lithium batteries, since Ni-MH is only 1.2v. Has anyone use Ni-MH on their L2D?

(2) Is there any difference in output level?

(3) Will this damage the flashlight?

(4) What batteries do you recommend for this flashlight? (I'm looking at the Sanyo Eneloop, which has low self-discharge).

(5) Finally, the product specs says that for the high-power 107 Lumens, will run for 4 hours. This seems kind of high in comparison to many other top-notch flashlights (i.e., surefire) that uses CR123a batteries with lower lumens. Is 4 hour over exaggeration? If not, what batteries are they assuming you're using?

Thanks so much. This forum rocks!:twothumbs

pbs357

Enlightened
Hi xcel! :welcome:

NiMH AA batts will hold a little over 1.5v with a full charge. I don't have an L2D but I can't see a brightness difference with a fresh alkaline vs. a freshly charged Sanyo Eneloop in my L1D. Because the voltage is similar to the 1.5v alkalines, it's safe to use them, and obviously a cost savings and environmentally friendly move as well. Hope this helps and welcome aboard!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
(5) Finally, the product specs says that for the high-power 107 Lumens, will run for 4 hours. This seems kind of high in comparison to many other top-notch flashlights (i.e., surefire) that uses CR123a batteries with lower lumens. Is 4 hour over exaggeration? If not, what batteries are they assuming you're using?

Your post reminds me of when I first got my Fenix P1D-CE. :)

Are you looking at an incan Surefire? The Cree Q5 is very efficient, so you can expect to get 107 lumens for 4 hours, and maybe for even longer using NiMH's. :)

If you are impressed with the L2D, you should pick up a P2D Q5, if you don't mind feeding it CR123's. Basically the same output in a much smaller size, but you may prefer the larger size of the L2D.

Did you order from Fenix-store.com? For future purchases, as a CPF member, use discount code CPF8 for a discount, and Fenix-store now offers a life-time warranty on fenix products purchased from them! :twothumbs

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Just to let you know eneloops or other hybrids have a higher voltage than nimh(1.2v). The Fenix has regulated output so it compensates somewhat for the difference in voltages.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you guys reply quick. Thanks for the great feedback! You could tell that I cannot contain my excitement of this new flashlight. I know that there are better flashlights out there such as the JetBeam Jet-I Pro, which you could literally blind someone, but I think for now my Fenix L2D and Fenix L0D would be great EDCers (L2D in car, L0D in pocket). If anyone could answer the rest of my questions, that'll be great. Thanks again.

jugg2

Enlightened
SureFire lumens are actual out the front (of the light) lumens. Fenix lumens are at the emitter. Thats why the Fenix looks so much brighter by its specs. Also, a LED will usually run brighter and longer than a similar incandesant.

Eneloops are great batteries. I have a bunch of them, and no problems so far. The low self discharge (IMHO) is well worth the 500mah loss in capacity compared to some other cells.

Also, the Eneloops will not cause your light to run dimmer. Fenix lights are regulated. That means that up to a certain point of battery drain it will produce a constant level of light.

Hope all this helps!:thumbsup:

jag808808

Enlightened
You just opened yourself to a whole new world!!! For me, it was a Streamlight TwinTask 3AA that started my "hobby" (EDC for work). Then it has gone from Fenix to Surefire to MilkyMods to...??? This bug bite is more worse than the stereophile bug I got growing up!!! Welcome to CPF! This forum has been great for information, reviews, and great deals (marketplace). Aloha!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. Alkaline batteries are actually one of the worst batteries for high power flashlight usage, besides Carbon Zinc. Many people use NiMh batteries.

2. There is no difference in output level with the different batteries.
Alkaline batteries would give you around 40 minutes of runtime to 50% on turbo. Good NiMh ones should give you around 1.5 hours on turbo. Lithiums should give you more then 2 hours on turbo(bit are also more expensive).

3. The light would be fine. It can handle up to 3.2(or was it 3.6v) without loosing modes and at least 4.2v without problem(it will loose modes until the batteries hit a low enough voltage).

4. NiMh batteries would be good. The Eneloops would be great if you won't use the light too much and also want rechargeable.

5. The runtime is done with NiMh batteries and depending on the battery, could be almost 5 hours on high. around 90 lumen out the front with one of the best current gen LED. The current gen LEDs are at least twice as efficient as the last gen ones (same power, double or more output) and are also much more efficient then incandescents. The last gen LEDs are the Luxeon I, III, V, and K2.

L2D runtime graphs.

China can make some pretty good products, given the right amount of money and resources.

I think you'll like the L0D-CE(remember NiMh batteries)

:welcome:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello xcel730 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Glad to hear you like yer' Fenix L2D-CE. :)

I can assure you it will run just fine and dandy on Sanyo Eneloops. :thumbsup:

This flashlight is fully-regulated, so there is no variation in brightness.

Hey, can someone point him to Chevrofreak's fantastic
runtime graphs ?

Take a look at 'em. You'll see.

Truly, a picture is worth a Thousand Words !

:twothumbs

_

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to the "didnt know a tiny light could be so bright club" :)
sounds like me finding my P1D-Ce for the first time.

Crenshaw

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
(1) from the specs of the flashlight, they say you use 2 x 1.5v AA batteries. From what I know about batteries, this would indicate that it uses either Akaline or Lithium batteries, since Ni-MH is only 1.2v. Has anyone use Ni-MH on their L2D?

