Surefire L4 replacement? Was the L4 designed to be a floodlight?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the L4 designed as a flood light or was that shallow reflector a result of cramming the Lux V into a standard E series sized head?

ja10

Enlightened
I don't think that any SF light is the way it is by accident. Surefire is usually not the first manufacturer to bring a new LED to the market, and that is certainly not because they are last in line to get them. From what I gather here, they test and test and test until they have a light that meets their specifications exactly. I have no doubt that if the L4 did not perform as initially designed, everything would have been changed to make it work. If you look at their lineup, there is no shortage of unique heads, bodies, and tail caps to make each light do exactly what it was designed to do.

UWAK

Enlightened
One thing I hate about my self is I just sold my L4. And now I'm foolishly lookin' for another replacement for my L4. I haven't found the answers yet.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the L4 designed as a flood light or was that shallow reflector a result of cramming the Lux V into a standard E series sized head?

Only PK knows for sure... but I'm guessing it just worked out that way because they stuffed the Lux V into the E series head.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only reason I'm asking is that I hope there will be another "modern" L4 equivalent
Hoping for the same, exact same beam pattern with improved runtime. :thumbsup:

Did buy 2 extra L4's, just in case it goes away and isn't replaced. :(

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4 replacement = Surefire L2

Hardly. L2 is much longer than L4 (more than 1 inch longer). Besides, it doesn't support 17670 battery. I don't know if the latest L2 changed its light pattern or not, the first version of L2 is very different from L4 if my memory serves me right.

Alan

Greg_Jones

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Alan about the length of the L2. I would love the have the high/low beam of the L2 in my L4, but I'm not willing to carry an extra 1+ inch of length to get it. For me personally, the A2 is right at maximum length for a light in the 1" bezel family from SureFire.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could always have Milkyspit change out the emitter and driver circuit for a pretty reasonable price, and then you would have a much higher output, multi-level L4 that can run on either 1 x rcr123a or 2 x 123a primaries.

Here is mine. Puts out 200 lumen on high, and also has a nice useful low.

TW4DBoxterwotape.jpg

hojobones

Newly Enlightened
That modded surefire looks awesome. How would one go about getting one of those?

UWAK

Enlightened
Well, you could always have Milkyspit change out the emitter and driver circuit for a pretty reasonable price, and then you would have a much higher output, multi-level L4 that can run on either 1 x rcr123a or 2 x 123a primaries.

Here is mine. Puts out 200 lumen on high, and also has a nice useful low.

TW4DBoxterwotape.jpg

What's Milkyspit put into you TW4D? Cheers!

Frids

hojobones

Newly Enlightened
just when i think i have some money saved up, here comes another light i need to have. i love all of them. I looked at your review page and it almost looked like the E1B had more flood than the TW4D...I pm'ed milky but what will I need to get to get one of these lights made up? I love my L4 and would love a smaller brighter verision. thanks for all of your responses