My computer virus protection is going to expire

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Hi,as the title says it's going to expire.I have Kaspersky internet security now(it was free last year after rebate at Staples)before that I had Norton anti viruse and Webroot.I like Kasperskys better than the previous 2(seems to work better).Now my question is what to get now,I am not very computor savy,but if you could explain your recomendations to me that would be great.I would also like to go as cheap as posible,but with adequite to excellent security for the internet.All help would be greatly apreciated.Thanks,Joe.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used avast for a couple of years without problem. Right now I use symantec corporate edition, which offer lifetime update. If you have any friend work in university/company you can probably bug them to get you a copy.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nothing wrong with AVG or Avast at all.

I HATE Norton/Symantec, not crazy about McAfee either. I'm just not comfortable with all the hooks they stash away all over your hard drive.

Here's a good "Top Ten" comparison to check out...click on individual products for additional applicable info.

Personally I've used ZoneAlarm's Security Suite for years (their free firewall is good too). They're using Kaspersky's virus scanning engine and you get their top rated firewall as well.

I'm sending a PM your way...

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used AVG for several years without problems after giving up on Avast which did give me problems. This is on a PIII running XP.

I've use the free Zone Alarm firewall for all that time.

Greg

mechBgon

Enlightened
I'd recommend AntiVir PE Classic instead of AVG or Avast, because AntiVir has considerably better detection rates than AVG or Avast, and what's the point of antivirus software...? Oh yeah, to detect malware. :thumbsup:

One of the trade-offs is that AntiVir PE Classic (which is free) will generate one pop-up a day (usually pointing out the added features of the Premium version, which is US$27). I'd put AntiVir right up there with Kaspersky-powered products for malware detection.

However, it's wise to make antivirus just one layer in your defensive strategy. Further Windows security tips for the modern age: http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html :tinfoil:

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you used and liked Kasperskys , why change? It seems to have done well for you and you already understand it. It's often easier to renew the subscription than it is to un-install and start over.

Daniel

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
AVG from grisoft is what I use on every computer in my household. It is lightweight, comprehensive and unintrusive. When I had Norton, I remember it updating only twice a week, leaving a 3-4 day gap for modern infections to penetrate. AVG updates daily, providing a much smaller window of opportunity for threats to take advantage of.

jezzyp

Enlightened
Get AVG internet security, version 8 has just been released. The free one is for viruses only and does not stop trojans and spyware so I would recommend spending the $$ for the full product - You will be glad you did.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good link is
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Scroll down to other security forums. Comodo Pro is recommended as a very good free firewall. I like the free version of superantispyware. Doesn't give real time protection but I run a scan with it once a week.

So on my second computer which I only use the free apps, I personally use AVG, Comodo Pro and Super antispyware.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have had excellent luck with Avast. Completely free, and I have not had a single virus on any of the computers I have put it on since I started using it. (3+ years and counting, now 10 computers).

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input!I am leaning towards Zone Alarm at the moment,am I leaning the right way?Will I have to delete the Kaspersky before I install this?Like I said in the original post,I am not very computor savy.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to drop Norton because it was too big and causing problems. I switched to ESET's NOD32, which is much smaller and very effective. I think it's one of the fastest to respond to new threats. Not free, however.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I've used ZoneAlarm's Security Suite for years (their free firewall is good too). They're using Kaspersky's virus scanning engine and you get their top rated firewall as well.

That's what I used too, until I actually had a question on renewal (and ready to send them another $50), and found out there was absolutely no customer support. Even as a paid subscriber (pro edition, which is their highest at the time), they don't even offer an email to send my question to, and I'd have to pay again to submit a question. It pissed me off so much I uninstalled it right away and swear won't ever give them another cent again.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the trade-offs is that AntiVir PE Classic (which is free) will generate one pop-up a day (usually pointing out the added features of the Premium version, which is US$27).
The free Super antispyware does the same when logging in as Adm.

jezzyp

Enlightened
I have found that norton slowed my system down.
I ditched it when I got a very nasty Trojan infection that NIS 2006 failed to detect and could not remove. I had to use another computer to download a removal tool. Start windows in safe mode and then run the removal tool.
I now use the full AVG package - my system runs faster, it updates daily and I have a lot more confidence in it.

goldenlight

Enlightened

I've been using AVG free for 3 years now. My only complaint is that when I boot up the computer, I have to manually check for updates. It wastes about 30 seconds each day. Depending on your computer, this can be run while the computer is still booting up. I do that if I'm sitting waiting for the computer to boot up.

But the AVG antivirus software caught a virus that I brought home on a thumb drive from work, where we have Norton/Symantic. Free software isbetter than one of the 'big names' in antivirus software? I guess so.

Obviously, I like it.