new Brinkmann 2D dimmable CREE. > output than Lowe's 2C, better dimming than Fenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brinkmann has this brand new 2D CREE dimmable flashlight sold at Target for $25. For those wanting to call around and locate it, the item # as shown on the receipt is
092080558 with a description of "3 watt"

4 bond wire CREE XR-E emitter.
4-step direct PWM dimming.
nice throwy beam with nice clean spill, but not as throwy as 2C.
brkcree.jpg

brkemitter.jpg

brkbeam.jpg

Ceiling bounce with fresh cells appeared to illuminate more than the Lowe's TF 2C CREE

There are not very many dimming flashlights on the market for a reasonable price. Dimming is controlled by +/- buttons just like the TV volume control and there's a separate power switch. Unlike Fenix, the dim setting is not lost in power cycling. It's held even if you remove the battery for a few seconds, meaning that if it's bumped, it won't change suddenly.

brkctrl.jpg

Only thing the Fenix have over this is the size.

I'll post more details in the review section.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: new Brinkmann 2D dimmable CREE. > output than Lowe's 2C, better dimming than Feni

:huh:

This light looks frickin' awesome!! I am extremely impressed, Brinkmann!!

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: new Brinkmann 2D dimmable CREE. > output than Lowe's 2C, better dimming than Feni

Any current draws at the various brightness levels? What kind of feedback do the buttons provide? What is the light made of? It's hard to tell in the pic.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sure looks kinda ugly though. :sick2:

Marduke

Flashaholic

The two at my local Target were silver backed emitters. I personally have never seen a silver backed Cree that was less than a Q5, which is great news for John Q. Public!!

Also, the packaged advertised variable from 3 watts to 0.5 watts.

L.E.D.

Enlightened

Quite impressive, I would have NEVER expected this from Brinkmann!!! This is so awesome to see their evolution from my first ever stock mass-produced LED light, the Brinkmann "Long Life" (2AA). TONS of gratitude to Handlobraesing for making the review!

Khaytsus

Enlightened

Oh look, another attempt to bash Fenix.

Seriously, Handlobraesing, do you spend all of your spare time looking for things that are "better than Fenix"? It's really sad.

Seriously, Handlobraesing, do you spend all of your spare time looking for things that are "better than Fenix"? It's really sad.

Fenix bashing, how? Making comparisons to products well talked about on the host board is nothing new. Fenix with dimming control and the Lowe's Task Force 2C are both very subjects of hot topics. Your allegation also implies "I'm "Lowe's Corporation bashing" too

L.E.D.

Enlightened

To each their own. I'm not much of a brand loyalist myself, such things are quite immature when insults and other things become involved IMHO. Coming down on someone who took the time to provide us with useful information, which may be important to someone interested in purchasing this light, is not really that cool either...

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol. So, comparing a new product to 2 well known alternatives is bashing the alternatives? Please....

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol. So, comparing a new product to 2 well known alternatives is bashing the alternatives? Please....

Read the OP's post history and you will see he's on a mission to tarnish Fenix's reputation. I don't see why he is comparing this new flashlight to a Fenix when it is nothing like a Fenix. He singled out Fenix when many other flashlights would fall under the same scenerio if he wants to talk about lights changing modes when bumped, etc. The only thing Fenix has on that light is size? Please, that's just a ridiculous statement.

I don't mind someone informing us on a new product, but he's obviously taking shots at Fenix on purpose to stir up trouble. He does it everytime he can.

carrot

Flashaholic

Interesting. However, I'm not a fan of PWM and generally speaking do not use lights that use it to control brightness. I am extremely sensitive to the flickering and it bothers me.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Read the OP's post history and you will see he's on a mission to tarnish Fenix's reputation. I don't see why he is comparing this new flashlight to a Fenix when it is nothing like a Fenix. He singled out Fenix when many other flashlights would fall under the same scenerio if he wants to talk about lights changing modes when bumped, etc. The only thing Fenix has on that light is size? Please, that's just a ridiculous statement.

I don't mind someone informing us on a new product, but he's obviously taking shots at Fenix on purpose to stir up trouble. He does it everytime he can.

+1x10^9

Lowe's 2C CREE, a CPF popular product, because of its performance for the price.

A Fenix, perhaps the only competitor item here with varible output. Before you make your case on "bashing" allegation, name some other $<75 CREE multiple output flashlights you perceive to be well known here.

Interesting. However, I'm not a fan of PWM and generally speaking do not use lights that use it to control brightness. I am extremely sensitive to the flickering and it bothers me.
That's understandable. This light has a higher PWM frequency than some other flashlights with PWM control, but the beam while in dimmed modes will behave like a stroboscope, which can be a problem if you're working with moving parts.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Lowe's 2C CREE, a CPF popular product, because of its performance for the price.

A Fenix, perhaps the only competitor item here with varible output. Before you make your case on "bashing" allegation, name some other $<75 CREE multiple output flashlights you perceive to be well known here.

And how did you arrive at this $75 price point, when the light in question is only $25? Also, it's very clear you're bashing certain brands. Your review of this light on another forum is even more outspoken about your hate for the "other" brand, and makes it VERY clear what your goals are.

The new Fenix crushing Brinkmann CREE LED digital flashlight

This thing is pretty amazing. It runs on D cells, but the only reason the Fenix can pull off a similar output is by requiring the use of NiMH, L91 lithium for the AA version for half decent performance or using proprietary batteries like CR123A.

This Brinkmann runs on D batteries, a type of battery commonly known to the general public.

Output is digitally regulated and controlled by + and - buttons, like TV volume and the setting sticks. When you turn it off, it turns on at last setting and holds the setting even when the battery is removed. Reading the manual is not necessary and the control is very self explanatory.

I find the process of half-pressing, manipulating the bezel half turn and the combination to be very complicated for a freaking flashlight. Fenix uses almost a full page to explain the usage. http://www.fenixtactical.com/manuals/fenix-p3d-ce-flashlight.pdf

The size advantage of Fenix isn't just because of the light. Being able to provide a power source is a big part of portable lighting and their AA version such as the L2D CE doesn't give a reasonable runtime without using extremely expensive L91 or rechargeable.

CR123A is completely proprietary solution in the mainstream market.

If you want to small and bright, regardless of reasonable runtime, magnesium flash bulb puts Fenix to a total shame.

AA alkaline simply don't have the ability to sustain the current demand for driving CREE LEDs and Brinkmann did a consumer friendly thing by spec'ing common batteries instead of requiring the use of rechargeable or L91.

I know I've said this before, but I'll soon begin writing (well, actually posting as I've already started writing) reviews for FlashlightNews....and this light will be one of the first few that I cover.
You're totally ignoring that any high output light needs the power behind it. The only reason that this Brinkman can have high output on alkalines is by using massive cells. If you go smaller, you have to use cells capable of low voltage sag. This is TOTALLY independent of brand. So why the hate for a brand which you admittedly do not own a single one of??

737mechanic

Newly Enlightened

I agree, I don't have a Fenix and personaly think they are overpriced for a chineese flashlight but to compare such a huge LED light to such a small LED light is ridiculous.

If I had a chance to have someone give me one or the other I would definitely go with the fenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.