OLIGHT T20 MILITARY - OPERATION OF

dw65

Newly Enlightened
The Olight T20 Military has a tail cap with momentary on with partial depression and constant on with full depression. The description says that the power levels and modes are selected with a twist of the bezel. I want to be able to preset the mode and use the momentary switch to activate. Does anyone have one of these or can you tell me if I can:

1. Preset to full power and use momentary switch

2. Preset to strobe mode and use momentary switch

I use this type of light for low light/dark handgun competition.

Thank you

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
Yes to both.

I have both the T20-M and a P3D Q5. Both are great lights, and I can't decide which I like better.

The P3D has the advantage that it can switch modes faster, as well as one handed. It always comes on in low (in L-M-H-SOS mode), which is useful in most cases, as it's generally enough light for ~80% of what you (or at least I) may want an EDC for. A couple of light presses on the switch changes modes, but sometimes you 'miss' and have to cycle around again to get the mode you want. This is especially true if you're using the light in a cigar hold and trying to manipulate the switch by pressing it into your palm, but since you'll be in Max/Turbo mode (w/ the head turned all the way down) in a tactical situation, this may not be a critical issue, since you're only switching between the 2 modes.

On the other hand, the T20 has the memory of staying in ANY mode you want for when it's turned on (incl. momentary on), but is more difficult to switch modes because of the twist (especially one-handed, like if you have a gun in your other hand). The beam on the T20 seems a little more focused than the P3D, which I kinda prefer, but it's not that big a thing, just a personal preference, and the tube has a ring for a cigar hold, which may be more desirable in a tactical situation The switch on the T20 is a little more prominent than the P3D, making momentary activation by pressing the switch into the palm of your hand in a cigar hold easier. The one thing I'm not sure I like on the T20 is the momentary on. I think a momentary off (reverse clickie?) would be better, so if you are using it with a gun, once you've lit your target you won't have to worry about maintaining pressure on the switch (or clicking it) to keep the light on while firing. The T20 w/ the clip attached is also less apt to roll, if that's a consideration for you.

More info than you probably wanted, but I've been meaning to post my comparison of these two lights and figured this was as good a place as any. A reverse clickie in the T20 would make it just about the perfect tactical light, but you need to remember to leave it in 'high' or 'strobe' if you expect to use it in as a 'surprise' in a tactical situation. OTOH, the P3D is a little shorter and narrower (w/o the clip and grip ring), and may be a good tac light with the tactical body from the Fenix-Store.com (for an extra $50), but there'll still be some considerations with the ergonomics and switch if you're using a cigar hold, so it's more suited to a 'general' EDC light than a 'tactical'-oriented EDC.

After carrying each for a few weeks, I think I'm going to stick with the T20 as my primary carry, with maybe a P2D and/or L0D backup and the P3D as a bedside / emergency kit light (especially since you can use the red & white diffusers with the P3D to create a signal light or candle).

dw65

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your comparison. I looked at the P3D, but did not like the constant on type switch. I currently use a Surefire Z2 or E2e for shooting. I need the momentary type switch to turn the light on briefly to acquire targets and shoot, but light is off during reloads and movement.

I was looking at the Wolf Eye Q5 2 mode drop-in for my Z2, but did not like the fact that a double click on the switch changed modes. I decided to order a Q5 single mode for my Z2 and find another light with the strobe feature. Insight has the Typhoon 2 with the operation I desire using a selector switch, but the cheapest I could find one was $160 plus shipping. Your review shows that the Olight will also meet my needs at less than 1/2 the price.

I use the Harries (?) technique to hold the light during shooting with the left thumb controlling the light, so the Olight switch should not be a problem.

I have ordered the Olight and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Thanks again for your review.

Richard

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
I need the momentary type switch to turn the light on briefly to acquire targets and shoot, but light is off during reloads and movement.

Richard

I haven't actually done much shooting with a light, but out of curiosity, do you hold your current light's momentary switch while actually shooting (vs clicking it on)? If so, I would think that the recoil of the handgun would be enough to possibly bump my thumb off the the switch, obviously turning off the light. No?

dw65

Newly Enlightened
The recoil of the gun is absorbed by the right hand, while the light is controlled by the left. The momentary switch is held down only during target acquisition and shooting. The idea is to blind your 'target' and give it very little time to react to your position. A constant on light exposes you to fire from the 'target'. We shoot in conditions as close to real life and still keep it safe. The good guys and bad guys are mixed together and you are suppose to identify and shoot only the bad ones.

I want to try the strobe because it has a disorienting effect on people. We have used police car strobes over head and behind the shooters and even very good shooters have trouble hitting the targets with them activated. Looking into a strobe and trying to hit a target should be interesting.

Thanks again for your input.

Richard

gunga

Flashaholic
I had a T20-M briefly. It was a nice light. If you want to take advantage of potential with rechargables, get yourself an AW protected 17670. Long runtime and free lumens!

I think it's a lot nicer than a P3D, although the beam is a lot "spottier". That is personal choice depending on what you want in a beam.

dw65

Newly Enlightened
I received the Olight T20 Military today and I'm delighted with it. It functions as I want and makes my SF E2e look like a wimp. I was going to convert my E2 to a led head, but this light out performs the E2 and is the same size except 3/8" longer. The Olight is cheaper than the conversion head for the E2 and has the strobe mode that I wanted.

Richard

fasuto

Enlightened
The T20 looks very good, but may be for your pourposes you should take a look at the tomahawk.
I belive is easy to switch the modes with one hand
:devil:

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
I received the Olight T20 Military today and I'm delighted with it. It functions as I want and makes my SF E2e look like a wimp. I was going to convert my E2 to a led head, but this light out performs the E2 and is the same size except 3/8" longer. The Olight is cheaper than the conversion head for the E2 and has the strobe mode that I wanted.

Richard

Congrats. I was showing off my lights (Olight T20, Fenix TK10, P3D, P1D, & LOD) to a Fedral LEO friend last night, and he most impressed with the T20 (followed closely by the Fenix L0D) out of all of them because of the memory and the momentary on switch, but he did say he liked the form factor of his e2 w/ clip (the snap-on clip of the T20 is a bit flimsy) a bit better as a pocket-able light.