Help a newbie pick a light for EMS and 'social' work.

Tao

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I've been reading here and lurking for awhile, and frankly, I'm overwhelmed with all of the information.

Instead of guess, and probably end up wasting money, I figured I'll ask, just to make sure I get what I'm looking for.

Basically, I need a replacement for my xenon scorpion that I can carry with me on the ambulance. It'll be used to light up and read street signs from less than 30 yards, and used to investigate bumps in the night at no more than in-the-house ranges.

I'll throw out this wishlist, in the hopes there is a light out there that fits:
  • Brighter than the xenon scorpion.
  • Spotlight type beam. I need all the light on one bright point right away.
  • The same rough size as the scorpion, because it'll be in my cargo pocket most of the time.
  • LED so I can't blow bulbs.
  • Momentary with some pressure, and then stays on with a click like the scorpion. If I need light, I need all the light it can give me, right now, with the ability to use the momentary for just little bursts.
  • Last but not least, it has to be compatible with these rechargeable CR123A batteries from DX. The info said compatible with regular 123A batteries, but I found out that wasn't true when I fried the bulbs in my xenon scorpion, because of the higher voltage. :stupid: I like CR123A lights, but refuse to buy any more non-rechargeables.
Of course, what seems to be the easy choice is the LED scorpion, but I've read that the batteries I mentioned can blow it despite being LED, and that the luxeon LED is already out dated and doesn't compare to newer LEDs or the xenon scorpion.

Ugh. So this is where I'm simply overwhelmed by all the choices and tweaks and models and specs.

Any suggestions, but especially models, or things to look for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Patriot

Flashaholic
The problem you're going to have is finding many lights using the battery that you've specified.

If you open of your parameters to RCR123 (rechargeables) then you'll have a plethora of lights to choose from. :)

Tao

Newly Enlightened
The problem you're going to have is finding many lights using the battery that you've specified.

If you open of your parameters to RCR123 (rechargeables) then you'll have a plethora of lights to choose from. :)

I thought what I have (rechargeable CR123A) was the same as, or could be called RCR123...

Grrr.

I have this charger: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236

I'm willing to buy another set of batteries, I guess. What kind of battery, that I can use with this charger, would give me the most options?

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... even though I don't have one of these, it might work well for you. It has a momentary switch with a click for on. It's the LumaPower IncenDio that takes one CR123/RCR123 and can be ordered from Batteryjunction:

IncenDio

Price is $53 and it has gotten good reviews here on CPF as a nice EDC.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Novatac 120P - you can program it for tactical momentary on and you can program the primary setting to the full 120Lumens then set up the other settings with lower lumen's for other tasks.

And it is compatible with RCR123A's.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tao, if you want something really really bright, get a Malkoff M60. If you think it may be too bright, get a M60L. You can then drop that into a Cabela's 6P clone, or get a genuine Surefire. ($42 for a 6P on the b/s/t board, $47 for Z2s is the going rate on eBay recently, or get a G2 for $30ish). Cabela's light can be found here.

It will cost you $68 shipped for any Malkoff; the Cabela's should be about $25 shipped. None of the Surefires come with a clicky; they use a momentary with a twist-on. The Cabela's uses a clicky, which some have found flaky but had quickly replaced. I'll probably buy one of those combos in the very near future and run Surefire lamp assemblies in it.

I know for a fact that the Malkoff will run on two RCR123s - or anything between 3.7 volts and 9 volts (two of your batteries run between 7.4 volts and 6.4 volts - they'll do fine) but I do not know if the Inova will.

Now, on the Inovas - I had a near miss with a T2, and the only reason I don't own one now is I hesitated to buy one after hearing rumors of the 2008 models and got downsized. They make lights built like tanks, and my XO is still the gold standard for beam quality. The ergonomics, build quality, fit and finish, regulation (not to mention the lustworthy industrial design) - they are all top notch. If you know you won't fry it, you won't be disappointed.

Tao

Newly Enlightened
I'm really liking the Inova T2, especially being an American company with top notch customer service.

I just wish someone could tell me if my rechargeable batteries will work in this thing.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Tao --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect flashlight.

:wave:
_

Tao

Newly Enlightened
to Tao --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect flashlight.

