Turbohead Vs. Malkoff

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, inquring minds want to know: what throws better - a Surefire KT-1 turbohead at 65 lumens, or a Malkoff M60 at 260 lumens, crappier spectrum, and more flood.

Have we reached the point that simply throwing more photons in that general direction is more effective? (If it is, and you don't care about color rendition, it's also more efficient - 60 minutes vs. 90 minutes advertised runtime, and I trust Surefire and Gene Malkoff on that)

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
So, inquring minds want to know: what throws better - a Surefire KT-1 turbohead at 65 lumens, or a Malkoff M60 at 260 lumens, crappier spectrum, and more flood.

Have we reached the point that simply throwing more photons in that general direction is more effective? (If it is, and you don't care about color rendition, it's also more efficient - 60 minutes vs. 90 minutes advertised runtime, and I trust Surefire and Gene Malkoff on that)

SureFire rarely disappoints me, in the case of the Turbohead they did...
I had the KT2-BK for my 9P and after a month of use I sent it back to SureFire for a refund... It just didn't produce results that fit my needs... I am sure under some applications it would be a must... but for me I wasn't impressed... YMMV

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
...what throws better - a Surefire KT-1...or a Malkoff M60
Although I have never run the KT-1 with an N1, I would vote the KT-1 + N1 combination. However, the KT-1 can also house the MN16, MN20 and MN21 out of a LeefBody C-C 2x18650, as well as the MN60 and MN61 out of a LeefBody C-C 3x18650. Any of those configurations will change your mind on how well the KT-1 is able to throw compared to the D26 M60.

Have we reached the point that simply throwing more photons in that general direction is more effective?
Depends on your intended use. I favor throw over spill in nearly all applications in which I use a flashlight.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intend to use it on a 2x123a 6p body, though I refuse to rule out adding a Detonator at some point in time. This will be my bump-in-the-night flashlight, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the turbohead will live in a spares box unless I know I'll need it.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
By "bump in the night", do you mean you'll be using the light to look at things inside or outside of the house?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intend to use it on a 2x123a 6p body, though I refuse to rule out adding a Detonator at some point in time. This will be my bump-in-the-night flashlight, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the turbohead will live in a spares box unless I know I'll need it.

Unless the bump in the night is outside, and quite far away, I would advise against the 6P and KT1 setup. Indoors it won't illuminate very much due to the tight focus. In my opinion, a "bump in the night" light either needs to go for sheer output (M6) or a bright, floody beam (L2, L4 etc). It can be quite hard to investigate something with only a tight focus of light at your disposal.

Regards,
Tempest

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeyGrip, if I knew that...

Tempest, I think that's the answer I'm looking for. Thank you!

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's really not even close...the Malkoff out throws the KT1 with any bulb in it.

I comes down to the reflector and the mag is superior in this regard. Even if the KT1 has a smooth reflector, its shallow depth wouldn't be ideal for throw.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the comparison I was trying to make. If the Malkoff out-throws the KT-1, while simultaneously having better flood/spill and better runtime, and costing about as much as three replacement P60 lamps...

Well, it's no wonder I pulled the trigger on one this afternoon.