Flashlight Road Rage!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this is the correct area for this but just had to share it with everyone!

Let me start off by saying "YES" I realize what I did was likely not the most mature way to handle the situation and I likely could/should have been more adult. With that being said I still think its pretty funny!!

Last night my girlfriend and I were driving home from walmart and were at a light which we needed to make a left hand turn at (yes I was in the correct turn lane) and all seemed normal... When the green arrow came up for us the center lane and right turn lane signals were still RED. However some DOUCHE bag in the FAR RIGHT lane decided to turn left... he went in front of the guy in the center lane and cut me off as well... So I naturally beeped my horn and mouthed some choice words (no middle finger yet). My beeping the horn at this guy apparently didn't go over to well in his book so he slammed on his brakes... I of course was at a good distance from him so simply switched to the center lane of the road we were both now on...

While driving down the road he decides to slow down enough to get next to me and tell me what a "stupid fcuk" I was??? huh... so I decide to show him the longest finger on my and and proceeded to call him a "FCUKTARD"... I don't think he took it as a compliment as he pretended to swerve at my vehicle... okay... enough is enough.. so I make several attempts to just avoid him in traffic all which failed...

He still didn't apparently have his fill of RoadRage and wanted to again pull up next to me and start yelling at me... so I had my girlfriend call the police from her cell phone as I did everything I could to avoid him... However it was kind of late at night and the next light was red (almost no other traffic out) where he pulled up right next to my side of the truck and started cursing again... It was at this point I took out the flashlight I keep in my console (JETBEAM Jet-1 Pro = 200+ lumens) and gave him a nice momentary "ON" to the face! lol... he got completely silent for a second as I saw him close then start to rub his eyes... it lasted only for like a second at which point he became even MORE FURIOUS!!...

....however he could be as RAGEFUL as he wanted because coincidentally a trooper approached the intersection and lit him up! lol

I told the trooper my side as well did the other guy... he apparently was drinking and subsequently was arrested... one of the other troopers that showed up and I then spent the next five minutes comparing beamshots from his stinger and my JetBeam!

hahahahahaha

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not related to road rage, but has anyone shined a flashlight through their rear window to signal a tailgator to "back off?"

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're lucky the guy didn't have a gun. And being how drunk he was, I'm sure he wouldn't have hesitated to use that gun on you or your girlfriend.

No flashlight is bright enough to stop a bullet. Consider that next time you decide to be macho on the road.

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
You're lucky the guy didn't have a gun. And being how drunk he was, I'm sure he wouldn't have hesitated to use that gun on you or your girlfriend.

No flashlight is bright enough to stop a bullet. Consider that next time you decide to be macho on the road.

Why did I know someone was gonna say that... Hey, like I said I'm sure I could have handled it better myself.. but seriously do you think I would potentially put myself in a position to wind up with a flashlight in a gunfight... NO.. I am indeed licensed to and DO indeed carry my own firearm... However in traffic it should NEVER get to that level (although I realize it does on occasion).. I can only be responsible for myself and my family... had he chose that path while intoxicated and the aggressor, I'm 100% confident that I would still be here today to be typing this... can't say the same for him!

P.S.... please don't let this post become some COULD-A, SHOULD-A, WOULD-A argument... what happen is what happen.. not what-if...

Last edited:

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened

Great story. I am glad you prefaced it by saying it was not the most mature thing to do, but unlike ttran97 some of us are subject to road rage. I got a kick out of it and good for you for helping get another drunk off the road.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not related to road rage, but has anyone shined a flashlight through their rear window to signal a tailgator to "back off?"
Not a flashlight, but yes. I was in heavy traffic in the left lane. doing about 45 MPH on the interstate. This guy was so close behind me I couldn't see his headlights. He kept flashing his high beams and moving left to get them in my mirror. I had no where to go. traffic all around. So I had my brother climb in the back with a cigarette lighter powered spotlight. He lit him up for a split second. No more tailgater.

pbs357

Enlightened
Ok, let's not argue here guys. Everyone has their points and will walk this earth how they choose, and then live the consequences to their actions. I think Tran was just pointing out how in today's society, crazy stuff does happen for NO logical reason whatsoever sometimes. Just be safe. People have done nothing in reaction to what you did, but it's also true that people in the US have been senselessly killed for less. Apparently road rage has been an enormous portion of calls over the past 5-7 years according to the responding officer.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
No matter what happened or why, everyone made it home safe, including the other driver (although maybe not right away). The call for help was a very wise move.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, I've had more than my fair share of road rage. But you have to admit that things were escalated by the original poster. Besides playing around with the car, the original poster also screamed and cursed at the other guy.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's better to just let people be and not push back like that. Yes, many people have gotten killed for much less and I don't think it's worth it for Redline to lose his life nor his girlfriend's life over this. Would hate to hear about losing a fellow flashaholic over a traffic dispute.

I am glad that nobody got hurt in the end, though. What's wrong with suggesting that people try to remain calm and not get killed? :thinking:

Last edited:

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Having lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, I've had more than my fair share of road rage. But you have to admit that things were escalated by the original poster. Besides playing around with the car, the original poster also screamed and cursed at the other guy.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's better to just let people be and not push back like that. Yes, many people have gotten killed for much less and I don't think it's worth it for Redline to lose his life nor his girlfriend's life over this. Would hate to hear about losing a fellow flashaholic over a traffic dispute.

Thank you for the kind words.. but I will again say as I did in my original post, maybe I could/should have handled it differently but I did not that is what happen... and I do not feel I was "screaming" nor "playing around with the car"... I truly was doing all I could to avoid this guy... the only other things I could have done would be to run (bad idea to be speeding through streets with a crazy guy chasing you) or Stop (could create chance that he too stops and I'm forced into doing something I would rather not)... That having be said I'm glad that I "pushed back"... had I just laid down and let this guy do whatever the police would not have likely been involved in time and he may have eventually caused a bad accident while DUI... So although I may have been able to handle it differently, I didn't and I'm happy with the result.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the kind words.. but I will again say as I did in my original post, maybe I could/should have handled it differently but I did not that is what happen... and I do not feel I was "screaming" nor "playing around with the car"... I truly was doing all I could to avoid this guy... the only other things I could have done would be to run (bad idea to be speeding through streets with a crazy guy chasing you) or Stop (could create chance that he too stops and I'm forced into doing something I would rather not)... That having be said I'm glad that I "pushed back"... had I just laid down and let this guy do whatever the police would not have likely been involved in time and he may have eventually caused a bad accident while DUI... So although I may have been able to handle it differently, I didn't and I'm happy with the result.

Sorry for being a little harsh on you. I do agree with others that it was good that you called the police. The less people driving around drunk, the better. Cheers.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Nope, I never shine a light out the back window but I have been known to set my 120 lumen light to strobe and point it at the ceiling of MY car. The interior must look weird, and it seems to bring their attention back to their driving.

Daniel.

nbp

Flashaholic

Not a tailgater but someone who was following me with their brights on, yes. Even a couple flicks with 60 or 80 lumens is enough to get their attention and hopefully get them to click them off, without blinding them to the point of causing an accident. :poke: Works pretty good actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.