:wave:
_

Thanks, glad to be here.

I'm now trying to decide between the 2008 Inova T2, and the Fenix TK10.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fenix has the momentary, and then click in for constant on just like the scorpion, right? Then, to change from high to low, you twist the bezel.

It also looks like rechargeables will work in it, correct?

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Looking at the specs on the batteries you have... those things aren't going to last very long in a "bright"" light. Most primary CR123's are well over 1000mAh, the ones you have are listed as 350mAh. You can find RCR123's with a 3.0V output with around 750mAh rating pretty easily. If you stick with batteries that are limited to the CR123 size, with a ~3.0V output, they should work just fine in any CR123 light. If you use the ~3.7V sized rechargeable CR123's you can (will) blow the bulb/LED in many lights. Some lights will run the higher output (~3.7V) RCR123's just fine, and I believe the Fenix P3D and T1 will.

I used to run with the squad (EMT) but had to give it up due to changing work schedule at my "real" job :mecry:. Still run with the FD though :). The Inova T series lights are great for what you want, I carried a T2 and T3 for a long time. Now I carry a SureFire U2 @ all times (plus a couple other lights!). Its easy to operate with gloves on (one handed even) and has 6 different levels that are easy to change.

Just my $.02
Roger

HKJ

Flashaholic
If you use the ~3.7V sized rechargeable CR123's you can (will) blow the bulb/LED in many lights. Some lights will run the higher output (~3.7V) RCR123's just fine, and I believe the Fenix P3D and T1 will.

A general rule for LED flashlights:
1 x CR123A check specifications for support of 3.7 volt batteries.

2 x CR123A they will usual work with 2 x 3.7 volt batteries.

The problem is that white leds needs between 3.0 and 3.6 volt.
For a 1 x CR123A flashlight it means a boost converter and if your put in anything with above 3 volt it will go into direct drive.

A 2 x CR123A flashlight has a buck converter that reduces the voltage and it can reduce 6 or 7.4 volt to 3.6 volt without any problems.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened

the fenix has the momentary, and then click in for constant on just like the scorpion, right? Then, to change from high to low, you twist the bezel.

It also looks like rechargeables will work in it, correct?

Yes.

I think it has the same circuitry as the T1 so also yes.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the Lifepo batteries. The scorpion Led will handle them. ALmost any Led will...it's just that Xenon are very touchy about a bit too much voltage. You can also consider the dereelight. It has a monentary on, but only certain of their drop in's can use the 2 cr123 batteries. I think you're much better off the go to a 18650 battery. 2 to 4 times the runtime..much larger choice of lights.
THe Lumapower light is also a great choice. SIngle 123- 130 lumens....link
http://www.batteryjunction.com/incendio.html

You could use your DX batteries...carry a few spares too.

Last edited:

Tao

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions and explanations of the rechargeable 123's.

I just took the plunge on a fenix TK10. If that one isn't everything I need, I'll try out the '08 inova T2.

Tao

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the TK10 is the best light I've ever had, and will serve all my needs very well. :twothumbs

Took the liberty of some beam shots, just for S&G's, and figured it wasn't worth starting another thread.

Nikon D80 on S mode, with shutter speed of 2.5.

First, looking down across the garage, about 10 yards.

TK10 on high.
gtk10.jpg

Scorpion.
gscorpion.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nuwai 1 Watt ALX-2611X
gnuwai.jpg

From the house to the dock, about 40 yards.

TK10 on high.
tk10hi.jpg

TK10 on low.
tk10low.jpg

Scorpion
scorpion.jpg

Nuwai
NuwaiALX2611X.jpg

And as I was getting ready for bed, I heard some strange noises in the basement, so I put the TK10 back on the HD shotgun to check it out. I nearly didn't make it, but thanks to the TK10 blinding the creature I was able to overcome the dreaded flesh eating Ginger-Zombie.

gingerzombie.jpg

[/FONT]

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Well as long as you didn't bite off more than you could chew :crackup:

Congrats on your new light. Fenix is a solid choice.

Chances are you'll be back for more and then you can pick up something that can handle rechargeables.

I would look at something from Novatac, which will be even easier to tote around than the T10.