Fenix E01 or L0D CE Q4 for a 21st?

Yapo

Enlightened
Hey all, i've got a, not so long known, friend's 21st coming up in about a month...was wondering which you all think would be better for a gift to a nonflashaholic... the E01 or L0D Q4?

I know that no one has the E01 yet but do you think the long(10hrs is it?) runtime on alkalines and decent 10 lumen output would be better or the brighter, very short runtime on high, multimode L0D be more impressive?

If he uses the impressive high mode on L0D alot then he'll be chewing threw AAA's pretty fast which i'm afraid of...but as for the E01 the battery should virtually last forever... Although he has commented on my L0D RB80 being "cool" when my brother was playing around with the modes.

Neither light comes with a lobster claw keychain clip do they? so i'll probably get one for the E01 since its so cheap or would you think the E01 is too cheap for a 21st b'day gift?

Hopefully the E01 is available within the next 2 weeks or else it'll be the L0D or would you recommend another light at the same price or less shipped?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does he have rechargable aaa batts? If not I would go with the E01.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Also would he carry something AA sized?

If he has rechargeable AAAs, you can probably get him the L0D-CE Q4.

The E01 will be simpler and last longer on a normal AAA though.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'd say E01 if it ships in time for you. It's non-flashaholic proof. It doesn't need special batteries, it doesn't have confusing modes, and is plenty bright.

Yapo

Enlightened
i doubt he'd have rechargables...i dont know much people who uses rechargables other then for cameras and other electronics but most things these days use their own sized li-ion batteries and theres not really a size limit but i just thought a AAA sized light would be nice on keys but i guess a AA light could work as well but i dont know if it would get carried/used less...

E01 sounds to be the way to go but all comments and suggestions are still welcome...

Last edited:

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I would probably go with the E01 if I needed to save money. But if you have the money spring for the LOD. My wife is NOT a flashoholic but she loves hers. 99% of the time she just uses medium (first setting) and it takes her a while to go through a battery. In fact I think it's about one battery every three months. Buy him a four pack and he's set for a while. Besides there is that cool factor with the other modes....

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Since he has "seen the light" of your L0D, he won't be super-impressed with the E01 (as nice as it is for what it is). Get him the new L0D and a set of rechargeable batteries.

Or if you really want to blow him away, get him a set of 10440 rechargeable lithiums.

I was goofing around with a campus police officer I sometimes say hello to and asked him about his flashlight. He pulled out his SureFire and showed me how bright it was. I told him all I had was this little AAA battery keychain light. It was pretty funny when I turned the LOD on high mode with the 10440 battery and it was 3x as bright as his duty light. . . .

Marduke

Flashaholic
Since he has "seen the light" of your L0D, he won't be super-impressed with the E01 (as nice as it is for what it is). Get him the new L0D and a set of rechargeable batteries.

Or if you really want to blow him away, get him a set of 10440 rechargeable lithiums.

I was goofing around with a campus police officer I sometimes say hello to and asked him about his flashlight. He pulled out his SureFire and showed me how bright it was. I told him all I had was this little AAA battery keychain light. It was pretty funny when I turned the LOD on high mode with the 10440 battery and it was 3x as bright as his duty light. . . .

Never NEVER give a flashlight noob li-ion cells for a light, especially unprotected cells in a light which is not designed for them and you MUST have discipline to use them in it. That's 3 no-no's all in one go.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I he likes the L0d, I would get him the L0d and a set of Sanyo rechargable batteries/charger. It'll last him forever. The L0d is much brighter and more fun to play around with.

If you don't think he has the discipline to recharge the batteries, the E01 would be perfect. Sometimes simplicity is a good thing.

Illum

Flashaholic

Forget the rechargeables and include a pack of 4xL92s :nana:
you can't teach a guy to use rechargeables, he has to find the usefulness on his own. well, standard rechargeable sure but I won't trust any non-flashaholic to 10440s. If something goes wrong he'll have some pretty serious health problems and he will come back and bite you with it:ohgeez:

Last edited:
If you can't get the Fenix E01 in time Peak LED Solutions seems to have some reasonably priced lights like the Kilimanjaro, Matterhorn, and Shasta.

Yapo

Enlightened
well the L0D + rechargables is probably out of my budget and with rechargables comes a charger as well but i was thinking a pair of alkalines would be a must(you cant give anyone a light without batteries lol)... he's seen the light from my P1D CE as well although he probably doesnt know what lights coming from what since i dont always use the L0D...

and also i think that most people dont realise how dim their incan flashlights really are untill they compare it next to ours and also the reality of runtimes...a couple hours dont sound very long to them because unregulated incans run for hours but thats mostly at <50% output.
And then theres the price...if i told anyone what i paid for my Fenix's they'd probly wonder why i wasted so much on a little flashlight...

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the LOD and tell him to always buy energizer E2 lithiums "better runtime" 1hour high 4 hours med 9 hours low , E2 are available everywhere just like duracell alks , buy him the 4 pack to start off and he should be good for more than a year depending on use

Yapo

Enlightened
get the LOD and tell him to always buy energizer E2 lithiums "better runtime" 1hour high 4 hours med 9 hours low , E2 are available everywhere just like duracell alks , buy him the 4 pack to start off and he should be good for more than a year depending on use

I guess that could also work...

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
I have the E01 coming when they arrive here, but I just got the L0D, and I think it is pretty amazing that you can get so much light out of such a little light. If this person is worth the investment in the L0D I think he'd love it with a set of Energizer lithiums over the E01.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could get 3 E01 for the price of 1 LOD...make a few other freinds happy...my new best buddy:naughty: