What about holsters?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how does one go about carrying a light? Specificaly a Surefire 6P, bezel-down?

Right now I've got a Rip-Offs minitool holster, repurposed into an open-top bezel-up holster.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concealco makes great leather holsters. Bezel down. 6P is no problem.
They are well priced (around $20.00) and made to order so they sometimes take a few weeks.

They even marked mine with my initials (free)

Yaesumofo
consealco2cropsm.jpg

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those aren't holsters....

joke7bm.jpg

Shot at 2006-06-18

Now THAT's a holster....:laughing::laughing:...

[Sorry...late at night...couldn't resist....won't happen again...:shakehead]

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Unfortunately most manufacturers never consider how their products will be carried and subsequently don't take into account how the aesthetics of a light can compromise what sort of holster it can fit in.

Most (but not all) nylon holsters are neither durable or easy to get the light into or out of in a hurry. Rigid plastic holsters are seldom supplied by manufacturers and the third party ones are usually a poor compromise in form or functionality.

Of course I accept the argument that some will be happy carrying a light in a trouser pocket or jacket. I can also see that some may require a protective type cover because they value their purchase and want to minimize unnecessary wear. However, many of the lights aimed at the LEO and military seem to defy logic in how they can be carried and deployed easily.

IMHO,Surefire got reasonably close to a good solution with the V70. However,this has drawbacks too. The V70 allows bezel up or down carry but it can't be incanted. It also isn't easily detached from a duty belt because it has a solid belt loop. If the V70 had incorporated a Tek-Lok style attachment and allowed incanted carry for varying styles of carry it would (IMHO) be nearly perfect.

Blackhawk tried to accommodate the above ideas with their plastic Gladius holster but made the holster too bulky and have had issues with the plastic arms loosing tension over time. They also tried to provide additional security for safely carrying the Gladius by using a rubber strap. This turned into a bit of a joke as the strap quickly broke or became lost. It also failed in ensuring that your Gladius wasn't lost by inadvertent deployment from the holster when involved in physically demanding environments.

Of course plastic does have its limitations and most rigid holsters that I've seen may have problems in extremely cold environments.

I personally think that metal clips are of dubious use. Why? Quite simply because most are a compromise and offer either something that is too short or too long for the belt or pocket they will be used with. Quite often the clip only allows the light to be carried in a bezel up and is impossible to adjust for an alternative carry. Surefire's E1b does have a great pocket clip which allows bezel up or down carry but lacks great grip. *And yes I've adjusted mine with pliers!*

Although I've not seen it for sale the plastic holster which First-Light are bringing to market for their Tomahawk flashlight appears (from the photo's I've seen) to offer a reasonably integrated solution for holstering. Whether it is as effective or easy to use as it appears is a question that still awaits an answer.

Next time you buy a flashlight (particularly if you are a LEO or military type) ask yourself what sort of holster does the manufacturer offer or suggest with their light? Does it allow you the option of how you can carry it securely and yet allow easy deployment and re-holstering easily? My thoughts are that in the majority of cases the carry options are either very limited or non-existent which is a shame isn't it?

Doug

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great topic. Now that I've got my lanyard and mini split-rings for my flashlights, I've been thinking about using the OEM holster or 3rd party.

I've never thought about it before, and I always carried my lights in my pocket or hanging via lanyard from wrist or neck. Maybe a nice holster that does not add a lot of bulk, allows for quick removal and replacement would be great to reduce the wear and tear on the lights.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
USM, your rig looks like a variation of this one from Blade Tech (on the left). I don't think BT makes this specific model anymore. The one on the right is a LITE-RAC from Kytac.

A good aspect of these clip-on designs is that the rig does not dip below the beltline. Thus, you can wear a relatively short outer garment for concealed carry by also using an inside the waistband (IWB) holster for your pistol.

I also have a SureFire V70. It is huge and I never use it. My bat belt is already full enough -- IWB, spare mag pouch, and flashlight.

SureFire6Pand6ZinKydexscabbards.jpg

BladeTechLandKytacRSureFirescabb-1.jpg

BladeTechLandKytacRSureFirescabbard.jpg

Last edited:

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately most manufacturers never consider how their products will be carried and subsequently don't take into account how the aesthetics of a light can compromise what sort of holster it can fit in.

Most (but not all) nylon holsters are neither durable or easy to get the light into or out of in a hurry. Rigid plastic holsters are seldom supplied by manufacturers and the third party ones are usually a poor compromise in form or functionality.

Of course I accept the argument that some will be happy carrying a light in a trouser pocket or jacket. I can also see that some may require a protective type cover because they value their purchase and want to minimize unnecessary wear. However, many of the lights aimed at the LEO and military seem to defy logic in how they can be carried and deployed easily.

IMHO,Surefire got reasonably close to a good solution with the V70. However,this has drawbacks too. The V70 allows bezel up or down carry but it can't be incanted. It also isn't easily detached from a duty belt because it has a solid belt loop. If the V70 had incorporated a Tek-Lok style attachment and allowed incanted carry for varying styles of carry it would (IMHO) be nearly perfect.

Blackhawk tried to accommodate the above ideas with their plastic Gladius holster but made the holster too bulky and have had issues with the plastic arms loosing tension over time. They also tried to provide additional security for safely carrying the Gladius by using a rubber strap. This turned into a bit of a joke as the strap quickly broke or became lost. It also failed in ensuring that your Gladius wasn't lost by inadvertent deployment from the holster when involved in physically demanding environments.

Of course plastic does have its limitations and most rigid holsters that I've seen may have problems in extremely cold environments.

I personally think that metal clips are of dubious use. Why? Quite simply because most are a compromise and offer either something that is too short or too long for the belt or pocket they will be used with. Quite often the clip only allows the light to be carried in a bezel up and is impossible to adjust for an alternative carry. Surefire's E1b does have a great pocket clip which allows bezel up or down carry but lacks great grip. *And yes I've adjusted mine with pliers!*

Although I've not seen it for sale the plastic holster which First-Light are bringing to market for their Tomahawk flashlight appears (from the photo's I've seen) to offer a reasonably integrated solution for holstering. Whether it is as effective or easy to use as it appears is a question that still awaits an answer.

Next time you buy a flashlight (particularly if you are a LEO or military type) ask yourself what sort of holster does the manufacturer offer or suggest with their light? Does it allow you the option of how you can carry it securely and yet allow easy deployment and re-holstering easily? My thoughts are that in the majority of cases the carry options are either very limited or non-existent which is a shame isn't it?

Doug

What a perfect post! :)

qarawol

Enlightened
I never could find the right holster so I had to make them myself. As stated, many were not able to be canted, had a fixed loop, tail too high (poking the side) , etc.

Here is one I made for the Extreme II. I can't find my pic of the 6P I made though almost the same size.

With clip for vertical OR horizontal and anywhere in between...
How many leather holsters have you seen where the back of the holster is THINNER then the Flashlight itself?

100_9369_a.jpg

100_9370_a.jpg

Fixed loop option (the belt loop can be placed anywhere along the backing and locked in place to fit your height needs...

VerticalOnlya.jpg

Universal backing for a super solid carry - Horizontal, canted or vertical...

ExtremeIIa.jpg

ExtremeII.jpg

Once I find the perfect angle, height, clip or no clip, etc. I can make one fixed that holds it in the way needed. Though the Universal backing will keep my options open should I decide to change on the fly. And it can carry up to THREE items...

101_4510.jpg

Njoy...

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
qarawol, very nice work. I suspect a lot of :paypal: notices. :D

I usually pocket carry, but when I'm hiking or camping, the Maxpedition Single Sheath 4" is fantastic. I'm used to carrying my Gerber multitool in a horizontal carry, it's just more intuitive and requires less contortion to reach back and pull it forward than to pull something up. The Maxpedition sheath allows this also. It hugs my Bianchi belt nicely, and doesnt jab me when I sit down. Horizontal carry for the win. :)

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Concealco makes great leather holsters. Bezel down. 6P is no problem.
They are well priced (around $20.00) and made to order so they sometimes take a few weeks.

They even marked mine with my initials (free)

Yaesumofo
consealco2cropsm.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much for posting that site, I will be buying a holster for my e2e tomorrow. Thanks again