4100 Lumen 300 dollar.. Halogen!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxa beam

Banned
There's been a thread on this before, but a CPF member let Wicked use his design to make this thing.
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Wicked_Lights-74-0.html
The beamshot of it shining off the roof makes it look a lot weaker than 4100 lumens, either that or it's almost entirely flood, and I just can't see a Halogen bulb and 300 dollar flashlight being this bright, not for any sustained period, anyhow.

Views?

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
The light was mentioned in the current Popular Mechanics, May '08, p. 32.
"The battery burned almost as readily as the paper--it was smoking and dead in just minutes, an outcome our tester called "disturbing" and "dangerous.""

maxa beam

Banned
I figured. But I couldn't see them manufacturing a light without testing such stuff. Must be a fluke.

tussery

Enlightened
I would more than likely say it is 4100 bulb lumens, the current consensus on CPF is that about 66% of that actually makes it out the front of the light. So that may be your answer of why it doesn't look like 4100 lumens.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
I figured. But I couldn't see them manufacturing a light without testing such stuff. Must be a fluke.

The wicked "torch" is marketed as a toy to cook eggs, burn paper, matches etc... They are not really stressing it as a useful illumination tool...
You can get a butane torch to do the same thing for $10

Just as a side note: wicked over estimates the output of their lasers too... I have had pretty good luck with Nova Lasers...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Mac's Mag623 mod commercialized. :whistle:

which in turn was Wiley's work commercialized if I remember correctly. If there were others before him I apologize but that's who I remember to be among the first ones to be looking at 100w projector bulbs and go, "hmmm......."

After reading Wilkey's posts I was building 100w Maglites with 64623 with 14.4v RC car packs in 2005, at the time at least a few others already did he same(bwaites, etc) Nothing new there. Mine ran for 12 minutes before needing charge, never smoked or anything, but that was a 20-amp rated rocker switch that I rigged up to fit the 3D maglite. The best result was with a 11-cell AA pack with a 63128, the beam was simply beautiful, too bad the filament didn't like over drive and regulation circuits were around then. Rerated a 14.4v pack drove the light at somewhere around 150+ watt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.