The 17670 p60 Dropin Quest

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Hello Folks!

I am not completly satisfied with the current range of drop-in modules. Nothing really suits my needs. And yes. I have read the ongoing P60 drop-in module thread, and many more.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=193992&page=3

The wish list is as follows:
* 3.6 Volt 17670 capable and thus not too high current draw.
* Rather shallow reflector for maglitish big sidespill.
* Single or dual mode. NO strobe/SOS.
* An effective regulating board.
* A high bin cree emitter with low VF.
* Runtime at least 2 hours regulated on high.

Dereelight modules seems really good for 18650 rechargeable batteries. But current draw Is 1.2 Amps on high which would give low runtime on 17670 batteries and I have read about noticeable PWM flickering on low modes.

I just got an SKU 1343 module from DX, but it had a horrible ringy beam and a much too narrow side spill. Its runtime is supposed to be good on 6 Volts according to Chevrofreak in this test:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=174197
But what about 3.6 Volts?

Perhaps I am left to mix and match parts from DX/Kai to make my own drop-in.
I have found my perfect reflector in my old DX cree dropin, though unsure of which SKU it is. I think it was $12.50 when it came.

(Added info since my post in Homemade and modified: My old drop-in is modified with a Cree Q2. I have no idea what kind of driver it has an how efficient it is. Still runs on my first new 17670 battery and has been used at work for approximately an hour total. Voltage has dropped to 3,8 volts.)

One idea is to use a 7135 AMC board that pushes 750 mAmps to the LED instead of the one already in place. I am quite sure that the stock board is better optimized for two 123 batteries at 6 Volts rather than 17670 at 3.6 V.

Any suggestions?

(This was first posted at Homemade and modified, but a moderator in his unquestionable wisdom found that it was good and just to close the thread. The reason was that drop-ins had nothing to do with modifications. Furthermore, a lot of threads about drop-ins had befouled his jurisdiction. I, however, was unsure where to post as it involves some thoughts about modding.)

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
It looks really nice, closest to the ideal, so far. It would be nice with some beamshots on the Wolf Eyes unit. It is a bit costly with international shipping though.

Flash007

Enlightened
For a cheaper solution, I will consider seriously the SKU 11074 from DX.

It's a Q5 WC selected bin.

I have received mine some days ago.

It has a multi-mode menu (repartited in 5 mode), wich include :

1) Low --> High
2) High --> Medium --> Tactical Strobe
3) Ramping variable brightness
4) Low --> Medium --> High --> Tactical Strobe --> SOS
5) High --> Medium --> Low

You can use it in High --> Low sequence if you want only dual mode.

I think you can expect one hour runtime on high with a 17670.
Medium mode is sufficiently bright also, with extended runtime off course.

Beam is not perfect, it's little ringy around the spot, but not a problem in practical use.

The regulation is excellent, and it works perfectly and only with a 17670/18650 cell.

Personally, I use it in High-Mid-Low sequence, it covers all my need.

Look at the excellent review here :

http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/review.html

Wolf-Eyes last R2 WC bin with low vf must be perfect, but with a higher price.

Beam is almost perfect in the Wolf-Eyes drop-ins, I know it because I own 4 drop-ins (all Cree P4) : two with single mode 3,7v -->13v, and two with 4-mode (High-Mid-Low-Strobe) 3,7v --> 6v.

The only negative I found in these drop-ins is the fact that they don't have selected bin.

The new R2 in limited quantity is selected WC bin. Excellent work !
Maybe I'll buy from PTS the newest R2 WC low vf with 4-mode.