Fenix TK10 or something from Surefire as small tactical light?

lukx

Newly Enlightened
I'm a bit lost. I'm looking for small flashlight that I'll be able to use as pocket and also tactical light mounted on picatinny rail. I heard that Fenix TK10 is very nice. But maybe it's worth to pay a bit more for Surefire?
But what model? It's so many that I really have no idea what to choose.
I don't want to go too crazy let's say 200$ is a limit. and as I said the size not to big. First I though about Surefire E1B Backup but I'm not sure about it's tactical use. Oh and waterproofness is also important I would like to use it at 3m under the water. I have to admit that the thing I like about the Fenix light is also that it's available in od green color :). So help me guys, pretty please.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I'd get a Surefire G2 or G2 LED.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/878/sesent/00
^^
G2-$36 Available in four colors and camo-$42 (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24501/sesent/00)

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/24460/G2supandreg-sup-LED
^^^^
G2 LED-$65 Available in two colors

Both the G2 and G2 LED can accommodate drop-ins, which are fairly inexpensive and allow you to stay current with LED technology. You can mount them with a standard flashlight mount to a weapon, and they are waterproof, but I'm not sure to what depth. I wouldn't use a TK10 for tactical applications, because of the forward clicky switch.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Fenix TK10 has a diameter of 1" on some parts of the body and is a very rugged light. It also has a very high output on high and a decent runtime on low.

But Surefire is made for gun and other tactical usage and they are all very rugged too. The light output on Surefire is a bit lower.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I wouldn't use a TK10 for tactical applications, because of the forward clicky switch.

Just to explain this:

The Surefire has a non-locking button, your press it and it lights up, release it and it turns off. To get permanent light your have to turn the tail of the light.

On Fenix your press the button halfway and it turns on, press it fully and it stays on. This can be a problem in a life/dead situation, if your press it fully when your only want to press it halfway.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK10 has a diameter of 1" on some parts of the body and is a very rugged light. It also has a very high output on high and a decent runtime on low.

But Surefire is made for gun and other tactical usage and they are all very rugged too. The light output on Surefire is a bit lower.
The light output on Surefire is a bit lower.

The output comes from the LED module , not from the flashlight. Just put a Malkoff in there if you want maximum output and not so great runtimes.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The output comes from the LED module , not from the flashlight. Just put a Malkoff in there if you want maximum output and not so great runtimes.

Your can not replace the led/bulb module in all Surefires, and I do not believe that Malkoff has multiple brigthness levels, only very high with short runtime (That might be what the OP wants).

lukx

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, this Nitrolon material is interesting.
I was thinking... I noticed that G2 standard one the whole body is Nitrolon.
The G2 LED, the front is Aluminium...but I noticed that I coudl buy P60 LED assembly for the standard G2 (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/24502/P60L-LED-Assembly)
so basically I will have same thing as G2 LED but with whole body Nitrolon right? Wouldn't it be the best option? Plus I could have it in OD color :).

e2x2e

Enlightened
The Aluminum head on the G2 LED helps with heatsinking. With a Nitrolon head, you shouldn't run the light for extended periods of time as heat will damage the LED and shorten its life.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Surefire had a heat problem in the G2, the standard surefire P60L would turn down the brightness due to heat.

I believe that a G2 with aluminum head is a bit of contradiction, either your get a nitrolon flashlight or a aluminum flashlight (It is called 6P), no reason to get a mix of the two (If your are working at very low temperature, your might have another opinion).

lukx

Newly Enlightened
Oh, It's good to know.
Do you recommend LED over standard one?

USM0083

Enlightened
Get a G2 for $36.00, a Solarforce bezel for heatsinking http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3562

and the Cree dropin of your choice. I have a DX R2 cree in my G2Z and it's as bright as my TK10, but with a slightly tighter beam. There is a darker ring around the hotspot (possible due to my backing the pill out to make electrical contact) but it's only noticeable against a white wall.

Total cost will be around $60 and has the advantage of upgradability and availability of aftermarket and factory accessories.

If you want a premium dropin, wait for a Malkoff, get a BOG or one of these:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1-25-114

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your can not replace the led/bulb module in all Surefires, and I do not believe that Malkoff has multiple brigthness levels, only very high with short runtime (That might be what the OP wants).
Wolf-Eyes has multiple-brightness LED modules. So Does Dereelight, the P60 form factor is very popular. Yes, you can replace the LED or the incandescent lamp assembly in most popular SureFire models: G2, 6P, G2L, 6PL, 6P Defender, G2Z, Z2, Z3, G3, 9P, C2, C2L, C3, M2, D3, Z3. There is no shortage of options to choose from.

Virtually, every SureFire light that uses a P60, P61, P90 or the P91 can get an upgrade with either another incan lamp assembly or with the latest LED module the market has to offer.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Oh, It's good to know.
Do you recommend LED over standard one?

Your did not specify who your are asking, but I will give an answer:

I prefer leds, they are brighter and uses less power.

But some other people will explain that the color rendering of leds are a lot worse than incandescent. This is very important if your are a doctor!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Virtually, every SureFire light that uses a P60, P61, P90 or the P91 can get an upgrade with either another incan lamp assembly or with the latest LED module the market has to offer.

Is it a Surefire if it has a upgrade module from another manufactur? :p

With non-Surefire upgrades your might have to be very careful with the G2, I do not believe all of them has temperature control.

lukx

Newly Enlightened
well I think that G2 LED I will get.
It's better to have 12H working time option and not suddenly run out of light :)

USM0083

Enlightened
well I think that G2 LED I will get.
It's better to have 12H working time option and not suddenly run out of light :)
The P60L is often overlooked here on CPF because it's "only" 80 lumens. I believe SF made the right decision in balancing output and runtime, especially considering the target market. It should be noted that a G2L will only run 3 hours at "tactical" output, then dropoff as the batts run down. Between hour 4 and 10 the output is rather low (15 lumens or less.) Still, 3 hours of ~80 lumens, another hour of 40+ (average for the hour) plus the remaining time in "moon mode" isn't all that bad.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176621

Last edited: