EverLED: Flashlight that eliminates thermal probs.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I have found this craftsman 2D cell all aluminum focusable flashlight which has a great thermal path from everled to flashlight body. Let me illustrate with pictures: First pic is of the light with head removed:
flange.jpg

Next up is a picture showing the bottom of the bulb retainer. Notice how nicely the EverLED's flange mates up with the solid aluminum bulb retainer, which threads right to the flashlight body. Ingenious design, almost as if they intended it for PR based Luxeon bulbs!
flangebottom.jpg

And finally, a pair of beam shots, the first one shot at 25 foot range to my foundation wall at tightest focus, the second showing the focus opened up approx 75% at a distance of 12 feet from the wall>
feet25.jpg

feet12.jpg

I hope that this is informative for those of you concerned about thermal issues with the ForeverLED. Incidentally, the light was run for a little over an hour, and the bulb was cool to the touch. That's more than I can say for the plastic lights I've tried, Including, but not limited to the Tec 20, Tec 40, and the Dorcy Boss 4AA. The EverLED got too warm for my taste in those plastic lights. (By touchy feely only, no temp instruments avail.)

Ed

rdf

Newly Enlightened
e=mc2,
Seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Is this a current-production Craftsman light? If you have a photo of the light itself, could you please post (or email) the pic so I'll know what to look for at Sears?
Thanks for the info.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rdf said:
e=mc2,
Seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Is this a current-production Craftsman light? If you have a photo of the light itself, could you please post (or email) the pic so I'll know what to look for at Sears?
Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto that! Please ID the light!

Illuminated

Enlightened
e=mc2,

That lamp holder and the way the Sears battery tube looks appears to be *almost* identical to the way Dorcy Cool Blue/LEDCorp our best Aluminum is made...humm...

Thanks for the photos/info! Sears also makes that in a 3D don't they?

John

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a 3D version of this light today. I'll play around with it briefly, but I don't think I'm going to keep it. I like the fact that the light has a battery indicator light on it and built in heatsink, but overall quality is sub-par compared to that of a mag. It is the quickest and easiest solution for using an EverLed where heat build-up may be a concern. Even though I picked up a 3D, a 2D might be a better choice. You would have the option of running 2d's or converting to 3c's. Not a bad light, but not the quality I was hoping for.

Hemingray

Enlightened
There is another similar light made by "Great Neck" has a similar "heatsink" on the bulb end. 3D size. I modded one with a blue luxeon star/o and a 3.3 ohm 2W resistor in series.
I filled the bulb hole with an aluminum slug, and used Arctic Silver Epoxy to mount the star/o. Body is blue anodised.

This light was bought at a local VIP autoparts store, it was in a package with a 2AA aluminum light, and 3D, and 2 AA cheap carbozink batteries. $12 for the whole thing. Construction is medium crude, the 3D was decent, the 2AA uses a similar bulb to the 2AA maglite, the rubber push switch is really flakey on the 2AA, decent on the 3D.

Made In China, decent for the cost. I've seen the same set of lights in other places for up to $29, which is more than a similar Maglite set, so shop around carefully.

/ed B in NH