:ohgeez:

Sorry, this is a little pet peeve of mine. Completely untrue. As alkies go through their life, the voltage decreases, starting at 1.6V down to 0V. If you put them under significant load (500ma+) then they start to droop- that is, the voltage drops significantly. This means that under load, apart from the first 10 minutes or so, NiMH (freshly charged) will have a higher voltage than brand new alkies, as NiMH maintains voltage far better under load. The lower the load, the longer alkies have the voltage advantage, the higher the load, the better NiMH is. Under low load, at 1V about half the capacity in alkies still remains. This means the device must function on about 1V per cell or less to get the most possible "juice" from the batteries. Unless severely drained, NiMH's should never really go down to 1V- you can see on the runtime graphs (linked below) the effect on life that running alkies at higher currents has.

(3) Will this damage the flashlight?

The only way to damage the light in normal use is to put the batteries in the wrong way round. Apart from that, it's pretty much bomb proof.

(4) What batteries do you recommend for this flashlight? (I'm looking at the Sanyo Eneloop, which has low self-discharge).

Eneloops are an excellent choice for this light.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155819

That should answer your questions ;)

Enjoy your light- I love mine, but waiting on a replacement head after putting the batteries in the wrong way round!

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
also don't be confused about the estimated lumens on the run time graphs because they're for the previous generation L2d but the run times are the same as your model.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for not saying "run a search on the forum, this has been covered every two weeks". The answer definitely gave me a very good insight on the flashlight itself and also batteries. The more I'm exposed to this forum, the more I realize how much I didn't know.

jugg2, thanks for clarifying that Surefire lumens are out the front while Fenix is at the emitter. This is something I didn't know. I speculated that the lumen rating was just marketing, but I figure I get something that says 180 lumens, I should get about 100 or so true lumens. Regardless, this is bright enough for what I need a flashlight for. However, this forum definitely is getting me hooked in getting the best possible flashlight.

Gunner12, you answered all my questions, and also answered another question that I was going to ask, by stating that the turbo mode is only about 90 lumens out the front.

I'm a big knife collector, and I didnt' even realize there was such thing as flashlight collectors. :shrug: This is awesome!!! :twothumbs

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi congrats on your first Fenix i am sure it wont be the last :)

why did you join this forum? why? please keep you wallet somewhere safe(not with you wife) :grin2::D:D:laughing:

Cheers
Rizki P

QUOTE=xcel730;2405200]Hello Guys,

I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me. In comparison to my friends, I am usually the crazy one spluring over $50 for a flashlight, and I usually have more than one flashlight with me at all times (Photon Freedom Microlight on my keys, and MagLite Solitaire with TekTite LT3 Upgrade in my other pocket). After reading about 10 pages from this post, I realize I am nowhere near any of you guys. I thought I own a few very high quality flashlights (i.e., Inova T1, Inova X5, Inova 24/7, Mini MagLite with TerraLux MiniStar 2 Extreme Upgrade, and MagLite Solitaire with TekTite LT3 Upgrade), but my recent acquisition of Fenix L2D Premium Q5 blew my mind away. I cannot believe how bright this 2xAA flashlight runs. :twothumbs What's also surprising is that this flashlight is manufactured in China, which usually have a bad rep for making low quality products. Anyway, I fell in love with this flashlight the moment I got it. I actually just ordered the Fenix L0D Q4 to replace my MagLite Solitaire, which I've been edcing for the past 3 years.

Thanks so much. This forum rocks!:twothumbs[/QUOTE]

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Gunner12, you answered all my questions, and also answered another question that I was going to ask, by stating that the turbo mode is only about 90 lumens out the front.
Opps, I meant high is around 90 lumen out the front, turbo should be in the range of 140-150 lumen.

jugg2

Enlightened
jugg2, thanks for clarifying that Surefire lumens are out the front while Fenix is at the emitter. This is something I didn't know. I speculated that the lumen rating was just marketing, but I figure I get something that says 180 lumens, I should get about 100 or so true lumens. Regardless, this is bright enough for what I need a flashlight for. However, this forum definitely is getting me hooked in getting the best possible flashlight.

No problem. When SureFire quotes a lumen number, you can be sure you will get at least that amount of lumens. Most other companies use the higher lumen count of the emitter lumens. It is still an accurate number, just not what you will see in acctual use. You can roughly convert emitter/bulb lumens by multiplying them by .65.

thefly01

Newly Enlightened
What got me hooked on Fenix was that you not only get 180 (from the emitter) but that it lasts 1.5 hours instead of 20 minutes. Congrats on your new Fenix:thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that there are better flashlights out there such as the JetBeam Jet-I Pro, which you could literally blind someone

I have a JetBeam Jet-I Pro, but I don't really consider it better than a Fenix. There are things about it that aren't as good as a Fenix. It's main feature is it is designed to be small and be a thrower. It will out throw my smaller Fenix's, but it won't out throw my Fenix T1. There are currently issues with the medium mode, and I'm not impressed by the quality of the clicky switch and parts holding the switch in the tail cap. Hopefully Jetbeam will make improvements to their Jet-I Pro, and then they'd have something better.

The best light is the light that does what you want it to do the best. That maybe a Fenix, or it may not be.