Just ordered myself a Fenix P3D Q5...

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
... and wanted to say a big thanks to all at CPF, you lot have finally got me to admit that I AM really a bit of a flashaholic! I've been lurking here for a while and finally joined.

The Fenix is going to be my new EDC flashlight (replacing a "no name" 3W Luxeon emitter equipped torch, which replaced a 1.5W no name LED torch, which replaced a 2AA maglite).

Can't wait for it to arrive :twothumbs (although I think that having admitted that I am really a flashaholic, my wallet is not going to thank me as I read all the reviews and stuff here! Too much temptation :broke:)

Anyway, here I am!

Dave
(also on britishblades forum with the same username, PM me if you're on there too!)

pbs357

Enlightened
Enjoy it and welcome to the club! I kept away from Fenix just because I never had the chance to check one out in person. Once I took the plunge I found the user interface to be excellent for an EDC or utility/general use light. You can turn ON to full output, or leave it in user mode, and start off in the lowest setting - with a light tap to increase output to the next mode. Now the proud owner of a P3D Q5 and P2D Q5, E0 and probably soon a LOD Q4 and E01 I'm sure!

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the friendly welcome guys, can't wait for it to arrive.

Mrs TallNHairyDave's comment was "Oh no, NOT another torch. What was wrong with the last one?" I was able to mollify her though - "well, you know you complain that the last one was too bright when we're out for a walk? This one has adjustable brightness" :laughing:

pbs357

Enlightened

Mrs TallNHairyDave's comment was "Oh no, NOT another torch. What was wrong with the last one?" I was able to mollify her though - "well, you know you complain that the last one was too bright when we're out for a walk? This one has adjustable brightness" :laughing:

Bingo! Sounds like you got the gameplan ready to go! Good job :thumbsup:

Green Lantern

Newly Enlightened

Blasphemy!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another hello. This one from the UK. I lived most my life in London/Bromley but now I'm a bit further over in Bracknell.
Good thing about the Fenix lights, the LEDs get better but the lights often stay looking the same. This means you can upgrade to a new one without her even noticing.
:sssh:

You are really going to like the Fenix. If you find yourself really getting into torches, check out the Orb range made by Rob in the UK. They are really nice.

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
Welcome,

Enjoy your new light

Another hello. This one from the UK. I lived most my life in London/Bromley but now I'm a bit further over in Bracknell.
Good thing about the Fenix lights, the LEDs get better but the lights often stay looking the same. This means you can upgrade to a new one without her even noticing.
:sssh:

You are really going to like the Fenix. If you find yourself really getting into torches, check out the Orb range made by Rob in the UK. They are really nice.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

It's arrived, and it's awesome.

I still can't believe how bright "turbo" mode is!

Mrs TallNHairyDave approved of the new light :faint: although she ranked turbo mode as "A bit excessive" and strobe got a "DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!"

Rather amusingly, did a beam comparison vs my old EDC light (no-name 3 Watt Luxeon) that she always complained as being "too bright" when we were out in dark countryside, and the Fenix on lowest power is about the same output :laughing:

Thanks for the pointer towards the Orb lights Jay. Just seen one and it's gorgeous.

Only one question about the Fenix, why did they make the slip-on light diffuser (purchased so it can be used as a room light in powercuts or a tent light when camping) so that the torch looks like a *ahem* "personal massager" when it's fitted??? :crackup:

Last edited:

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
I might be able to convert Mrs TallNHairyDave to the way of the bright light after all... :twothumbs This bodes well for my HID plans!

Just ordered her a Fenix L0D Q4...

Stainz

Enlightened
I bought the 4 in 1 ('ppack' - P2D/L1D combo - one Q5 Premium head) kit that puts out 180 L on one CR123 in turbo mode - for an hour or so. I think you can hear the cell sizzle. It came with a sheath, the o-rings, etc, a battery cover, and that diffuser. My wife wanted one of those diffusers, too - but oddly didn't carry which light...

Welcome to the lunacy here. These things aren't 'torches' anymore - they are like lasers!

Stainz